Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amber Avenger

NRL TV Rights in the UK...?

30 posts in this topic

Maybe it sneaked out over Christmas and I missed it, but is there any news on if Premier Sports are continuing their NRL coverage this year? The original deal they signed only took them to the end of last year and non of their advertising that I have seen (as of yet) contains anything NRL based. Not suggesting they are getting shut by the way - it must do well for them - but I just haven't seen anything.

I know there was a story on here about a month ago that a company had sealed some sort of international rights deal that included streaming options online but as far as I can remember that didn't include the UK.

Nothing mentioned anywhere yet as far as I know. Still 2 months till kick off though so not sure how soon we will hear, but I'd definitely like to know one way or the other!

sky have likely got it back.......or a long shot the new BT sports channel...

sky have likely got it back.......or a long shot the new BT sports channel...

Is that based on inside information, or just a guess?

well......... in the NRL press release a month or so ago it stated that games would be in HD......premier sports are'nt capable of broadcasting hd...

sky obviously are...and im sure the new BT sports channel will as well

But it also said that that agreement wasn't for the UK, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

On the Premier Sports FB page someone asked (in an NHL tread) about the NRL rights. The question had been asked in plenty of other treads but no reply was forthcoming. However a reply was received this time saying "the rights are still being negotiated."

On the Premier Sports FB page someone asked (in an NHL tread) about the NRL rights. The question had been asked in plenty of other treads but no reply was forthcoming. However a reply was received this time saying "the rights are still being negotiated."

I asked on twitter having replied to their tweet about NHL, but didnt get a response. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

well......... in the NRL press release a month or so ago it stated that games would be in HD......premier sports are'nt capable of broadcasting hd...

sky obviously are...and im sure the new BT sports channel will as well

HD - The Emperor's New Clothes !

Not that much better, sucks up all the storage on your Sky+ box if you record it. definitely not worth a tenner a month.

HD - The Emperor's New Clothes !

Not that much better, sucks up all the storage on your Sky+ box if you record it. definitely not worth a tenner a month.

You're clearly doing it wrong... HD is brilliant!

The NRL press release may have said that the games would be shot in HD, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the people who buy the rights for different territories can/will show them that way.

If it is Premier Sports who get the NRL coverage, and they can't offer HD, they can always broadcast in SD. And that'll be good enough for the majority of viewers, I'd guess, as long as the subscription price is reasonable.

You're clearly doing it wrong... HD is brilliant!

Doing it wrong in what way?????

Try turning the volume up and brightening your picture then u have what hd offers ya it's a load of ######

HD can be downscaled to SD by whoever broadcasts Premier sports (if they get it).

HD is here to stay and SKY have the capacity to transmit a lot more channels in HD. SD will slowly fade out.

Try turning the volume up and brightening your picture then u have what hd offers ya it's a load of ######

Another top tip for you if you believe that, get rid of your colour tv and buy a black and white set and a box of quality street. Once you have scoffed all the sweets, use the wrappers over your eyes and save hundreds of quid.

Another top tip for you if you believe that, get rid of your colour tv and buy a black and white set and a box of quality street. Once you have scoffed all the sweets, use the wrappers over your eyes and save hundreds of quid.

Tried that over Christmas it never worked looked to fuzzy lol

It is most certainly not a load of hashtags.

The difference in quality between HD and SD channels is out of this world, and its only going to get better.

Are you using the right HDMI cable from your Sky box to your TV? As daft as it sounds a lot of people have been watching HD channels in SD just because they are using the wrong cable (Dara O'Briain even joked about it on his latest blu-ray...!) ;)

The difference in quality between HD and SD channels is out of this world, and its only going to get better.

Are you using the right HDMI cable from your Sky box to your TV? As daft as it sounds a lot of people have been watching HD channels in SD just because they are using the wrong cable (Dara O'Briain even joked about it on his latest blu-ray...!) ;)

I do happen to know someone* who, after getting Sky, bemoaned the fact that HD wasn't very impressive. Taking a look down the back of her TV set, I noticed that the only connection from the Sky box was a SCART cable. :D

*name withheld to save her embarrassment.

I do happen to know someone* who, after getting Sky, bemoaned the fact that HD wasn't very impressive. Taking a look down the back of her TV set, I noticed that the only connection from the Sky box was a SCART cable. :D

*name withheld to save her embarrassment.

No need to save people from embarrassment.

Severus of this parish did the same.

HD or not I don't care. I hope Premier Sports get the rights cos they show 5/6 games a week.

Quanity over quality (of picture) for me.

Or you can watch a bunch of games for free via bet365.

HD or not I don't care. I hope Premier Sports get the rights cos they show 5/6 games a week.

Quanity over quality (of picture) for me.

......and you still can't get it on cable, whcih screws it for many of the rest of us.

But why should you care?

:P

the bigger question is surely "are bet365/other bookies showing every game again this season"

Yes I used the right hdmi cable just didn't find it worth £10 ontop of my sky bill so I cancelled that and got multi room Which is worth the extra £10