See England take on the best at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bedford Roughyed

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

344 posts in this topic

Over the year Kevin was not that great, just like Leeds wasnt. He was fairly quiet in the cup final which Leeds lost. He had a quiet start to the season and It really wasnt until August that Sinfield and Leeds started playing so well. But When you compare him to Cam Smith or Cooper Cronk he did not have a good year as these two who also inspired the team, State and Country to victory. Melbourne were way more consistant throughout the whole season and never outside the top 2, mainly due to Cronk and Smith. When they was busy with Origin, The Storm struggled big time. Sinfield like Leeds had a very good year but still not as good as Cronk or Smith who were consistant from the start to finish. And with respect even as Captain, Smith beats him in that area. And how many people as captain have won the NRL, State of Origin and won all tests? I just cant see how people can say Sinfield has had a better Season than Cronk or Smith either at Club or Representative level.

Didn t Sinfield do what he did with a broken arm th whole season? That s amazing.

Northern Ireland were bad at soccer but still George Best was the best player in the world. He didn t have to be Brazilian to be the best so It is quite possible that an individual English RL player can be the best although the England national team are not.

He didn't even win Leeds Rhino player of the year or make the super league team of the year but is apparently the best in the world, he bombed in the Challenge Cup Final, has gone missing everytime England have played Australia unlike guys like Ryan Hall who actually did damage against them, Cameron Smith however captained his sides to everything there is to win, Origin, Wins over NZ, his club to a premiership, and above all that, he has alot more quality than Mr Sinfield, I read the reasoning the Panel came up with from the Rugby league World Magazine which is kind of ironic considering it's a British Magazine, they basically said he deserved it because he played awesome in the Grand Final despite getting knocked out, so basically getting beat up in the grand final is what swayed it for him and being a better goal kicker, last time I checked this isn't the best Goal Kicker in the world award, but is apparently the difference between him and Smith, I don't remember Pacquiao receiving any awards after he was knocked out by Marquez, just saying, 1 good game should not cancel out the rest of the years ones, I did watch Super League this season on Euro Sport here in Australia as well as the NRL and Smith was by far the more consistent over the entire season not to mention what he accomplished on a rep level as well as club.

Martyn Sadler, chairman of League Publications Ltd, said: "Kevin can't move as quickly as Ben Barba, or with the elusiveness of Sam Tomkins, while Cameron Smith's ability close to the ruck is surely second to none.

"But Sinfield is a supreme captain, and only Cameron Smith can rival his leadership, while Sinfield's goal-kicking success rate in 2012 was 82.84%, compared to 69.64% for Smith.

"In the Super League Grand Final Sinfield kicked five out of five, from all over the pitch, and that after he had been knocked out earlier by a challenge to the head. What he did in that game goes beyond what could reasonably be expected, even of a Golden Boot winner."

If this was the toughest and bravest in the world award, maybe he might get it but that would probably go to Paul Wood considering he lost part of his manhood and still finished a game, but this is supposed to be the award for the best footballer in the world and that is not Kevin Sinfield.

Smith captained the Storm to GF glory - a game the Storm were favourites to win.

Sinfield captained the Rhinos to GF glory - a game that Warrington were favourites to win.

Smith captained Queensland to Origin glory - a series where Queensland were favourites to win.

Sinfield captained the Rhinos to WCC glory - a game where Manly were favourites to win.

Both captained their country to victories in matches they were favourites to win.

Sinfield wins!

Smith captained the Storm to GF glory - a game the Storm were favourites to win.

Sinfield captained the Rhinos to GF glory - a game that Warrington were favourites to win.

Smith captained Queensland to Origin glory - a series where Queensland were favourites to win.

Sinfield captained the Rhinos to WCC glory - a game where Manly were favourites to win.

Both captained their country to victories in matches they were favourites to win.

Sinfield wins!

Actually Bulldogs were favorites considering they were the Minor Premiers,

Cameron Smith had alot of pressure on him from the media and all of Queensland frankly due to taking the captaincy from the great Darren Lockyer which i'll also add to his resume and passed with flying colors.

WCC means nothing as the NRL clubs play that game during their preseasons when the players aren't in match fitness and haven't had a chance to gel as a team yet, the game isn't taking that seriously in Australia as it gets zero media coverage don't forget the ridiculous 24 hour trip to even play the game, play the game during both the NRL & Superleague season on Neutral territory and we'll talk.

You conveniently left out Smith Captaining Australia to not one but two wins over New Zealand.

Smith lead his team to 2nd on the table out of 16 teams, Sinfield took Leeds to 5th out of 14 teams and was generally inconsistent throughout the whole season which Smith wasn't.

Sinfield failed in the Cup Final, Smith however didn't fail on any big occasion this season including The Grand Final, Origin and the test matches against New Zealand.

By the way this isn't who's the best captain award, it's the best player in the world and considering Sinfield didn't even win Leeds player of the year award he is not the best in the world a fact that most Englishmen on this forum have even admitted.

Smith is the best Hooker in the world, Sinfield isn't even the best Half in the world.

For me Smith wins!

But he didn't, Sir Kev did!

He won an award a British Magazine Panel gave out, yep congratulations.

So if that same panel had awarded it to an aussie would it hold more weight?

If Sir Kev played in the NRL would it be ok with you if he won it then?

I still don't think you can compare Sinfield's achievements with Cam Smith - captained Storm to the Premiership, led Queensland to another SOO win, led Australia in their wins ( although I'm not sure how many games they played!) - but I haven't seen SL this year so hard to judge

Cam Smith captained storm to the NRL Premiership; Sinfield captained Leeds to the SL Premiership. Both Storm and Leeds have won a number of them over the last decade. How long has Smith been captain of Storm? Sinfield has been captain of Leeds for their last five wins. So at this point Smith and Sinfield are level pegging. SL doesn't have state of origin just as the NRL doesnt have the challenge cup (in which final Leeds featured) but Leeds did win the World Club Challenge, if that counts. Australia played one international against New Zealand but they chose not to be involved in internationals with England this year so nobody but Australia can be blamed if their unwillingness to play internationals means that Sinfield gets a chance to captain his country to three wins in an international series while Smith only gets the chance to captain his side once.

You conveniently left out Smith Captaining Australia to not one but two wins over New Zealand.

Even England can beat New Zealand so I'm not sure that's such a triumph.

Even England can beat New Zealand so I'm not sure that's such a triumph.

Are New Zealand not the current World Champs?

Same magazine who've voted for an Aussie every year since 2004. No quibbles then, why now?

So if that same panel had awarded it to an aussie would it hold more weight?

If Sir Kev played in the NRL would it be ok with you if he won it then?

If it was decided by an impartial neutral international board it would have more weight yes, not sure what right this magazine has to say who the best player in the world, the reasons from the Panel for giving this award especially from Martyn bordered on laughable, I'll bring this point up again, do you really believe Kevin Sinfield is the best player in the world because I would love to hear valid reasons as to why he is. I have Sam Burgess, Ryan Hall, Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley maybe even James Roby in higher regard than him in terms of Talented Footballers and consistency playing well week in week out.

Same magazine who've voted for an Aussie every year since 2004. No quibbles then, why now?

Hey if they gave it to Sam Tomkins last year I would have had no complaints because he is a tremendous player and did have some great performances against New Zealand aswell as a tremendous Domestic year where he actually played well throughout most of the yell not just in parts, I just don't hold Kevin Sinfield in that same regard, can he be great when he shows up on the day, yes he had a great grand final albeit a poor Cup Final, but does he do it week in week out like a Smith, like a Hall, I don't think so, he just doesn't have the quality that they do, if he is such a great player why did he not even make the Super League team of the year?

Darren Lockyer was MOTM in the RLWC Final of 2008, most people would have had a Kiwi such as Lance Hohaia as the fair winner.

No whinging from Aussies then.

I'll bring this point up again, do you really believe Kevin Sinfield is the best player in the world because I would love to hear valid reasons as to why he is.

It depends on what you want from the World's Best Player. If you want amazing individual feats of skill etc then Ben Barba, Sam Tomkins etc would win it every year.

If you want a player who leads and raises the player level of his entire team then Sir Kev or Cameron Smith is your man.

If someone offered Cameron Smith to lead the Leeds Rhinos I'd say "No thanks, we have Sir Kev!"

It depends on what you want from the World's Best Player. If you want amazing individual feats of skill etc then Ben Barba, Sam Tomkins etc would win it every year.

If you want a player who leads and raises the player level of his entire team then Sir Kev or Cameron Smith is your man.

If someone offered Cameron Smith to lead the Leeds Rhinos I'd say "No thanks, we have Sir Kev!"

and thats great, but why ignore the 5th place finish and the Challenge Cup Final?

Large parts of the season are being ignored with this award.

Best captain - maybe.

Most inspirational - aye.

Best player in the world in 2012 - hmm.

well done sir kev .

as i understand it then its for the outstanding acheivmments of 2012 that the golden boot is awarded so that would be

captain of a challenge cup final team

captain of the 2012 champions

captain of the unbeaten england team in 2012

captain of the world club champions 2012

leading goalkicker in world top tier rugby league 2012

leading points scorer in world top tier rugby league 2012

most drop goals in super league 2012

longest unbroken playing run in british rugby league

on top of that he been the most important player for the super league champions in 2012

add to that...

played more games last season than anyone (every game in the SL, CC and WCC, along with Zak Hardacre and Ryan Hall)

played every minute of every game (except 10 mins v Bradford in the bin!)

did it all through the whole season with an injured wrist

That palmares is a match for anyones

I still don't think you can compare Sinfield's achievements with Cam Smith - captained Storm to the Premiership, led Queensland to another SOO win, led Australia in their wins ( although I'm not sure how many games they played!) - but I haven't seen SL this year so hard to judge

I suspect youre not alone in that...

Well instigate an Aussie version then, like your mob do with the rules...

... and include The Ricky Stuart Award For Graceless Losers and we can chooses from an unending list of Aussie candidates

Conversely you could turn the question round and ask why has the fifth most consistent team appeared in every final for the last three years and emerged as champions each season? Form suggests that should not happen but clearly the Rhinos are finding inspiration to lift themselves higher. I think that the award in part recognises Sinfield's role in bridging that gap between Leeds and the top four finishers.

i've asked RLW on twitter but never got a answer.......i've figured its pretty much anyone that writes for the magazine...plus selected former ex players.

Thanks Spud.

Why are the Judges some secret panel that can not be named, someone suggested Wally Lewis was a Judge, I would be surprised if that was the case in 2012.

Why can the judges not be named and their experience and knowledge in choosing the right player be celebrated? surely it would give a lot more credence to an award.

Without having any idea who the mysterious men who decide who the Winner is it just looks like an English Rugby League Magazine deciding on who wins the award and that is linked to how many copies of their product they will sell and having some controversy may not be a bad thing.

Well instigate an Aussie version then, like your mob do with the rules...

... and include The Ricky Stuart Award For Graceless Losers and we can chooses from an unending list of Aussie candidates

Like I've mentioned in a previous post, I rate Sam Tomkins highly and would not have complained had he won it especially last year where he consistently dominated domestically as well as a fantastic Four Nations, but Kevin Sinfield, your having a laugh aren't ya, he isn't a better captain than Smith, he didn't accomplish more on the field than Smith considering Smith won everything there is to win including Origin and victories over New Zealand but Sinfield didn't win the cup with Leeds, he doesn't have the quality of Smith, he didn't make the Super league team of the year, he had a fantastic grand final matched with a poor Cup Final, so is it accurate to judge who the best in the world is on one single game granted it was a good performance, I look at the entire year and Smith was by far more consistent, Leeds finished 5th, it's not like he had the greatest of regular seasons this year but apparently is still the best in the world, if he did he might have even been named the best player at Leeds this year an award given to Ryan Hall, so if his own club doesn't think he is the best at their own team why would he be the best in the world?

Who knows he might actually have a good World Cup, destroy Australia and prove me wrong but considering his performances pretty much every time he as ever faced Australia and considering the fact that he has gone missing in almost every game he has ever played against them, I highly doubt it, don't remember him ever playing well against us to be honest.

I give up!!! It's official, the vast majority of RL fans don't deserve this great game. In the main we are a set of graceless, whingeing, sullen bastards who would rather moan and pour scorn on the game than celebrate it and its players.

Well done to those of you who recognise Sinfields contributions over the years.

Aussies? Well what do you expect from them?

The rest of you? Give up, go watch something else, you obviously don't like RL.

I give up!!! It's official, the vast majority of RL fans don't deserve this great game. In the main we are a set of graceless, whingeing, sullen bastards who would rather moan and pour scorn on the game than celebrate it and its players.

Well done to those of you who recognise Sinfields contributions over the years.

Aussies? Well what do you expect from them?

The rest of you? Give up, go watch something else, you obviously don't like RL.

I get it. So if you agree that Sinfield is the best player in the world then we can stay and watch, whereas if we have the sheer audacity to suggest that there may have been a better player in 2012 then we should watch something else?

Isn't this kind of discussion exactly what these kind of awards are for? Don;t be so precious ffs!