Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maxwel

National Cup

77 posts in this topic

More to the point who as actually entered it this year from the Conference, I feel it comes around far to quick for any of the ncl sides only been in training maybe 2 weeks

Does anybody have any idea when the draw is for the National cup?

Have the Miners entered this year Steve ?

I have just asked BARLA the question when is the draw?, and was told the first round should have been played on 19th jan but it has been put back till 9th feb. Even they could not give me a date for the draw.

20th Jan is the draw now, been advised that the list of entrants not finalised, hence it been put back, could this be to enable more NCL sides to enter?

Could be put back as not enough entrants so they're skipping a round?

Will basically be a repeat of the Yorkshire Cup but with fewer teams.

The full draw is:

ROUND ONE: Leigh Miners Rangers v Methley Royals; Drighlington v Thornhill Trojans A; Bank Top Harriers v Wibsey Warriors; Ossett Trinity v Dewsbury Moor; Cottingham Tigers v Ackworth Jaguars; Morley Borough v Upton; Wyke v Sharlston Rovers.

Byes: Dalton, Hilton Park, Hunslet Old Boys, King Cross Park, Leigh East, Nevison Leap, Queens, Queensbury, Thornhill Trojans.

The full draw is:

ROUND ONE: Leigh Miners Rangers v Methley Royals; Drighlington v Thornhill Trojans A; Bank Top Harriers v Wibsey Warriors; Ossett Trinity v Dewsbury Moor; Cottingham Tigers v Ackworth Jaguars; Morley Borough v Upton; Wyke v Sharlston Rovers.

Byes: Dalton, Hilton Park, Hunslet Old Boys, King Cross Park, Leigh East, Nevison Leap, Queens, Queensbury, Thornhill Trojans.

Good draw that - guarantees a double page spread in the League Express

Strange how the only Lancashire clubs (unless you count Dalton) are the 3 Leigh clubs. Plus 2 Thornhill sides is odd.

Strange how the only Lancashire clubs (unless you count Dalton) are the 3 Keighley clubs. Plus 2 Thornhill sides is odd.

you mean Leigh ;-)

Good draw that - guarantees a double page spread in the League Express

Well that does surprise me statman i personally didn't think it would get a mention in the league express or any other rugby paper let alone on here it just goes to show that i shouldnt jump to conclusions. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of many really appreciated.

Well that does surprise me statman i personally didn't think it would get a mention in the league express or any other rugby paper let alone on here it just goes to show that i shouldnt jump to conclusions. Thanks for bringing it to the attention of many really appreciated.

ste we will only get a mention because Phil Hodgson who writes in league express is involved with methley, its all he writes about!

ste we will only get a mention because Phil Hodgson who writes in league express is involved with methley, its all he writes about!

So as previously stated daryl, statman was correct, such a forward thinker eh.

methley, castleford league, winter and oxford cavaliers are all he goes on about unless he's slating summer or should i say the winter to autumn season as he calls it.

looks like the National cup has died a death hey, such a shame, once great comp.

There is still plenty of teams that could make a vibrant National cup even if the NCL teams dont but BARLA need to acknowledge that the majority of teams now play March-October and scheduled the competition in a suitable place, If it had been another two weeks later my club would have entered but 9th feb is only two weeks into our pre-season

Surely the rfl could create a national cup for tier 3 & 4 sides, they could have it as the curtain raiser for the northern rail cup final, like the ncl challenge cup was for the championship grand finals last year

There does need to be some kind of structure for cups as the current formats aren't great. The Conference Challenge Cup works but do the clubs want to extend it to tier 4 or not? It should include the Conference South and all 4 divisions of the NCL at least IMO.

The Community Shield had a rigged format that had an artifically high number of expansion clubs whilst capping the number of heartland teams to show off. I think it should instead be an open draw. If that means it becomes 80-90% Lancashire and Cumbria with Telford and a handful of Yorkshire and North East clubs then so be it. Arguably it should be merged with the Conference Challenge Cup though.

I'd keep the Yorkshire Cup in winter but move the Lancashire and Cumbria cups to summer (scrap the Wars of the Roses if it hasn't already been). Then I'd replace the past its sell by date Harry Jepson Trophy with an open entry Southern Counties Cup (possibly just tier 4) and a North East Cup.

I have just asked BARLA the question when is the draw?, and was told the first round should have been played on 19th jan but it has been put back till 9th feb. Even they could not give me a date for the draw.

Hardly worth bothering if only 20 teams

I'm surprised we never entered this season.