Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blind side johnny

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

149 posts in this topic

Think that is a great idea. I know the actual World Cup have been going round host towns and cities. Get a mobile museum set up

in town/city centres etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath after the absolute farce that was appointing a trophy tour manager!

I wouldn't hold my breath after the absolute farce that was appointing a trophy tour manager!

Why what happened there?

Why what happened there?

My mate applied for the job after it was advertised on the RFL website and got an interview.

They interviewed all day on December 9th at Media City, each one lasted about an hour and included a presentation.

He then heard nothing back from them for a week so assumed he didn't get the job.

The RFL then ring him on December 19th telling my mate that he was their favourite candidate and he pretty much has the job, subject to a few little details that needed ironing out, and they would call him to confirm the following day.

No phone call the following day, or the day after that... My mate then tried ringing them each working day over the holiday period so he knew where he stood and so he could beging preparing for the job.

They then called him back yesterday to tell him that they are now outsourcing the job to an external company.

What an almighty waste of a lot of people's time and resources. Indecision like that must end up costing a fortune!

You won't find a bigger defender of the RFL than me, but that whole episode was utterly perplexing.

There's a hotel being built next to the new Wakefield Trinity stadium, it would be a good home for the history of the game.

Wakefield were a founding member of the Northern Union and were in attendance at the George Hotel in 1895, the location of the new stadium is geographically pretty central to the games support base and is right off the M62 and one junction (about 1.5miles) from the M1. Fans travelling to just about any away game will at some point drive past or very near the location and a stop over would be easy and simple.

I have never visited the place,alway's intended to and it was/is my intention to visit when I come home in a few months.Hope it gets reopened soon

On the market for £1.4 million, apparently. Have a look down the back of your sofas!

Hmmm are you sure. A number of companies, each with no little commercial nous, have tried and failed to make a going concern of it over the years, hence its recent closure. Hotels, like pubs, are very difficult to make money out of nowadays and they require regular investment to maintain their quality. I don't think that anyone will be rushing to buy this.

(Nor do I think the RFL should touch it with a barge pole.)

The companies that had run it clearly didnt have that much commercial nous since they have all gone belly up.

It might be the George is a commercial venture but the rest of the chain has dragged it under.

However from my observations the companies running it have failed on several key areas:

1. Under investment - decor and services have become dated and worn without replacement, visitors immediately become aware that the hotel has seen better days

2. Price: Ties into 1 slightly but they thought it was a 4* hotel and charged accordingly. Sad fact is the lack of investment meant it wasn't close to that and in my experience neither was the service but they charged a lot to stay there when very close are a dozen hotels with better facilities and lower rates

3. Poor marketing: the George hotel has an utterly unique selling point, yet was it ever involved in sports tours, packages for visiting fans? Accommodation for international touring parties? No. They had something utterly unique and failed to sell it.

Somebody could make the George work very well. I very much doubt it's going to be a chain of hotels no one has heard of though

Last time we were in (March 2011), it was deserted.

We decided to have a sandwich, they took ages to come. The beer (Caffreys) wasn't the best I've had by a long way. No draught cider or bottles. We had to search the place to find a member of staff for the bill, and it was expensive. You could tell it was a place on the way down, which was sad really.

The companies that had run it clearly didnt have that much commercial nous since they have all gone belly up.

It might be the George is a commercial venture but the rest of the chain has dragged it under.

However from my observations the companies running it have failed on several key areas:

1. Under investment - decor and services have become dated and worn without replacement, visitors immediately become aware that the hotel has seen better days

2. Price: Ties into 1 slightly but they thought it was a 4* hotel and charged accordingly. Sad fact is the lack of investment meant it wasn't close to that and in my experience neither was the service but they charged a lot to stay there when very close are a dozen hotels with better facilities and lower rates

3. Poor marketing: the George hotel has an utterly unique selling point, yet was it ever involved in sports tours, packages for visiting fans? Accommodation for international touring parties? No. They had something utterly unique and failed to sell it.

Somebody could make the George work very well. I very much doubt it's going to be a chain of hotels no one has heard of though

There's your opportunity to make a fortune then. With your business acumen it will be a piece of cake.

Where do I send the cheque?

Are we talking about the RFL using it for offices or running it as an hotel ? :mellow:

Are we talking about the RFL using it for offices or running it as an hotel ? :mellow:

I hope neither.

The problem wouldn't be the beds - as someone flippantly said - it'd be that every office had an en suite bathroom.

Not going to happen - don't fret. B)

The problem wouldn't be the beds - as someone flippantly said - it'd be that every office had an en suite bathroom.

I do hope it isn't me that you are referring :dry: because I'm in exactly the opposite of flippant mood :angry: so ner

How about the Vodaphone/Betfair George Hotel? Insert name of sponsor as required. Thats next years SL sponsor sorted if they will buy the hotel, and the RFL lease it back from the owners.

Then add a building company as a sponsor for free if they will convert it to offices, museum space and an RL themed bar.

Sorted.

However........

Even with that type of sponsorship I don't think the sums will stack up.

I do hope it isn't me that you are referring :dry: because I'm in exactly the opposite of flippant mood :angry: so ner

Dunno - can't be bothered to look .......

Even with that type of sponsorship I don't think the sums will stack up.

You are probably correct and that's a shame.

The building itself is a very handsome, granite, stately even, Victorian edifice which projects gravitas, prosperity and importance and is, in fact, the actual birthplace of the sport with a museum already in situ. It would be a much better place to launch press conferences and initiatives and woo sponsors and TV companies than some red brick pile in a field on the outer suburbs of Leeds.

You are probably correct and that's a shame.

The building itself is a very handsome, granite, stately even, Victorian edifice which projects gravitas, prosperity and importance and is, in fact, the actual birthplace of the sport with a museum already in situ. It would be a much better place to launch press conferences and initiatives and woo sponsors and TV companies than some red brick pile in a field on the outer suburbs of Leeds.

Actually, that's one of the problems with Red Hall. As it's a listed building, the RFL can't alter it much. At Chapeltown Road they had a Council Chamber upstairs where they could fit in thirty-odd folk round a big square of tables. It was a bit of a tight fit but they all got in. Nowadays, they meet at club grounds because none of the rooms are big enough for that.

Anyway - not going to happen. Plumbing's your problem. If only folk would have been happy with sharing a bathroom with the entire floor like they used to in the good old days .......... :dry:

they could always find room for the centre within the new south stand at headingley in a couple of years time . :)

at least then the super league trophy would have a home for all time instead of been left in the ticket office for years on end :D :D :D

Actually, that's one of the problems with Red Hall. As it's a listed building, the RFL can't alter it much. At Chapeltown Road they had a Council Chamber upstairs where they could fit in thirty-odd folk round a big square of tables. It was a bit of a tight fit but they all got in. Nowadays, they meet at club grounds because none of the rooms are big enough for that.

Anyway - not going to happen. Plumbing's your problem. If only folk would have been happy with sharing a bathroom with the entire floor like they used to in the good old days .......... :dry:

In the really good old days in Thorne, I had to go outside in February and cross a yard in my PJs to get to the outside toilet. Wonderful memories.

In the really good old days in Thorne, I had to go outside in February and cross a yard in my PJs to get to the outside toilet. Wonderful memories.

Just in February ? I'd have thought that was the most likely time for it to be frozen up.

Jeez - I can remember earth closets. They were fun. :wacko:

Just in February ? I'd have thought that was the most likely time for it to be frozen up.

Jeez - I can remember earth closets. They were fun. :wacko:

FROZEN UP ! FROZEN UP!. Its a wonder the equipment didnt get brittle and fall off :wacko: . This was before global warming and that fog that rolled in from Goole, omg it was cold. I told you the good old days were better.