Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blind side johnny

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

149 posts in this topic

Why don't the RFL take £100k off all SL clubs tv money, and £10k off all CC Clubs allocated money and buy the Hotel? Maybe clubs like Leeds, Wigan and Warrington contribute more?

Why don't the RFL take £100k off all SL clubs tv money, and £10k off all CC Clubs allocated money and buy the Hotel? Maybe clubs like Leeds, Wigan and Warrington contribute more?

Yes, let's kill the game to buy a building.

Would that kill the game?

We're talking about clubs that are mostly borderline insolvent and incapable of paying for reserve teams/academies (etc) without coercion.

So let's take 100k off some, more off some of the others and nab 10k off the really poor ones.

Can I be the first to declare my official boycott of the new RFL Hotel?

On moral grounds.

We're talking about clubs that are mostly borderline insolvent and incapable of paying for reserve teams/academies (etc) without coercion.

So let's take 100k off some, more off some of the others and nab 10k off the really poor ones.

Bit this is for the good of the game. Surely fans and clubs would support it?

I 'support' free food for the poor; not sure I'd give the earnings I need to feed myself to achieve it though.

I 'support' free food for the poor; not sure I'd give the earnings I need to feed myself to achieve it though.

Do you would only support it properly when it suites you?

How is it for the good of the game?

The success or otherwise of rugby league in 2013 doesn't depend on the George Hotel even being open let alone being a liability on the RFL balance sheet.

How is it for the good of the game?

The success or otherwise of rugby league in 2013 doesn't depend on the George Hotel even being open let alone being a liability on the RFL balance sheet.

Think of the bad publicity that RL will get if it's aloud to close.

Think of the bad publicity that RL will get if it's aloud to close.

It won't do rugby league any damage at all.

Whilst I appreciate that the closure of the hotel may have created an opportunity to revisit the whole issue of the Heritage Centre, it maybe that the people who have done a sterling job in running the Centre for so may years may well have trodden that path already. Maybe we should wait to hear from them.

Do you would only support it properly when it suites you?

¿Qué?

Yes, I would only lend financial support if I:

a. Had the means (the clubs don't); and

b. Had any guarantee of getting anything back (the clubs don't).

With the best possible award with the most favourable conditions that would need the RFL needing to raise at least £700,000 (assuming £1.4m) just to buy the building.

The HLF website says they fund projects up to GBP5million.

The HLF website says they fund projects up to GBP5million.

They do. But you are highly unlikely to get 100% funding from them. Best case is often 75% and more usual is 50%.

So.....the RFL are now responsible for our economy now? I knew it!

Well, of course, that presupposes that the money would come out of the clubs' budget and that the RFL would make no savings by not paying the rent at Red Hall.

Seems a bit unlikely to me but I agree that we don't have enough information to decide whether it's financially a good deal or not.

How on Earth did the George Hotel get a 3 year license?

Questions need to be asked, and heads must surely roll at the RFL for the downfall of this hotel that has got absolutely nothing to do with them.

I'm OUTRAGED!

How on Earth did the George Hotel get a 3 year license?

Questions need to be asked, and heads must surely roll at the RFL for the downfall of this hotel that has got absolutely nothing to do with them.

I'm OUTRAGED!

And so it begins,well done.

Well, of course, that presupposes that the money would come out of the clubs' budget and that the RFL would make no savings by not paying the rent at Red Hall.

Seems a bit unlikely to me but I agree that we don't have enough information to decide whether it's financially a good deal or not.

They may save money - they may not, I agree we can't know - but they take on more responsibilities and let's assume that right now the George is not fit for purpose as anything other than a hotel. It's not a headquarters/office quite yet and will require work to make it so. More cost, more time.

As for the budget there really is only a finite amount of money in the game and little of it is available to spend on whatever takes the RFL's fancy. Taking money off the clubs really would impact them in a seriously negative way.

Personally, I don't think it'll be a goer but who knows what grants/savings/revenue streams might be available ?

¿Qué?

Yes, I would only lend financial support if I:

a. Had the means (the clubs don't); and

b. Had any guarantee of getting anything back (the clubs don't).

So you would only contribute towards something if you got something back in return? Shocking.

So you would only contribute towards something if you got something back in return? Shocking.

Sounds like perfect business sense to me.

The George Hotel will open again, it's too prestigious a building, in too important a place to stay closes for long

The company that owned and ran it were rubbish, pricing themselves out of the local market (I don't think they realised how much local competition there is) and didnt provide the service they claimed.

It would be superb for the RFL to take over it, but that's too impractical. I'd expect one of the "big" chains to take over after purchasing it for a song