Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blind side johnny

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

149 posts in this topic

There are 60 bedrooms apart from the conference rooms etc etc and the rooms I've stayed in have been quite large so I think they would certainly fit in.

They are meant to work you know....60 bedrooms indeed!!

They are meant to work you know....60 bedrooms indeed!!

ha ha I'll set em up...

After all the RFL did for Bradford, it's a disgrace they've done nothing about this. And they let Blackpool go to the wall.

I'd have thought converting a hotel into office space would be a pretty expensive job - the RFL have more pressing things to spend money on.

After all the RFL did for Bradford, it's a disgrace they've done nothing about this. And they let Blackpool go to the wall.

I'd have thought converting a hotel into office space would be a pretty expensive job - the RFL have more pressing things to spend money on.

I don't seriously think they should buy it/move from Red Hall, but I do think we/they need to protect and preserve the heritage of TGG

...and yes, lots more pressing items on the agenda....maybe announcing sponsorship of World Cup, SL, Championships and Challenge Cup have been sorted ...amongst other things

I went last year to see the museum and thought what a great idea it would be to house the RL HQ there and also

a Rugby League Hall of Fame.

The baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown NY is housed where the game was alleged to have started and is huge.

I realise our sport is not as big as baseball,but what an oportunity for all Rugby League's history and future based in the one place.

If the rfl are quick they may get the George at a good price .

I don't seriously think they should buy it/move from Red Hall, but I do think we/they need to protect and preserve the heritage of TGG

Well I wouldn't know anything about that, my club are in SL. :)

i agree with one or two others, the rfl should move lock stock and barrel to the george, the spiritual home of TGG.......

The Rugby League museum which is located in the George Hotel is nothing to do with the RFL so I think the likelihood of them wanting to get involved in anything to do with this is zero. They proved how much they value the sport's history in 1995 when the centenary passed virtually unnoticed.

Some time ago (four years or so) each club was asked by the RFL to nominate a Heritage Officer and I took on the role for Barrow RFC. After 15 emails to the guy at Red Hall charged with coordinating all of the heritage stuff I gave up trying to contact him. I know he was receiving them because in the end I contacted somebody else at Red Hall who ensured he received them all - I was copied into their emails). I am still waiting for a reply from this very, very ignorant man (I won't name him but I would really like to!!!). As far as I am aware he is still getting paid a regular salary despite his rudeness!! And yes, I did complain to his masters but got no response :).

Historically (no pun intended) the RFL has for years ignored the game's heritage and much valuable archive stuff has been lost (especially old film footage which was kept in wet conditions for years). Tony Collins has done much to retain what little has been salvaged down the years and the museum at the George Hotel represents only a very, very small part of the sport's history. I think most of the stuff currently displayed comes from Stevo's private collection (though I am not 100% certain of this).

It sure needs keeping in one place but it needs to be built upon in larger premises. Compared to the National Soccer Museum (originally at Preston but now in Manchester) the display at Huddersfield is very small, though excellent. The soccer museum was funded largely from the National Lottery Heritage Fund so I see no reason why a similar venture for RL could not be funded the same way.

As far as I am concerned I would like to see it located at the George Hotel which (if funding was available) could perhaps be purchased and converted into a massive museum and research centre for the sport's historians. Surely the fact that RL was "born" at a meeting within the building makes the George worth saving as a building of some significance.

Don't let ths drop without us making a rel noise about this, I intend to write to mr wood tomorrow to see what his views are...will let you know if I gets reply....

The Rugby League museum which is located in the George Hotel is nothing to do with the RFL so I think the likelihood of them wanting to get involved in anything to do with this is zero. They proved how much they value the sport's history in 1995 when the centenary passed virtually unnoticed...

Apart from dedicating a whole domestic season and World Cup to it, you mean...?

Apart from dedicating a whole domestic season and World Cup to it, you mean...?

Don't be daft Gavin. The whole centenary was a shambles as anybody with a modicum of interest in the sport's heritage knows only too well. The number of "planned" events which were abandoned was inexcusable as many older members of this forum will remember only too well.

Don't be daft Gavin. The whole centenary was a shambles as anybody with a modicum of interest in the sport's heritage knows only too well. The number of "planned" events which were abandoned was inexcusable as many older members of this forum will remember only too well.

steady keith.... theyll be sending you off to get thi measured up for a flat cap if you carry on owd lad!

Overnighter booked for june 22nd! See ya then! :lol:

You don't get measured for a flat cap. Any size will do as long as it covers your eyes and your ears. That may be why you didn't see the Centenary celebrations - unless of course you chose to boycott them on moral grounds. :lol:

I didn't mention morals. Im just a miserable morngy b'stard!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You don't get measured for a flat cap. Any size will do as long as it covers your eyes and your ears. That may be why you didn't see the Centenary celebrations - unless of course you chose to boycott them on moral grounds.

I believe a lot of other stuff was planned that never happened. Torpedoed by the advent of Super League and Mo's lack of interest.

Don't let ths drop without us making a rel noise about this, I intend to write to mr wood tomorrow to see what his views are...will let you know if I gets reply....

Well done Pie,I hope you can get some interest going,hope you can get a reply.

I hope this thread doesn't go the way of other threads with sly digs about blame or SL/CC clubs ,but it looks like it will.

Well done Pie,I hope you can get some interest going,hope you can get a reply.

I hope this thread doesn't go the way of other threads with sly digs about blame or SL/CC clubs ,but it looks like it will.

Not from me it won't. I'm trying to make light of references to my stance ont he other thread..... it needn't go down that route!! - we've all had our say on that methinks.So, back on topic. I actually mourn the loss of the George hotel. |The spiritual evolotion - the big bang - the chism - call it what you will, began there. There game we all love (in our own) way, what we shout and oft ARGUE about... commence in there. Sad to see it closed down and unlikely to have any further connection with the game.

My concern is that the contents of the Heritage Centre get impounded by the hotel owners or liquidators, or that they deteriorate in some way. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the guy who has put so much time and effort into the centre. Is he around in the winter?

the RFL needs to sell red hall and move too media city...not the george hotel

Quite.

do they own red hall? I thought they leased it from Leeds City Council.

if they do own it, selling it will be a major undertaking and could take years.

If they lease it they might find themselves paying the lease off, paying the cost of vacating the place, paying for the George-either buying or leasing, and paying for setting it up.

The George is in a fantastic setting, is a beautiful building, and yes there is the history, but it is perhaps the practicalities that get in the way.

By the way I sem to remember that it was David Howes who was in charge of the centeneary celbration, which IMHO wqas good in parts.

I think the best idea is to buy the George and enlarge the museum, including a proper hall of fame at the same time. Make sure there is a bar and restaurant in there too, and a shop of course. A quick google search suggests a guide price of GBP1.4million but it may well be less now if it's not a going concern.

This sort of project is exactly what the Heritage Lottery Fund was set up for. It would be absolutely criminal if the RFL passed up on this opportunity.

This sort of project is exactly what the Heritage Lottery Fund was set up for. It would be absolutely criminal if the RFL passed up on this opportunity.

With the best possible award with the most favourable conditions that would need the RFL needing to raise at least £700,000 (assuming £1.4m) just to buy the building.

In fairness to the RFL, it has just had its government grant slashed. It also committed £1million to buying Odsal last year.

However, what it could do is get o Richard Lewis' case and see if he could co-ordinate a joint-purchase-and-use-as-HQ deal involving the RFL in partnership with other sports organisations.

Huddersfield has a proud sporting tradition and the George is a prestige building by any standards.

My concern is that the contents of the Heritage Centre get impounded by the hotel owners or liquidators, or that they deteriorate in some way.

No - impossible. AfaIaa, the exhibits are all on loan. The liquidators/administrators/whatever cannot take possession of them.