Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOYALION

Lions Help to Save the Pinks!

29 posts in this topic

...a dead duck? That "Duck" died nearly 50 years ago when Manchester Racecourse (Castle Irwell, Salford) closed for good in November 1963. It's now largely covered by a student villiage for Salford University. It was the site of a huge loop, or meander in the River Irwell.

As a racing fan whenever the November Handicap comes around (now run at Donny) I tend to pander for Castle Irwell to be relaunched.

There's still a few remnants / tell tale signs to be spotted - the Racecourse pub on Littleton Road (where I did a stint behind the bar in my student days and has a few interesting pictures inside), Punters Restaurant, plus the former main stand is still doing a job as a student bar (must have been built to last!). In the boundary wall the site of the old turnstiles is still very clear.

It wouldn't take too massive a leap of faith to re-open the place actually, probably within the sort of budget Marwan Koukash could afford to splash out. Now that would be a grand rumour.....

Any sport and I use that term loosely,that involves beating an animal in an effort to satisfy gamblers is in my opinion best consigned to the past. The more race tracks that close the better.

How did this go down with my mate Spelly? I can imagine he was overjoyed to hear his hard-earned was going to the 'pinks'.

Pugwash.

Quelle suprisé.....

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/rugby_league/s/1598161_marman-koukash-is-eyeing-stadium-buy-out

"Salford City Reds’potential new owner Marman Koukash is understood to also be considering buying the club’s Salford City Stadium home.

Dr Koukash and his representatives have held separate talks with land owners Peel Holdings and Salford City Council to discuss the move.

Sources close to the multi-millionaire race horse owner say Dr Koukash (pictured) believes it would be in both his and Salford’s best long-term interest to also own the £26m stadium to generate additional revenue."

A more accurate portrayal is probably..... Dr Marwan Koukash agreeing to take over Salford City Reds is dependent on the deal including at least a share of the surrounding site and council guarantees on planning permission for retail use.....

Sainsbury's Barton here we come.