Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trakl

Schools Rugby League

60 posts in this topic

From an old man's point of view, you have no idea how amazing a statement that is. As can be seen from other posts the game had difficulty being played in the schools in the North and a school in Surrey playing the game was in the realms of pure fantasy. No wonder the RU fought against the "free gangway" rulings tooth and nail. The relaxation of such and the end of the :"Rules as to professionalism:" led to such things as your son's school in Surrey playing RL. With any luck it will ultimately lead to our game overtaking their unattractive version of Rugby....

here you are popping up getting all excited about RL in Surrey.

Then Tw 15 pops up and says "The reason for the growth in Surrey has a lot to do with the Broncos".

My how that must have burst your bubble.

The Broncos - you know, the useless SL club that has no effect on the growth of RL in London. :lol: :lol:

Then Tw 15 pops up and says "The reason for the growth in Surrey has a lot to do with the Broncos".

The Broncos - you know, the useless SL club that has no effect on the growth of RL in London. :lol: :lol:

Touchee, Parksider. One thumb up to you but the fact remains most amateur growth in London has has nothing to do with the Broncos/Crusaders/Harlequins/ Fulham team. It takes exceptions to prove every rule.

And why shouldn't RL followers get excited about the wholesale spread of our game, not only in Surrey but throughout the country.

I played amateur RL just before the advent of BARLA and, trust me, the game was in dire straights. The progress since the has been extraordinary and most of it has had nothing whatsoever to do with SL.

Surrey being in London. Obviously.

Surrey being in London. Obviously.

Kingston and Richmond have Surrey postal addresses, but are part of Greater London (London Boroughs of...) . Staines, Ashford, Sunbury & Shepperton have a Middlesex postal address, but are in the area administered by Surrey County Council. Elmbridge and Effingham are less confusing - they are in Surrey and have a Surrey postal address.

Kingston and Richmond have Surrey postal addresses, but are part of Greater London (London Borough of...) . Staines and Ashford have a Middlesex postal address, but is in the area administered by Surrey County Council. Feltham and Twickenham: Middlesex and in Greater London. Elmbridge and Effingham are less confusing - they are in Surrey and have a Surrey postal address.

Kingston and Richmond are both thought of as "not London" by those in London.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just find the idea of proving a point with London by citing clubs not in London as odd.

I doubt that Parky would cite Bradford clubs in response to a point about Leeds.

That's great and just the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. Are there schools that still won't have anything to do with rugby league? There has never been a better time for the Leeds club to do all that it can to encourage every school in the area to give the game a chance.

How about schools around Wakefield? The Grammar school is regularly featured in the Daily Mail for its rugby union exploits - is rugby league part of the curriculum?

The 2 private schools in Wakefield, QEGS ( grammar school) and silcoates play RU . All the normal schools play RL always have done Outwood Grange regularly feature in the schools finals

The 2 private schools in Wakefield, QEGS ( grammar school) and silcoates play RU . All the normal schools play RL always have done Outwood Grange regularly feature in the schools finals

Thanks for that answer. Is it impossible to imagine rugby league being taken board on by the above? Has it ever been encouraged by, say, Wakefield Trinity and then dismissed out of hand by these schools?

Thanks for that answer. Is it impossible to imagine rugby league being taken board on by the above? Has it ever been encouraged by, say, Wakefield Trinity and then dismissed out of hand by these schools?

i am sure i have heard of some rugby league invovlment at wakey grammar school but not sure how far it went .

I know Trinity use QEGS playing fields sometimes to train on and the

QEGS headmaster or head sports teacher is a big Trinity fan and has introduced RL to that school but not sure if they've played competitive RL there. QEGS & silcoates ( ironically where Trinity charman A Glover was educated) will always be RU just like all private schools in England, like said before all the state schools in Wakefield play RL always have done. On the other end of the scale Outwood grange tried playing RU for the first time in their history few years ago and ended up getting to the schools finals at twickers with a team through of RL lads playing RU for the first time.

I know Trinity use QEGS playing fields sometimes to train on and the

QEGS headmaster or head sports teacher is a big Trinity fan and has introduced RL to that school but not sure if they've played competitive RL there. QEGS & silcoates ( ironically where Trinity charman A Glover was educated) will always be RU just like all private schools in England, like said before all the state schools in Wakefield play RL always have done. On the other end of the scale Outwood grange tried playing RU for the first time in their history few years ago and ended up getting to the schools finals at twickers with a team through of RL lads playing RU for the first time.

cheers i thught i had read something about the school and rugby league that must have been it