Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

TRL USofA helpdesk

105 posts in this topic

the team came up with the goods for the Paris gig.

Off to the States in three weeks-Washington, then by train to New York with the family for a week.

We've all got a good idea where we want to go and what to see. BB King's Blues lounge for my birthday is on my list.

But I wonder if anyone had any impressions/experiences/ opinions and so on of their own about the place: food supping, people, that kind of thing. My thoights are cenrred entirely on American fiction, tv, films and music and they are bound to be off the mark.

Great people, big portions, not big on salad, shopping generally cheaper.

Brilliant national (and state) parks. If you like the outdoors, there are plenty of trails and parks are generally very well looked after.

(null)

Oh they also only have 3 types of cheese, processed cheddar, processed Swiss and squirty from a tube...

Oh as for money, I generally use a prepaid card from fairfx. Travellers cheques can get harder to use these days.

Oh they also only have 3 types of cheese, processed cheddar, processed Swiss and squirty from a tube...

The cheese industry in the USA has improved a lot in recent years, and if you look for it, you can get good stuff.

They also have this magnificently-named national park. :D

aint going all that way to samlple the feckin cheese :D

only kidding

Tried to get into the US A twice now. Been refused a visa both times, apparently due to political affiliations, my mum said the only way I would get into America would be to either travel to Cuba, and try and get refugee status (or I could do a Felix Baumgartner & parachute in)

That reminds me. You will need to apply for one of these -

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

It costs about a tenner. Don't use a site saying they will do it for you as they charge for something that is easy.

all in hand

Lots of good hand crafted beers (especially Pale Ales) coming out of the US now. Birthday sounds like a good excuse to try a few.

sorry mate going to the wrong side of the USA,west coast is best been to both

I'm sure I'll get round to it befvore I snuff it.

I'm more than happy (to say the least) with the plans we've made.

I love the architecture of NY and want to photograph it.

I'm sure I'll get round to it befvore I snuff it.

I'm more than happy (to say the least) with the plans we've made.

I love the architecture of NY and want to photograph it.

So why did you ask for advice,if your plans are set?Strange

So why did you ask for advice,if your plans are set?Strange

because I wanted to get other peoples' impressions and thoughts

it's kinda nice to do that

I've never been to America and have massive preconceptions so other peoples' experiences, impressions and thoughts are interesting to me.

NY is a great city, lots to see and photograph.

People a generally very nice too.

Back in 1997, I spent a couple of weeks (don't say fortnight, they don't know what it means) based in Baltimore, staying with a mate who was working there at the time. His apartment was in Fells Point which was just about the nicest place I saw in all the time I was there. It's got a beautiful waterfront, plenty of bars and even an historic feel to it, which you'll struggle to find in most places in the States. Oh, and the bars all sell seafood to die for in that part of the World.

Fells Point

Also travelled to Philadelphia, NY and a few other places such as York and Lancaster , which are actually only about 20 miles apart over there. Didn't much care for Philadelphia but New York has to be experienced. We only spent a night there but you'll probably find that even a week isn't enough. If you get the chance, make sure a trip to Ellis Island on the ferry is on your list of things to do. There is a very moving museum there telling the stories of the lucky and not so lucky people who tried to gain entry into the States and whose futures were decided in a matter of a minute or two. (Check before you make plans though as Hurricane Sandy meant it was shut for a while.) Had a wander up the Empire State Building as well, just looking at the board listing the companies that inhabit the place is mind blowing.

Keep your eyes peeled while you're there as well, whilst in a taxi driving down 5th ave, a bloke in a Hull FC shirt jogged past us.

Made my day! :D

Spent a lot of time in New York over the last couple of years.

It is a great city to walk around, especially the Lower East Side, but there is plenty all over.

For a bit of history then try the tenement museum, you have to book tours but they were very interesting.

Walk the high line (old railway track now a footpath)

Also do the main sites - Empire State, Statue of Liberty (free views if you take the Staten Island Ferry). If you want to get views of the Empire State then go up to the Top of the Rock (Rockerfeller Centre) - one at night, one during the day.

I can recommend many bars but my favourite is the Pony Bar in Hells Kitchen. Always 20 American Craft beers on tap and a great place to spend an early evening at.

That reminds me. You will need to apply for one of these -

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

It costs about a tenner. Don't use a site saying they will do it for you as they charge for something that is easy.

Thanks for that! Transit via San Francisco on my way back from Brisbane and it seems I need one of those things.

New York is a brilliant city. I love it. Been three times. Loads to see and do, museums, parks, galleries. Great food. Nice people.

Never been to Washington.

You robbed a bank L'Ang or what? I?ll text you the Fev v Leigh scores if you miss the game.

New York is a brilliant city. I love it. Been three times. Loads to see and do, museums, parks, galleries. Great food. Nice people.

Never been to Washington.

You robbed a bank L'Ang or what? I?ll text you the Fev v Leigh scores if you miss the game.

thanks Mark

no banks robbed, just a lifetime of graft, and don't take this the wrong way, but I don't give a flying fart about Featherstone Rovers..