Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flyingking

First effects of the new development system

164 posts in this topic

Rugby Union was not major until recently. After the great split there numbers were decimated and they never recovered until after the 1920s. The club game was very minor with the famous one man and his dog attendances and such as Saracens playing on open fields.

The international game was decent but they only had the five nations and an occasional touring team from NZ or SA. The Australians were very very weak. Even then in the 1930 s they expelled France for, wait for it, professionalism, which enabled French RL to take off to the point where it was the major Rugby code in the country at the outbreak of WW11 leading to the infamous and treasonable dance with the devil of the Vichy annexation just to save RUs neck.

Post war the boom in RL attendances eclipsed RUs club game to some tune.

It was the 1995 move to professionalism and the injection of major capital from well heeled entrepeneurs which finally propelled RU to major status. So RU has been major for less than 20 years. Even now it only encompasses half the country.

I think you're dreaming there, pal.

If I'd have asked someone 40 or 50 years ago to name five sports, I'd have been surprised if Rugby Union had been named as late as fifth.

Club's attendances ? Sure they were poor but that's not relevant here. We're talking about playing.

Take away Workington and Whitehaven and the game here in Cumbria was played amongst the villages. Now no-one with any common sense could possibly call that "major". I don't think many matches from those days got reported in the national press!!!!!!

Amazing how all these pre-war Cumbrians got into the game then.

Don't know what the national press reports have to do with it. As I said in the post above, we're talking about playing here.

Amazing how all these pre-war Cumbrians got into the game then.

Don't know what the national press reports have to do with it. As I said in the post above, we're talking about playing here.

Those that "got in to the game" took the chance and moved away from Cumbria, probably to look for work outside the game. At present those that make it to SL take the chance and move away from Cumbria but in order to do that they probably have to give up a job outside the game and that is a big ask.

The remark about the press was a throw away remark meaning that I don't think the game here was that major that it made the national press and I was also talking about playing the game and trying to give a reason or two why there isn't as many young Cumbrians coming through to SL. They either stay in full-time employment and play semi-pro or amateur in Cumbria rather than take the chance at a SL club and moving home, etc.

Those that "got in to the game" took the chance and moved away from Cumbria, probably to look for work outside the game. At present those that make it to SL take the chance and move away from Cumbria but in order to do that they probably have to give up a job outside the game and that is a big ask.

The remark about the press was a throw away remark meaning that I don't think the game here was that major that it made the national press and I was also talking about playing the game and trying to give a reason or two why there isn't as many young Cumbrians coming through to SL. They either stay in full-time employment and play semi-pro or amateur in Cumbria rather than take the chance at a SL club and moving home, etc.

OK, well we're arguing about semantics here - but the fact remains that Cumberland was producing professional players long before it had professional clubs. Indeed, one of the driving forces behind their formation was the supply of players.

Add james donaldson, gary broadbent, rob purdham, anthony blackwood, gary chambers

Anthony Blackwood is from Leigh isn't he?

Anthony Blackwood is from Leigh isn't he?

Wales - if you believe his wikipedia entry. :mellow:

Young players have left for Australia in the past, there's nothing new here.

But how young :(

But how young :(

Matty Russell was 19

was Anthony Blackwood not a Wiganer, he certainly lived in Wigan as a teenager and played at Wigan St.Pats, he played for Wales and gave me his shirt from the european nations final v France for St.Pats wall

Is he Bobby Blackwoods son?

Does giving false information add any strength to your argument? Workington formed in 1945 (67 years ago) and Whitehaven formed in 1948 (64 years ago) does not in any way become 100 years of being the major sport here.

So Rugby league started in Cumbria post second world war then?

Cumberland didn't produce great players pre-war and give Yorkshire and Lancashire a hard time then?

I'll accept a brief apology for the false information crack.

so can we have a breakdown of how many players have come from bradford or hull as neither aeem to have produced as many as would be expected for areas with super league teams and thus more investment

I've supplied such breakdowns before, but will update it specially for you.

I've supplied such breakdowns before, but will update it specially for you.

cheers its just you never seem to see that many locals in the hull teams for some reason even though its a strong area for junior teams which puzzles me somewhat .

so can we have a breakdown of how many players have come from bradford

Out of the Super league clubs top XV11's there's seven Bradford lads. Three are still at Bradford along with three Leeds lads and six overseas players primarily making up their numbers.............

Fartown have five locals to go with two bradford and three Halifax lads to make up their major part of the team. plus four overseas.

cheers its just you never seem to see that many locals in the hull teams for some reason even though its a strong area for junior teams which puzzles me somewhat .

There's three Hull lads in the first XV11 of Hull FC. They make that up with five "Calder" lads and five overseas.

There's six Hull lads at Rovers with eight overseas players.

The junior sides must be strong in numbers but not a lot of great talent emerging.

Four Hull lads ply their trade in SL outside Hull so TBF Hull/Rovers can just make up a top Superleague Hull born X111 between them

Out of the Super league clubs top XV11's there's seven Bradford lads. Three are still at Bradford along with three Leeds lads and six overseas players primarily making up their numbers.............

Fartown have five locals to go with two bradford and three Halifax lads to make up their major part of the team. plus four overseas.

So am i reading this right, there are 7 lads from bradford playing in super league at this present moment?

Many, many did and James Lomas, one of the all time greats was one of them.

other Cumberlanders inc. Dougie Clark, Martin Hodgson, Jim Brough....39 caps for GB between them.

So am i reading this right, there are 7 lads from bradford playing in super league at this present moment?

In the starting XV11's yes.

The junior game is rather limited to one side of the city

No idea where they've got that from, he came through the academy at Leigh, though I think he's a Wiganer rather than from Leigh. Definitely not Barrow anyroad.

I wondered that also but i just went along with it because i wanted to bump cumbrian sl players up :rolleyes::D

In the starting XV11's yes.

The junior game is rather limited to one side of the city

so that is only one more than current cumbrian super league players, in fact ill call it equal, 7 each because id count singleton as a current sl XVII player as i reckon he will feature alot for wakey this year, so thats not bad for a county with no sl team or academy?