Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gingerjon

Austerity bites ... this time on posh London houses ...

18 posts in this topic

I found the blue plaques quite interesting when visiting new places. I once watched a programme about a National Trust property which was due some remedial work on it, with over fifty people turning up for discussion and with a generous buffet provided. Over in Europe, the EU meetings still enjoy lavish entertainment and dinners, complete with expensive wine and champagne. I often wonder how much money continues to be wasted in excess in times of austerity?

Over in Europe, the EU meetings still enjoy lavish entertainment and dinners, complete with expensive wine and champagne. I often wonder how much money continues to be wasted in excess in times of austerity?

This is staggeringly far from the mark. They do spend way too much on bottled water, though.

This is staggeringly far from the mark. They do spend way too much on bottled water, though.

Not from what I heard on a news programme, with the champagne alone eye-watering expensive!

They don't just put blue plaques on "Posh" houses

No, they don't.

But there's a huge number of lovely cream coloured Regency style townhouses across zone 1.

Including one I used to walk past daily telling me that John Lennon lived there for a fortnight.

The landlord of the cafe next door to me made his own blue plaque out fo plyboard

Still, its nice for the tourists

£965 per plaque? Are they made of gold?

There's a blue plaque on the Post Office at Horbury Bridge, it says that the hymn "Onward Christian Soldiers" was written there - it's not very posh.

My mate lived in a house with a blue plaque whilst he was a student. One of Alcock and Brown lived in the house. It was a typical south Manchester student house, you can imagine the state it was in.

£965 per plaque? Are they made of gold?

Do you imagine they appear fully formed out of the earth?

Or do you think maybe someone has to research them, write them, check them, get them made and then put up?

John M (19?? - 20??)

Avid Daily Mail reader, Wigan RL fan and online debater.

LIVED HERE

(See it's easy and I resisted being rude!)

Or do you think maybe someone has to research them, write them, check them, get them made and then put up?

Still, £965......

It's Smurf's who don't brush their teeth.

plaque - £100

fitting - 30 mins at £20 per hour = £50

research on google = 30 mins £50 an hour = £ 25

(hopefully better than Weary's...I don't read the Daily Mail..no honestly...can't stand it but I know how much the forum likes it)

Total £175.

I'll do a bulk discount as I've lived in 8 places in the UK.

plaque - £100

fitting - 30 mins at £20 per hour = £50

research on google = 30 mins £50 an hour = £ 25

(hopefully better than Weary's...I don't read the Daily Mail..no honestly...can't stand it but I know how much the forum likes it)

Total £175.

I'll do a bulk discount as I've lived in 8 places in the UK.

Is that because you have in intravenously, or you have a psychic mind link with Paul Dacre? :lol:

I try to keep a balance e in my resding, which is why I read the left-wing rags like the Telegraph and The Times. :-) :-) :-)