Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goldcoaster

An Aussie moving to the UK

128 posts in this topic

so true

WILSONS award winning pies from crossgates LEEDS

When I come home and go to a game first thing I do is get 2 wilsons pies

If you go to StHelens and you call all ginger haired people Bluey?I'm afraid you will be saying Bluey an awful long time,and they haven't really got sinusitus its just the way they speak :)

If you are a serious about looking for work don't come to England at all! The Country is finished! Do what Canetman said and get to Perpinan, France. However, if you are still certain you are comming over many Aussies I know have made their base in Manchester in recent seasons and all have all stayed in touch with us after playing for my club - Eccles ARLFC.

Erm, you must try a real pie while you're over here...!

You need to be careful with the beer at first as well. If you try what's known as "real ale" you might be suprised to find it has flavour! ;):)

Come to Bradford, which has plenty of cheap modern accommodation in the form of city centre flats in converted mill and office buildings ... built of Yorkshire Sandstone in classical victorian style. Leeds and Manchester buildings are all brick, concrete and glass ... all the history and character of an IKEA wardrobe.

Bradford city centre has reasonable night life and a friendly atmosphere, plus proper beer (though that may well not be much use to an Australian brought up on ersatz lager gunk! ;) ).

Curry capital of the UK. I had a belter last night here ... £25 for three of us.

http://curry-heute.com/?p=10931

Trains run every twenty minutes / half hour into Leeds and there are jobs in both cities. If you have a car, you are far better off in Bradford than either Leeds or Manchester ... both have horrendous traffic and high parking fees.

Best of all you can support the Bradford Bulls at the historic and mighty Odsal Stadium, where we will hopefully be staging rock concerts this year.

If you are a serious about looking for work don't come to England at all!

You jest, I assume., probably because it has not stopped raining for three months in the UK.

Unemployment rate in Manchester is currently 5.5% Click here for full economic details. I'm sure there is a similar one for Leeds, too.

BAE Systems currently list 111 jobs

Siemens currently have 85 job vacancies listed for UK, Ulverston, Lincoln, Manchester, Newcastle, Hebburn - engineering, finance etc and will soon have more when it's Humber Bank wind-turbine facility gets going.

Manchester has a wealth of hi-tech, aerospace and engineering companies to choose from, as I am sure does Leeds and Sheffield.

Come to Bradford, which has plenty of cheap modern accommodation in the form of city centre flats in converted mill and office buildings ... built of Yorkshire Sandstone in classical victorian style. Leeds and Manchester buildings are all brick, concrete and glass ... all the history and character of an IKEA wardrobe.

Bradford city centre has reasonable night life and a friendly atmosphere, plus proper beer (though that may well not be much use to an Australian brought up on ersatz lager gunk! ;) ).

Curry capital of the UK. I had a belter last night here ... £25 for three of us.

Trains run every twenty minutes / half hour into Leeds and there are jobs in both cities. If you have a car, you are far better off in Bradford than either Leeds or Manchester ... both have horrendous traffic and high parking fees.

Best of all you can support the Bradford Bulls at the historic and mighty Odsal Stadium, where we will hopefully be staging rock concerts this year.

Travel insurance could be very expensive

Travel insurance could be very expensive

He'll only need to go the once to Warrington.

:D

He'll only need to go the once to Warrington.

That's sky for you!!

Couch surf for the first month all over the country and make your own mind up on were's best, then hit the Gum Tree for something in the area of your choosing, job done!

Hi all,

Later this month I'm moving to the UK for 12 months on a working holiday. As a massive RL and SL fan, I am keen to live somewhere in the North that has a SL team I can follow.

Which RL city / town would be the best for an Aussie on a working holiday to live in? Obviously I'd want somewhere with decent job prospects, But importantly also have a good RL culture. I plan on adopting the local team as my own.

Any advice from you guys would be much appreciated

dont do it lol

us Bramley lads in the late 60s early 70s used to enjoy the odd friday night in Bradford

us Bramley lads in the late 60s early 70s used to enjoy the odd friday night in Bradford

Every night in Bradford is odd.

It's on the way back is Bradford. I can feel it. Get in now while you can.

Leeds? not bad I quite like it, some of my best mates are from there but it's all fur coat and no knickers.

Bradford is a wonderful place, but it might be a culture shock. I would suggest it has more character than all of Australia put together.

It's on the way back is Bradford. I can feel it. Get in now while you can.

Leeds? not bad I quite like it, some of my best mates are from there but it's all fur coat and no knickers.

Sounds good to me! :D

bring your boots mate any club will sign you because you're an aussie.............

We have no idea what goldcoaster does for a living or anything else about him and have not heard from him for nigh on 50 posts.

Amazing how a thread takes on a life of its own!

Sounds good to me! :D

I just meant it as a phrase, not as in what passes as usual in Salford. ;)

We have no idea what goldcoaster does for a living or anything else about him and have not heard from him for nigh on 50 posts.

Amazing how a thread takes on a life of its own!

Haha, that's true. I didn't want to annoy people. For the record, I have a degree in Human Resources and have been working in that industry for the past 6 years.

I spoke to my brother who lived in York back in 2008, and he reccomended recruitment agencies as the best avenues for work, and the banking/financial sector as a good source of employment. He was also a keen York City Knights and York City FC fan while he was living there :)

Haha, that's true. I didn't want to annoy people. For the record, I have a degree in Human Resources and have been working in that industry for the past 6 years.

I spoke to my brother who lived in York back in 2008, and he reccomended recruitment agencies as the best avenues for work, and the banking/financial sector as a good source of employment. He was also a keen York City Knights and York City FC fan while he was living there :)

HR Degree - Yorkshire best place for you. :P

Only joking, after reading through many of the posts and my York or Chester area suggestion, I actually think you'd be best around London ( HR wages, you'll be fine) and pick your games / team.

UK is a small country compared to OZ - London to Hull 4/5 hours / London - Leeds 3 1/2 to 4 hrs / London to warrington 3hrs max

Any how, good luck and best wishes

HR Degree - Yorkshire best place for you. :P

UK is a small country compared to OZ - London to Hull 4/5 hours / London - Leeds 3 1/2 to 4 hrs / London to warrington 3hrs max

London to Lancashire 3hrs, but you'll never get that time back.