Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sidnee

£££££££ Fev receiving 7 figure investment £££££££

345 posts in this topic

Bit picky, perhaps, but, as I recall, they weren't demoted. Twelve clubs got promoted to $uperleague and Fev stayed where they were. -_-

:D That's just silly.

Isn't this thread about a 7 figure investment in Featherstone.? That sounds like finance to me.

Being financially sustainable and getting an investment are completely different. If you arnt financially sustainable then an investment will be gone within a few years and of had minor impact in the long run.

Isn't this thread about a 7 figure investment in Featherstone.? That sounds like finance to me.

Well, let's see what it's spent on. Featherstone has been lossmaking for a number of years.

Featherstone were in the 1st Division when SL was formed. Even if they were not in the top 10, then they should have been given for a place ahead of a weak second division side like London and a non existent entity like Paris ( Where are they now). Widnes were similarly shafted. Hull KR, Wakefield and Huddersfield were all in Division 2.

Romantic claptrap was the essence of the Paris incarnation. No team, no money, no fans, no nothing. Like Don Quiote tilting at windmills. Romantic claptrap of the highest order.

Nobody said they were persecuted but fate was mentioned and demotion not on merit was theirs.

At the time Superleague was mooted, Fev were in the semis of the CC. They had done like many other clubs before them and sacrificed league position for a cup run. The Challenge Cup was much bigger in those days than it is today. Had they known what was coming perhaps things would have turned out differently. But they didn't. Indeed even after the Superleague deal was announced no one knew how results that season would affect Superleague places. The whole thing had the air of a stitch up. I reckon that's why Fev fans (and Widnes fans for that matter) felt so bitter. After all Paris, Oldham Bears and Workington all ceased to exist in short order.

Being financially sustainable and getting an investment are completely different. If you arnt financially sustainable then an investment will be gone within a few years and of had minor impact in the long run.

Like Salford and Barrow then.

At the time Superleague was mooted, Fev were in the semis of the CC. They had done like many other clubs before them and sacrificed league position for a cup run. The Challenge Cup was much bigger in those days than it is today. Had they known what was coming perhaps things would have turned out differently. But they didn't. Indeed even after the Superleague deal was announced no one knew how results that season would affect Superleague places. The whole thing had the air of a stitch up. I reckon that's why Fev fans (and Widnes fans for that matter) felt so bitter. After all Paris, Oldham Bears and Workington all ceased to exist in short order.

That's nonsense. Are we seriously saying that Fev were moaning about not being in $uperleague because they wouldn't have thrown their league games if they'd known Sky were going to come along ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dearie me !! Get the paranoia pills out.

Indeed and having a team capable of getting to the semi final of the cup should have counted in their favour as well.

I do agree with the fact that it was naughty the way SL was constructed - for mine, we should have announced the qualification criteria and given teams a year to qualify - ie top 10 plus London and Paris.

What I don't agree with is the suggestion that Fev or any other team were stitched up as the RFL didn;t want them in - as has been pointed out, it was hardly a dream SL lineup after the mergers had been thrown out, so they basically went with top 10 plus the two expansion teams. Nothing more to it than that IMHO!

Indeed and having a team capable of getting to the semi final of the cup should have counted in their favour as well.

Remind me which club's fans keep banging on about the league being the most important competition to win. :mellow:

Consistency - that's what should be rewarded. None of these one-off games. ;)

Anyway - stop now - my sides are aching. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It depends what the money is for, what strings are attached, if it materializes and if it does how much in reality the amount is.

At the moment its still an internet rumour.

I do agree with the fact that it was naughty the way SL was constructed - for mine, we should have announced the qualification criteria and given teams a year to qualify - ie top 10 plus London and Paris.

What I don't agree with is the suggestion that Fev or any other team were stitched up as the RFL didn;t want them in - as has been pointed out, it was hardly a dream SL lineup after the mergers had been thrown out, so they basically went with top 10 plus the two expansion teams. Nothing more to it than that IMHO!

Exactly - top ten plus two expansion clubs. There was enough criticism about London and Paris - imagine the fuss if the RFL had started cherry picking Hull, Widnes, Featherstone ahead of teams who'd finished above them in the league.

At the time Superleague was mooted, Fev were in the semis of the CC. They had done like many other clubs before them and sacrificed league position for a cup run. The Challenge Cup was much bigger in those days than it is today. Had they known what was coming perhaps things would have turned out differently.

They were 10th on Semi final day, 13th on the day the RL chairman agreed the proposals and finished up 11th.

The facts don't fit your supposition.

Remind me which club's fans keep banging on about the league being the most important competition to win. :mellow:

Griff, could you tell me where you stand when/if you attend matches at fev. then i can stand as far away from you as possible.

Exactly - top ten plus two expansion clubs. There was enough criticism about London and Paris - imagine the fuss if the RFL had started cherry picking Hull, Widnes, Featherstone ahead of teams who'd finished abouve them in the league.

There was no need to do that. London had been around for over ten years. They were hardly an expansion club, nor were they remotely successful. Paris did not exist and the chances of then succeeding in that city were slim to none. Featherstone and Widnes, both with impeccable RL pedigrees in the trophy winning stakes, should have been in ahead of either London or Paris.

AT THE TIME THE CHALLENGE CUP WAS CONSIDERED MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE LEAGUE

Which bit of that don't you understand

Like Salford and Barrow then.

Yes essentially. But investments should be made too try and make the club financially sustainable first as putting a investment into a club which isn't sustainable will likely have no impact in the long run ie your examples. If Mr Johnston had put his money into developing our club rather than going for what would get him the most immediate publicity and glory then we may be close enough too put a realistic SL bid in like fev. Unfortunately he didn't.

If fev use this investment too make the club a financially stable in SL conditions then there's no reason why they shouldn't be accepted under the RFLs criteria and should replace either Bradford or Salford, most likely its the latter.

It is still an internet rumour at the minute though.

AT THE TIME THE CHALLENGE CUP WAS CONSIDERED MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE LEAGUE

Which bit of that don't you understand

It's a bold claim.

They were 10th on Semi final day, 13th on the day the RL chairman agreed the proposals and finished up 11th.

The facts don't fit your supposition.

I can't speak for chairmen, all I know is that we humble fans on the terraces hadn't a clue whether the results counted or not. TBH I don't think anyone (even Mo) really knew what was going on. That was what was (and remains) so stupid about the entire project. Change the rules with the season almost over, what a good idea!

Griff, could you tell me where you stand when/if you attend matches at fev. then i can stand as far away from you as possible.

I can't stand for long these days. I can walk about but not stand still.

There was no need to do that. London had been around for over ten years. They were hardly an expansion club, nor were they remotely successful. Paris did not exist and the chances of then succeeding in that city were slim to none. Featherstone and Widnes, both with impeccable RL pedigrees in the trophy winning stakes, should have been in ahead of either London or Paris.

London's importance as a flagship is underestimated. A team in France was part of the concept of a European $uperleague. Paris was a surprise to me at the time, I'd have gone for something further south. Had we gone with a Catalans team in 1995, we may not have seen the same criticisms.

And you have to bear in mind that £87m completely dwarfed anything we'd had before.

I can't speak for chairmen, all I know is that we humble fans on the terraces hadn't a clue whether the results counted or not. TBH I don't think anyone (even Mo) really knew what was going on. That was what was (and remains) so stupid about the entire project. Change the rules with the season almost over, what a good idea!

Nobody is going to disagree about what the fans on the terrace thought.

They didnt sacrifice league position for the cup though, they were 10th!

A few weeks later in June, a pal of mine came back off holiday. He opened his mail and found a cheque for £25000. He didn't know anything about it and asked someone at the RFL what it was for.

They said it is for not signing to the ARL....

How many of those cheques went out... A fantastic waste of cash...

A few weeks later in June, a pal of mine came back off holiday. He opened his mail and found a cheque for £25000. He didn't know anything about it and asked someone at the RFL what it was for.

They said it is for not signing to the ARL....

How many of those cheques went out... A fantastic waste of cash...

Hmmm - I'm not sure those cheques were part of the £87m ........

They were probably from Sky via the RFL and for not siding with Channel 9 rather than for not going to the NRL as such.

They were probably from Sky via the RFL and for not siding with Channel 9 rather than for going to the NRL.

Yes, I was thinking that. I think they fell outside the RFL's deal with Sky. But it's 17 years ago now ..... :(

It makes you wonder what Farrell, Betts, Clarke, Offiah, Goulding, Newlove, Robinson, Connolly etc got dropped through their letterbox. . .