Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joe142

Floodlight fundraising idea?

13 posts in this topic

I've stole this off afc's forum as if enough people were interested could make a fair whack! This is what was posted:

I have been chatting with Lancaster Branch about setting a betting syndicate up at short notice to try and raise at least £1k before the end of the season.

I'm making this post to gauge interest because we would have to move quickly if we wanted to get started for the next round of Premier League fixtures.

Our plan is to get a group of people prepared to pay £5 per week and then, when it's their turn to bet, they have £10 to play with.

Half of the money will be saved and the other half will be used for gambling.

If we get 20 people, we will make £900 guaranteed and then add the balance of the betting side to it at the end of the season to make a grand total.

Dave will be organising the collection of the money. You can pay direct to a paypal account that we will set up, by cheque to Dave or by bank transfer.

I'll be the one putting the bets on, organising the rota etc.. I'll post the results up every week and give a running total on how much has been raised. It will be totally transparent.

We want at least 15 to make it worthwhile doing, so if you want in, please reply in the thread.

There won't be any money shared out at the end between the people in the syndicate, all money raised will go to the club but we could ask the club for some prizes for the person who wins the most(or loses the least icon_e_smile.gif )

Obviously this would need someone to head it and keep check off all things and transfer all money made straight into the floodlight fund!

If you want to organise this Joe 142 then i will pledge £10 a week. Under RFL rules I am not allowed to bet so my contribution will have to go under somebody else's name. I am sure I can come up with a name for you if it takes off.

If you want to organise this Joe 142 then i will pledge £10 a week. Under RFL rules I am not allowed to bet so my contribution will have to go under somebody else's name. I am sure I can come up with a name for you if it takes off.

Surely the RFL can't stop you betting on soccer, can they? Maurice Lindsay was a bookmaker and that's a form of betting.

like i said i coppied it off the afc forum should have probably eddited it to be more applicable to us! i'm sure we could work something out, i just think it is a really good way we could raise quite a lot of money for the floodlights whilst also having fun at the same time!

I would be very carefull and look into the rules on gambling and any conection with the club, If for instance the club benefited from money raised by gambling on Rugby league then the RFL may have somthing to say ?

Nothing to stop people doing this off their own back and donating any profit to the club i would have thought? I agree though if the club or people associated with the club were to sanction such an endeavour or be seen to be involved there may be repercussions..Great idea though and give me a shout when its up and running.

I'm confused.

Is this betting on soccer? If so the RFL can have no objections.

It's gambling and the RFL frown on such things...I would imagine whoever has the turn to bet could bet on anything they want as long as it is covered by the bookies...so no betting on how many vodkas it takes for me to fall over...lol

It's gambling and the RFL frown on such things...I would imagine whoever has the turn to bet could bet on anything they want as long as it is covered by the bookies...so no betting on how many vodkas it takes for me to fall over...lol

They might have frowned on gambling last year, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Bookmaker becoming an official sponsor this year.

Dont get confused with sponsorship and fundraising by gambling on sport

Its a good idea in essence but a very tricky one at that. You guys could do it off your own back with no involvement from the club. At the end of the season give a donation to the club.