Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

344 posts in this topic

'Sir' Kevin Sinfield

Well done to him.

Well deserved!

Cue Aussies (and some others) throwing their toys out of the pram!

Another World Club Challenge, Leeds points record, another Grand Final, England captaincy and now the Golden Boot. That's quite a year. Who needs the honours system?

Bit ludicrous really, but LPL sell papers in the UK, not Australia. Well done Kevin.

That seems very wrong to me - more like an accumulative award for many great years, rather than being the best this year. But hey ho, each to their own.

And well done Kevin :-)

well done kevin, massive congratulations on joining the select band of british winners..........

Who was on the panel that made this decision ?

a mixture of australian & british RL journo's and ex australian & british test players.......like wally lewis & garry schofield..

haha didnt realize it was 1st April. Very good player but is not the best player of 2012 and couldnt even make the SL dream team!

a mixture of australian & british RL journo's and ex australian & british test players.......like wally lewis & garry schofield..

Do you know what the Judges names are this year?

I can not see them mentioned anywhere at all on the net, is it a Secret or something?

i've asked RLW on twitter but never got a answer.......i've figured its pretty much anyone that writes for the magazine...plus selected former ex players.

Congratulations Kevin.

Brillant!

There wasn't a player anywhere matched your outstanding performance this year.

:-)

So - of all the major awards he was eligible for this year:

Leeds Player of the year - nope (Ryan Hall)

SL Dream Team 6 or 13 - nope (Finch and O'Loughlin)

Man of Steel - Nope (not even shortlisted)

World XIII 6 or 13 - Nope (Thurston and Gallen)

Golden Boot - best player in the world - YEP!!!

Madness.

I do need to caveat that this is nothing to do with disliking Leeds (I feel quite the opposite), thinking all the NRL players are better, or being bitter about him playing a blinder in the Grand Final - simply that I don't think he has been anywhere near the best player in the World this year, and neither do the panels of the other major awards that I quoted.

FWIW - I don't always agree with who gets the award - isn't that the interesting thing about these - but I would absolutely like to congratulate him on the award.

Do you know what the Judges names are this year?

I can not see them mentioned anywhere at all on the net, is it a Secret or something?

You have to buy RLW to find out - as you will if you want to find out the breakdown of the voting I assume. Hmmm....

So - of all the major awards he was eligible for this year:

Leeds Player of the year - nope (Ryan Hall)

SL Dream Team 6 or 13 - nope (Finch and O'Loughlin)

Man of Steel - Nope (not even shortlisted)

World XIII 6 or 13 - Nope (Thurston and Gallen)

Golden Boot - best player in the world - YEP!!!

Madness.

I do need to caveat that this is nothing to do with disliking Leeds (I feel quite the opposite), thinking all the NRL players are better, or being bitter about him playing a blinder in the Grand Final - simply that I don't think he has been anywhere near the best player in the World this year, and neither do the panels of the other major awards that I quoted.

FWIW - I don't always agree with who gets the award - isn't that the interesting thing about these - but I would absolutely like to congratulate him on the award.

I might not bother posting so much anymore - Dave just says everything right, all of the time.

Garry Schofield said if Sinfield didn't win he'd do a naked run around LPL towers.

League Freak's not happy. :D

Kevin Sinfield may not be the greatest player in Rugby League, but he is definitely one of the best leaders.

This reminds me a little of when Ryan Giggs won PFA Player of the Year in 2009. Feels more like a reward for a lengthy and very fine career in a year when there hasn't been a single compelling candidate for the award.

Still, if it riles the Aussies, it has to be good.

Many congratulations to Mr Sinfield.

Having now read most of the rest of this thread so far I am left with one, mind-boggling impression ............

........... what an embarrasing preponderence of parochial thought we have in the world of UK rugby league.

Small wonder teams from down-along have notched up so many wins against UK national sides, in recent memory.

For a moment, this summer, I thought this whole darned country had finally rediscovered national pride but it seems I was wrong.

How foolish of me to imagine such a thing because here we go again.

Monofocals firmly in place.

When, if ever, will the game of rugby league be blest again with a supporter base capable of laying aside the urge to put down, in favour of genuine, heartfelt congratulation?

Or at least, in it's place, a decent and appropriate silence?

You know what the real difference is, between Autralian rugby league teams and ours?

What has made it, in recent years, more likely than not that an Antipodean team will beat Great Britain or England?

It's a general state of knowing that they are great.

They know they are great because they know from birth that Australia (or New Zealand) is great.

Every Antipodean sports person, and every Antipodean person that an Antipodean sportsperson knows, knows they are great.

Everyone has been telling every one of them so, since the day that they were born.

Why, knowing that, would anyone doubt that, for them, the ability to win things is a natural part of life?

At one time, British teams used to walk onto the world's sporting arenas with that same certainty in their hearts.

For them too, winning was a normal and mostly probable way of life.

And this summer we saw that inner confidence glowing from the face of every British entrant in every event that took place.

So sad to see that many rugby league supporters, at least, have already abandoned belief in the power of instinctive, and honourable, national pride and returned to the previous, prevalent (though relatively recent), narrower vision.

A timid vision, somehow ..... a mere protection of each localised `me, my, mine'.

Will we ever hear "Well done!" again?

Just a plain, old fashioned, thoroughly delighted, "Well done Fred!"

Will we ever again hear, "Congratulations Joe, Jim, Mike or Kevin ....." without a string of seemingly inevitable Rugby League supporters', "Not as good as Jack Sprat, mind, nor even Jimmimy Cricket. But i grant you, so long as you don't mind Nigel Newt having been overlooked because the Ref was bent, you haven't done all that bad a job, I agree ......... so well done."

Here endeth yet another lecture, I know, but really!

:-)

Snip

Fair point there about the negativity of the RL fandom. However awards of this nature are designed to provoke a bit of debate and some people are always going to disagree with the winner. You can't be too surprised when you pick essentially an outside favourite (considering the rest of the year's RL awards) and people don't neccesarily agree.

Personally I do disagree with the winner of this year's award - I will offer congratulations as Kevin is a great player - but I do also feel unease at the sheer intensity at some of the negativity coming from some quarters elsewhere online. At the end of the day, it's an opinion.