Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldcoaster

An Aussie moving to the UK

128 posts in this topic

Forget Leeds and Manchester. Chester or York

Fantastic history, many areas of interest and big cities nearby.

Good luck

What work are you after?

Leeds or Manchester for RL

York and Chester both great options too.

York is great for shopping and entertainment.

Leeds is great if you are a student or on a hen/stag do or standing in bars trying to look so cool you have forgotten to actually enjoy yourself.

LEEDS would be the perfect base for you as there are many super league teams withiin public transport commuting distance . short let rents tend to be cheaper than london and even manchester .the city centre is more concentrated than manchester .

job prospects in leeds i would venture are also better depending of course on what you want to do but there is a strong financial services sector which is always looking to recuit and of course there is a steady stream of bar or hotel work with leeds been one of the major clubbing venues in the country'

then of course theres the yorkshire dales only a short distance away which are the most beautiful part of the country to visit .

try looking online for employment oppotunities in leeds or west yorkshire to see if they suit your skills then look at rental market for places to stay . avoid south leeds or harehills at all costs.

of course if you move to leeds you would see the super league champions and with luck world champions on a regular basis and enjoy the vibe in the world famous south stand at headingley .

there is quite a large anzac community already in the north leeds area so thats another plus.

If you don't go to Leeds, Manchester, or Liverpool, then you should move to Bristol, as its a lovely city, you could watch the 2 Bristol Sonics amateur teams and support Swindon St George who are just down the road. ;) Also you could support the new semi-professional University of Gloucestershire All Golds in the 2nd Level of the Tier 2 'Championships'. ;)

Leeds as a major financial centre, in other words its where the London based banks have situated their call centres as labour is cheap and plentiful.

Trust me, for jobs Manchester has more to offer, especially in terms of marketing and advertising.

Best throw Donny into the mix then, short drive to everywhere and a night life as good as anywhere (Not sure about work, but not being British should put you in a good position for a job)

but an absolute hole

Its nicer than SOME places and not as nice as others you pay your money takes your choice...

Leeds as a major financial centre, in other words its where the London based banks have situated their call centres as labour is cheap and plentiful.

Trust me, for jobs Manchester has more to offer, especially in terms of marketing and advertising.

leeds its the home of a number of both personal and industry insurance companies and i dont mean the call centre for them also the home of at least 3 major individual share trading companies also the uk and europe devolopment headquarters for GE capital and a number of other companies .

manchester has a number of low quality banking jobs and minor advertising sub offices of london based firms also one of the highest crime rates in england and of course no professional rugby league teams

Ask Dally,he's an Aussie who used to post on here with knoweldge of RL area's.There has been a lot said about Manchester,but beware of the gangsters and drive by shootings,maybe thats why they get so many cash handouts from the govt

City of York, quite possibly the greatest place on earth.

City of York, quite possibly the greatest place on earth.

Agreed .When I come home I always have a ride over to York.My favourite City

Hi all,

Later this month I'm moving to the UK for 12 months on a working holiday. As a massive RL and SL fan, I am keen to live somewhere in the North that has a SL team I can follow.

Which RL city / town would be the best for an Aussie on a working holiday to live in? Obviously I'd want somewhere with decent job prospects, But importantly also have a good RL culture. I plan on adopting the local team as my own.

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated

Some advice for free, Firstly try the London Suburbs to live in not the north, there are lots of Aussies and Kiwis in Greater London but few and far between in the north, Plus you can pick up TNT (Aussuie expat free mag) not available in the north.AFAIK.

Secondly, London has THE LONDON BRONCOS and Craig Gower with his missus Lady Luck herself, for top line RL.

Thirdly, the UK unlike Australia does not suffer from the tyranny of distance. Many northern clubs play on a Sunday and are about 3 hours by Public Transport direct from London so it's not out of the question to go up for the day.

Fourth point - As many from the Antipodes will tell you the North of England even in summer is Chill-I and an added problem experienced by Aussies is the northern accent. Remember just how unintelligible Shaun Edwards was during his learning experience under Wayne Bennett on the Broncos Staff or how Players srtuggled to understand Russell Smith's accent when refereeing in the NRL. London of course is where your nations dialect originated mate !.

Stay in the south during your OE Goldcoaster, you know it makes sense ;)

Goldcoaster, I did similar about a decade ago spending 8 weeks in Leeds doing temp work and getting to 1 or 2 games a weekend. The only real option if you want a decent size city that has strong RL culture is Leeds. Manchester, is a better city, and is surrounded by RL clubs, but you won't find much mention of RL unless a big match is on or you go looking for it. Leeds however, as a city follows RL to a similar extent to the East coast of Australia. The local paper, the Yorkshire evening post often has a sports section with more than half dedicated to RL. I'm not sure what the job prospects are like up there at the moment (I'd guess fairly grim like most of the country), but Leeds has traditionally had a decent finance industry.

Depending on what you do for work, you may be better off living in London where jobs are more plentiful and then having a few weekend trips away to the North to catch as many games as possible. For the regular season you'll probably have to make your own way up North, but come World Cup time there will be a few organised tours around. We're planning on organising tours to Cardiff and Manchester from London for the World Cup.

Lastly, if you're just looking for unskilled work or odd jobs consider Perpignon for the summer. It's a great place! I'm sure the Catalans fans on here could let you know what the prospect would be of picking up some work down there.

so there you have it

london with no mention of rugby league and even if you hear of it hard to get to the natives are not very friendly also helps if you speak a forign language if you want to try communicate with the locals

liverpool not a rl team in site and you should never trust a scoucer

hull plenty of rugby league but no jobs and your likely to get your head kicked in on a night out

manchester some jobs no rugby league in the city and the crime capital of the north

york great city if your looking for history but a bit of a drive to a super league club and not many jobs

LEEDS top for rugby league better chance of a job than anywere other than london geat night life and the freindliest bunch of people in the world unless your a lancastrian

we even have shops selling kangaroo burgers

"london with no mention of rugby league and even if you hear of it hard to get to the natives are not very friendly also helps if you speak a forign language if you want to try communicate with the locals

hull plenty of rugby league but no jobs and your likely to get your head kicked in on a night out

manchester some jobs no rugby league in the city and the crime capital of the north

york great city if your looking for history but a bit of a drive to a super league club and not many jobs

LEEDS top for rugby league better chance of a job than anywere other than london geat night life and the freindliest bunch of people in the world unless your a lancastrian

The first part of your post sort of doesn't really back up that claim :D

Erm, you must try a real pie while you're over here...!

Erm, you must try a real pie while you're over here...!

so true

WILSONS award winning pies from crossgates LEEDS

"london with no mention of rugby league and even if you hear of it hard to get to the natives are not very friendly also helps if you speak a forign language if you want to try communicate with the locals

The first part of your post sort of doesn't really back up that claim :D

what can i say we all have our little predudices we need to keep in check i suppose ;)

Best throw Donny into the mix then, short drive to everywhere and a night life as good as anywhere (Not sure about work, but not being British should put you in a good position for a job)

As an Australian you'd also have the added bonus of being in the one town in England that makes Australia look progressive/culturally enlightened.

Plus, you'd fit right in with your mullet/tasche combo.

#ducksforcover

For any Aussie Rugby League fans wanting to move to the UK , i would say move to Leeds.

Gosh! Do you hate Aussies that much?

Hi all,

Later this month I'm moving to the UK for 12 months on a working holiday. As a massive RL and SL fan, I am keen to live somewhere in the North that has a SL team I can follow.

Which RL city / town would be the best for an Aussie on a working holiday to live in? Obviously I'd want somewhere with decent job prospects, But importantly also have a good RL culture. I plan on adopting the local team as my own.

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated

What do you do for a job?

I run a club in Manchester which you'd be welcome to play with us if you decided to live here.

A couple of friends recruitment companies and I'd be willing to send on your CV to them if you like.

You can get in touch with us via the links below.

@mancuniansrl

Www.mancuniansrl.com

All the best

Dont base where you go purely on finding a RL team pick somewhere thats best for your job. Over here the game is a minor sport with little or no media coverage and what you do get from the clowns Eddie & Stevo make even Fattie Vautin look intelligent.

I've lived in Aus for a while and loved all the TV and newspaper coverage you guys have, and I used to go to ANZ to watch the doggies - I think your going to be in for a real shock when you watch SL (and not a good one).

Wherever you end up I hope you enjoy all the UK has to offer. I guarantee the things you'll enjoy the most is the choice. We have proper supermarkets over here not the lame excuses for a shop like Coles & Woolworths, and you can actually buy alcohol thats not served in brown paper bags !

We have a history that goes back further than your grandmother and if you go to Yorkshire you can visit some of the old slums like Headingley or Wakey or Cas :D