Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

344 posts in this topic

Having now read most of the rest of this thread so far I am left with one, mind-boggling impression ............

........... what an embarrasing preponderence of parochial thought we have in the world of UK rugby league.

Small wonder teams from down-along have notched up so many wins against UK national sides, in recent memory.

For a moment, this summer, I thought this whole darned country had finally rediscovered national pride but it seems I was wrong.

How foolish of me to imagine such a thing because here we go again.

Monofocals firmly in place.

When, if ever, will the game of rugby league be blest again with a supporter base capable of laying aside the urge to put down, in favour of genuine, heartfelt congratulation?

Or at least, in it's place, a decent and appropriate silence?

You know what the real difference is, between Autralian rugby league teams and ours?

What has made it, in recent years, more likely than not that an Antipodean team will beat Great Britain or England?

It's a general state of knowing that they are great.

They know they are great because they know from birth that Australia (or New Zealand) is great.

Every Antipodean sports person, and every Antipodean person that an Antipodean sportsperson knows, knows they are great.

Everyone has been telling every one of them so, since the day that they were born.

Why, knowing that, would anyone doubt that, for them, the ability to win things is a natural part of life?

At one time, British teams used to walk onto the world's sporting arenas with that same certainty in their hearts.

For them too, winning was a normal and mostly probable way of life.

And this summer we saw that inner confidence glowing from the face of every British entrant in every event that took place.

So sad to see that many rugby league supporters, at least, have already abandoned belief in the power of instinctive, and honourable, national pride and returned to the previous, prevalent (though relatively recent), narrower vision.

A timid vision, somehow ..... a mere protection of each localised `me, my, mine'.

Will we ever hear "Well done!" again?

Just a plain, old fashioned, thoroughly delighted, "Well done Fred!"

Whill we ever again hear, "Congratulations Joe, Jim, Mike or Kevin ....." without a string of seemingly inevitable Rugby League supporters', "Not as good as Jack Sprat, mind, nor even Jimmimy Cricket. But i grant you, so long as you don't mind Nigel Newt having been overlooked because the Ref was bent, you haven't done all that bad a job, I agree ......... so well done."

Here endeth yet another lecture, I know, but really!

:-)

Not really. Personally there's a handful of British players I'd have given it to over him.

Actually, I think there is a logic to it. Winning the GF again, with a wonderful performance, winning the WCC, being central to the excellent series of wins in the Autumn, makes a fine body of work. As the award looks at which player has been the most influential, it is feasible for a player who is not the best in any position to win through consistency, inspiration and leadership.

If the Aussies were that bothered about having a more objetive test, they could have clamoured for a tour Down Under or a Tri or 4 Nations. If they want to sit on a beach when Sir Kevin is leading the way for England, they aren't in a strong position to moan.

Having now read most of the rest of this thread so far I am left with one, mind-boggling impression ............

........... what an embarrasing preponderence of parochial thought we have in the world of UK rugby league.

Small wonder teams from down-along have notched up so many wins against UK national sides, in recent memory.

For a moment, this summer, I thought this whole darned country had finally rediscovered national pride but it seems I was wrong.

How foolish of me to imagine such a thing because here we go again.

Monofocals firmly in place.

When, if ever, will the game of rugby league be blest again with a supporter base capable of laying aside the urge to put down, in favour of genuine, heartfelt congratulation?

Or at least, in it's place, a decent and appropriate silence?

You know what the real difference is, between Autralian rugby league teams and ours?

What has made it, in recent years, more likely than not that an Antipodean team will beat Great Britain or England?

It's a general state of knowing that they are great.

They know they are great because they know from birth that Australia (or New Zealand) is great.

Every Antipodean sports person, and every Antipodean person that an Antipodean sportsperson knows, knows they are great.

Everyone has been telling every one of them so, since the day that they were born.

Why, knowing that, would anyone doubt that, for them, the ability to win things is a natural part of life?

At one time, British teams used to walk onto the world's sporting arenas with that same certainty in their hearts.

For them too, winning was a normal and mostly probable way of life.

And this summer we saw that inner confidence glowing from the face of every British entrant in every event that took place.

So sad to see that many rugby league supporters, at least, have already abandoned belief in the power of instinctive, and honourable, national pride and returned to the previous, prevalent (though relatively recent), narrower vision.

A timid vision, somehow ..... a mere protection of each localised `me, my, mine'.

Will we ever hear "Well done!" again?

Just a plain, old fashioned, thoroughly delighted, "Well done Fred!"

Whill we ever again hear, "Congratulations Joe, Jim, Mike or Kevin ....." without a string of seemingly inevitable Rugby League supporters', "Not as good as Jack Sprat, mind, nor even Jimmimy Cricket. But i grant you, so long as you don't mind Nigel Newt having been overlooked because the Ref was bent, you haven't done all that bad a job, I agree ......... so well done."

Here endeth yet another lecture, I know, but really!

Sorry that we dont agree with your opinion. This is a forum where different opinions are viewed right?

Maybe not the most gifted of players but always,always gives 100%,inspirational leader and fantastic role model.Congratulations Kevin Sinfield.

Actually, I think there is a logic to it. Winning the GF again, with a wonderful performance, winning the WCC, being central to the excellent series of wins in the Autumn, makes a fine body of work. As the award looks at which player has been the most influential, it is feasible for a player who is not the best in any position to win through consistency, inspiration and leadership.

If the Aussies were that bothered about having a more objetive test, they could have clamoured for a tour Down Under or a Tri or 4 Nations. If they want to sit on a beach when Sir Kevin is leading the way for England, they aren't in a strong position to moan.

The Aussies played the Kiwis twice last year, compared to England playing Wales and France which do you believe is the tougher test?

Who was on the panel that made this decision ?

League Express - Schofield

RLW - Margaret Radcliffe

BBC - Clare Balding

sky - Barrie McDermott

ex-players - Keith Senior and Ian Sinfield

Southern hemisphere judges - asleep.

+1

Also, id add that he received 3 back to back man of the match awards in the play offs, including the final, and could argue he was THE reason that Leeds won the Grand Final this year

Sorry that we I dont agree with your opinion. This is a forum where different opinions are viewed right?

:D But what were the names of the sleeping Aussie Judges?

Sheila, Bruce and Skippy.

Sheila, Bruce and Skippy.

Ah fair enough, I thought it was Rolf, Kylie and Dame Edna.

Toadfish, Donk and Kylie were unavailable.

Kevin Sinfield is an outstanding player and outstanding captain. A fine ambassador as well for Rugby League.

The Aussies played the Kiwis twice last year, compared to England playing Wales and France which do you believe is the tougher test?

They wouldn't tour England though, nor host a touring England side.

Maybe not the most gifted of players but always,always gives 100%,inspirational leader and fantastic role model.Congratulations Kevin Sinfield.

+1

Also, id add that he received 3 back to back man of the match awards in the play offs, including the final, and could argue he was THE reason that Leeds won the Grand Final this year

Great post EW

Spot on TWIG

Southstander wasn't aware of three back to back man of the matches - not bad for a player who doesn't deserve it in many people's opinions

Sinfield is a wonderful captain and a rugby league brain - simply outstanding !!

Not that this award really matters considering it's not decided by an International panel but a English one which I've never understood, but i'm not sure what Cameron Smith has to do to win it, he captained the Melbourne Storm to win the Premiership, captained Queensland to win the State of Origin series and Australia to win two games against New Zealand in one year, that's everything there is to win, im not exactly sure what the Criteria is, is Sinfield a good player, yes he is but no one can convince me that he is at level of Cameron Smith even of a Cooper Cronk (The best half back in the world), games between England and Australia have proven it, would have picked him over Myles and Tomkins though, but im sure most rugby league fans with common sense know who the real best in the world was this year, so why does he deserve it more than them, it's not like Sinfield accomplished more than Smith and Cronk did.

Sorry that we dont agree with your opinion. This is a forum where different opinions are viewed right?

I have never indicated that every possible shade of opinion should not be voiced here.

I only lament an obvious lack of unbiased objectivity, and its inevitable companion - ungenerosity of spirit.

As to multiple opinions though - prefer who you will. I will never contest you on that.

Not that this award really matters considering it's not decided by an International panel but a English one which I've never understood, but i'm not sure what Cameron Smith has to do to win it, he captained the Melbourne Storm to win the Premiership, captained Queensland to win the State of Origin series and Australia to win two games against New Zealand in one year, that's everything there is to win, im not exactly sure what the Criteria is, is Sinfield a good player, yes he is but no one can convince me that he is at level of Cameron Smith even of a Cooper Cronk (The best half back in the world), games between England and Australia have proven it, would have picked him over Myles and Tomkins though, but im sure most rugby league fans with common sense know who the real best in the world was this year, so why does he deserve it more than them, it's not like Sinfield accomplished more than Smith and Cronk did.

If he has accomplished the same as Smith and Cronk,then surely he is worthy of the award,or should he not win it because he is English?

So - of all the major awards he was eligible for this year:

Leeds Player of the year - nope (Ryan Hall)

SL Dream Team 6 or 13 - nope (Finch and O'Loughlin)

Man of Steel - Nope (not even shortlisted)

World XIII 6 or 13 - Nope (Thurston and Gallen)

Golden Boot - best player in the world - YEP!!!

Madness.

I do need to caveat that this is nothing to do with disliking Leeds (I feel quite the opposite), thinking all the NRL players are better, or being bitter about him playing a blinder in the Grand Final - simply that I don't think he has been anywhere near the best player in the World this year, and neither do the panels of the other major awards that I quoted.

FWIW - I don't always agree with who gets the award - isn't that the interesting thing about these - but I would absolutely like to congratulate him on the award.

Best post in this thread.

If he has accomplished the same as Smith and Cronk,then surely he is worthy of the award,or should he not win it because he is English?

I still don't really get it, he didn't even win Leeds player of the year (Ryan Hall did) but is apparently the best in the world? Cam Captained his country to two wins over the 2nd best international team in the world NZ and of course Queensland to victory, for the last couple of years I thought Tomkins was very close to winning this award, so no it's not because he is English he is just not at Cam Smith and Cronks level having watched both Super League & the NRL this year.

I still don't really get it, he didn't even win Leeds player of the year (Ryan Hall did) but is apparently the best in the world? Cam Captained his country to two wins over the 2nd best international team in the world NZ and of course Queensland to victory, for the last couple of years I thought Tomkins was very close to winning this award, so no it's not because he is English he is just not at Cam Smith and Cronks level having watched both Super League & the NRL this year.

Other people better than me have explained why they think Sinfield is a worthy winner,try reading those and you just might get it.

Cameron Smiths achievements;

Captained Queensland to series win over NSW and taking the captaincy from the greatest player to play in the 21st century.

Captained Aus to a victory of NZ.

Captained Melbourne too victory in the NRL grand final and guided them too top of the league.

Got in the NRL dream team.

Made it into the world XIII

How sinfield is ahead of him is actually beyond me.

(No I'm not a person who says English cant hack it in the NRL)

Dave T's post is spot on.

Well one thing, Sinfield won't give a flying ###### what people think.

He's won it!!

Different awards have different ways of being won, timing is often forgotten.

Man of steel people talk about, if it was done after the GF surely Sinfield would've won it ( many times now)

Likewise with the super league team of the year!

Edited for bad spelling

Well that's my opinion!!

Congratulations to Kevin for the award, agree with Exiled Wiganer's and PMJ's sentiments. The fact is that in the only Anglo-Australian encounter that took place last year, Sinfield was the winning captain. If the Southern hemisphere wants the award that badly, then prove it by sending a touring international side and winning the Test series; that way there can be no doubt about who the best player is. Sinfield has been the leader for several seasons of the most influential European team of the last decade. He produced several stand out performances in the games that really mattered and could not have done any better in leading his country; as you can only beat the opposition that is in front of you, which England did in a convincing manner.