Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

344 posts in this topic

So skill makes you the best player in the world???

This is the award for the best footballer award so yes ability should come into it, out of curiosity, what does Kevin Sinfield have that Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and a Tomkins don't have, I don't buy the leadership thing considering what Smith accomplished as a captain this year, this seams like a Popularity contest award to me, everyone likes Kevin so lets give him the award.

what does Kevin Sinfield have that Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and a Tomkins don't have

6 Superleague Grand Final rings, 4 World Club Challenge Winners medals and 1 more Golden Boot than Cronk or Tomkins. ;-)

6 Superleague Grand Final rings, 4 World Club Challenge Winners medals and 1 more Golden Boot than Cronk or Tomkins. ;-)

Last Time I checked this wasn't a life time achievement award, this was an award for the best player of 2012, I still don't get why some people hold the World Club Challenge in such a high regard either, the team I support won it in 2011 and I couldn't have cared less.

I still don't get why some people hold the World Club Challenge in such a high regard either, the team I support won it in 2011 and I couldn't have cared less.

What!!!!!!

Some people have no sense of humour!

I didn't realise your post was supposed to be funny?

I didn't realise your post was supposed to be funny?

As I said, no sense of humour.

;-)

As I said, no sense of humour.

;-)

For Goodness sake, were not going to go off on a 5 page long argument about why your comment wasn't funny are we....

This is the award for the best footballer award so yes ability should come into it, out of curiosity, what does Kevin Sinfield have that Cameron Smith, Cooper Cronk and a Tomkins don't have, I don't buy the leadership thing considering what Smith accomplished as a captain this year, this seams like a Popularity contest award to me, everyone likes Kevin so lets give him the award.

There have been many journos this weekend who have said its not for the best player,its for the one who's efforts in a full domestic and international season who has merited it.

A golden Boot 2012!!!!

SInfield has played in many positions this year for Leeds (remember I support Warrington) this isn't an easy transition for some players, But Sinfield has done this game after game. 6,9 and 13. I think this is forgotten when people offer opinions!!!

This is a skill set some players will never have!!!

Smith is a wonderful player, plays in teams with WORLD SUPERSTARS this does make his job easier, but Smith still leads from the front..... Maybe this is another reason Sinfield won..... less Superstars around him!!!!!

Sinfield isn't hot head,He's a thinker, great hands, one of the best kicking games in the World and leads players around the park.

Yes England are craap, we may always be craap, but one thing Sinfield is a player of the highest calibre.

There have been many journos this weekend who have said its not for the best player,its for the one who's efforts in a full domestic and international season who has merited it.

This is what it states on the organisers website:

The Rugby League World Golden Boot is awarded to the international player of the year and is decided by a panel made up of Rugby League journalists, broadcasters and former international players.

This is what it states on the organisers website:

The Rugby League World Golden Boot is awarded to the international player of the year and is decided by a panel made up of Rugby League journalists, broadcasters and former international players.

Talking of which, aside from the sour grapes, refusal to accept the panels decision and generally introspective and ill informed spouting on here can I for one congratulate and recognise League Publications Limited for promoting and sustaining this fantastic award and its accompanying ceremony

I have attended two events (I suspect two more than some of the pundits who have been denegrating the award from behind a desk in Sydney), Farrell and Minichellos years, and the turnout was indeed a glittering array of the worlds legends, past and present

To suggest the adjudication wasnt of a similar order is, Im afraid, small minded

Well done LPL (something I dont say every week) and may the Golden Boot continue to be awarded to the best contribution by any player throughout the game that year

Which wouldn't go to Sinfield as he was only oustanding towards 4 or 5 games of the latter part of the season not the full domestic season like you state.

If it was for effort in the full season then he shouldn't even come close. Tomkins had a much better and consistent season than Sir Kev.

Which wouldn't go to Sinfield as he was only oustanding towards 4 or 5 games of the latter part of the season not the full domestic season like you state.

If it was for effort in the full season then he shouldn't even come close. Tomkins had a much better and consistent season than Sir Kev.

Really. Did you see the Cup semi final. Not player of the season stuff.

Talking of which, aside from the sour grapes, refusal to accept the panels decision and generally introspective and ill informed spouting on here can I for one congratulate and recognise League Publications Limited for promoting and sustaining this fantastic award and its accompanying ceremony

I have attended two events (I suspect two more than some of the pundits who have been denegrating the award from behind a desk in Sydney), Farrell and Minichellos years, and the turnout was indeed a glittering array of the worlds legends, past and present

To suggest the adjudication wasnt of a similar order is, Im afraid, small minded

Well done LPL (something I dont say every week) and may the Golden Boot continue to be awarded to the best contribution by any player throughout the game that year

Hasn;t this award always been marketed as the World Player of the Year? If so - why are people now using phrases like your last one?

TBH, if LPL feel that Sinfield is the best player in the world this year, just say so and allow people to discuss it. An issue I have with this is that people are playing politics with the wording of what this award is for - 'best contribution'??? Why is it no longer 'International Player of the Year' - which incidentally LPL still advertise it as?

Really. Did you see the Cup semi final. Not player of the season stuff.

One error out of 30 games essentially. There isn't a way you can argue Kev was more consistent than Tomkins, because the fact is he wasn't.

One error out of 30 games essentially. There isn't a way you can argue Kev was more consistent than Tomkins, because the fact is he wasn't.

I didn't see the game but someone commented on how bad he was against Featherstone in the cup so that would be 2 games.

The Aussies are going to crucify him if he dosn't improve.

I didn't see the game but someone commented on how bad he was against Featherstone in the cup so that would be 2 games.

The Aussies are going to crucify him if he dosn't improve.

Like they crucified him last time when he was a big part in the majority of Englands tries against the Aussies?

Just a few stats for you from the SL season;

Tries: Tomkins 28 - 4 Sinfield

Try assists: Tomkins 33 - 18 Sinfield

Metres made: Tomkins 3438 - 2015 Sinfield

Clean Breaks: Tomkins 39 - 6 Sinfield

Tackle busts: Tomkins 156 - 31 Sinfield

Errors: Tomkins 28 - 27 Sinfield

It just shows Tomkins has absolutely destroyed him on nearly every stat. Sinfield only got one more fourty twenty than Tomkins in the season. The 'error prone' Tomkins has only made one error more than Sinfield.

Rightfully Tomkins was awarded Man of Steel and was selected in the dream team for oustanding performances consistently through the season. You can argue why didn't Wigan get to the GF then, well look who was sat on the sidelines during the semi versus Leeds.

Hasn;t this award always been marketed as the World Player of the Year? If so - why are people now using phrases like your last one?

TBH, if LPL feel that Sinfield is the best player in the world this year, just say so and allow people to discuss it. An issue I have with this is that people are playing politics with the wording of what this award is for - 'best contribution'??? Why is it no longer 'International Player of the Year' - which incidentally LPL still advertise it as?

Call it that then, call it what you want. We all know what its for apart for the people throughout this thread who have queried whether it was a cumulative thing, or a talent thing etc, which it is neither

My broader point is LPL have invested heavily in promoting the International Player of The Year award and ceremony, which teh sport as a whole should be proud of and grateful for, only to find people who have little clue about what it entails running it down on the basis of not agreeing with the decision.

If you dont agree with the decision fair enough but dont run the award itself down

Call it that then, call it what you want. We all know what its for apart for the people throughout this thread who have queried whether it was a cumulative thing, or a talent thing etc, which it is neither

My broader point is LPL have invested heavily in promoting the International Player of The Year award and ceremony, which teh sport as a whole should be proud of and grateful for, only to find people who have little clue about what it entails running it down on the basis of not agreeing with the decision.

If you dont agree with the decision fair enough but dont run the award itself down

Im not running the award down btw I agree with the bulk of the post. I think most do care about the award hence the debate.

You state that most understand what it is, yet that is absolutely not true. Ask anyone and they would say it is for the best player in the world that year, its also how it reads on LPL website, yet it would appear people are trying ti change what the award is.

People genuinely are interested in it, and wanting to understand what it is for and who is on the panel (things appear to have changed this year) is not unreasonable at all.

Its getting rather venomous now,maybe Kevin Sinfield should consider giving back the award

Like they crucified him last time when he was a big part in the majority of Englands tries against the Aussies?

Just a few stats for you from the SL season;

Tries: Tomkins 28 - 4 Sinfield

Try assists: Tomkins 33 - 18 Sinfield

Metres made: Tomkins 3438 - 2015 Sinfield

Clean Breaks: Tomkins 39 - 6 Sinfield

Tackle busts: Tomkins 156 - 31 Sinfield

Errors: Tomkins 28 - 27 Sinfield

It just shows Tomkins has absolutely destroyed him on nearly every stat. Sinfield only got one more fourty twenty than Tomkins in the season. The 'error prone' Tomkins has only made one error more than Sinfield.

Rightfully Tomkins was awarded Man of Steel and was selected in the dream team for oustanding performances consistently through the season. You can argue why didn't Wigan get to the GF then, well look who was sat on the sidelines during the semi versus Leeds.

I watched the last four nations and it was the first time I had ever seen Tomkins play and it was the first thing I noticed about his game that he was weak under a high ball, either not getting there or letting it bounce or going up and completely misjudging it in the air. He is am amazing attacking player and a top talent but he has this weakness in his game. He gets away with it for the most part when playing for Wigan as they are usually dominant and he is not pressured too much but at international level, he is targetted and exposed. I get no pleasure from pointing this out as I want Tomkins and England to excel in the WC but it is what it is.

I've a lot of time for Tomkins, however the one occasion last season when I saw him play for his club, at Fev, he was ######. Especially under the high ball, and his behaviour at Wembley in 2011 was outrageous.

Every player has a bad game from time to time. Sinfield had the best part of a dozen bad ones last year, but people remember the two or three great ones where he hit top form. As a rugby talent - Tomkins is streets ahead in ability and impact, as a mature adult and leader of men Sinfield is streets ahead. Apples and oranges. I personally think the best player is the most valuable player to a team. Leeds without Sinfield in my view are still a 4th/5th place league team and an outside chance in the playoffs and a good chance in the Challenge Cup. Wigan without Tomkins drop from 1st / 2nd and in the hunt for all trophies to 4th/5th on the league ladder and having no chance of winning the GF (see GF eliminator in his absence in 2012) or Challenge Cup.

As much as I respect Sinfield, at no point in his career would I have straight swapped for Tomkins. The great Leeds team is built on a 'team' ethic and a never say die attitude that is not exclusive to Sinfield, despite him being their leader. I do feel over the course of his career that Sinfield has been slightly underrated and overshadowed by the contributions of teammates such as McGuire, Burrow, Peacock, Buderus, Senior, Hall, etc. However the hyperbole in 2012 has tipped the balance towards overrating him at the expense of the quality of his teammates.

I watched the last four nations and it was the first time I had ever seen Tomkins play and it was the first thing I noticed about his game that he was weak under a high ball, either not getting there or letting it bounce or going up and completely misjudging it in the air. He is am amazing attacking player and a top talent but he has this weakness in his game. He gets away with it for the most part when playing for Wigan as they are usually dominant and he is not pressured too much but at international level, he is targetted and exposed. I get no pleasure from pointing this out as I want Tomkins and England to excel in the WC but it is what it is.

In the same way that Tomkins isn't elite under the high ball (although far from the worst FB in SL), Sinfield has defensive weaknesses - he has been known to make poor reads from marker defence, whilst his lateral movement, speed and decision making in the defensive line have been exposed in SL on numerous occasions.

question on the award itself .

is it for the best player in the world or the player of most importance to a team because the best player is not always the most important player to a team

If it there was an award for Leeds to win Team of the Year, then you wouldn't get an argument from me. Irrespective of my thoughts on the playoff system and the league comp, you can't argue with the cumulative effects of WCC and GF wins together with a CC runner up. But Sinfield as good a leader as he is, would be lucky to make an objective top 20 of best individual player during SL 2012.