Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Oxford RLFC news thread

78 posts in this topic

Maybe so but it's no more than fair competition for players. I imagine that Oldham signed players from community clubs without losing too much sleep over "raiding squads".

I'm sure they did although community clubs are likely to have perceived their players going into the professional game as kudos to them.

Are the players training in Oldham (or nearby) and travelling down to Oxford for games?

I can't think of one case where this system has worked for any length of time.

Not sure if it is accurate to describe Oldhams squad as being raided .With the arrival of a new coaching set-up I think most if not all of the departures were inevitable given the below par performances of last season . In recent years we have had some success in promoting the best young players from the reserves and several Championship clubs were chasing their signatures but with the exception of Alex Thompson they have all stuck by Oldham . They will probably make up about half of our starting 13 this year . Regular stalwart Neil Roden is still with us and the rest of the squad is mostly made up of ex U20 SL players .

With so many changes it is too early to say for certain how we will go this year but I am more confident of success this year than I have been for some time . Think that the games against Rochdale and Crusaders are far more crucial in terms of who will be promoted but the abundance of ex Roughyeds at Oxford will certainly add spice to those fixtures.

I also agree that it is far from ideal from Oxfords point of view to have seperate training sessions for their northern based players as team morale may suffer from there being 2 distinct factions within the same squad . Time will tell .

I can't think of one case where this system has worked for any length of time.

I agree.

It never worked for Runcorn / Liverpool in its various forms or Blackpool , .Chorley etc. out of Wigan , much . shorter distances for travel and a better talent pool than Oldham., but still unwound . Ask Martin Crompton, I think he was the last to attempt that effort.....

If this is their business model , major problems before they even kick off ????

I agree.

It never worked for Runcorn / Liverpool in its various forms or Blackpool , .Chorley etc. out of Wigan , much . shorter distances for travel and a better talent pool than Oldham., but still unwound . Ask Martin Crompton, I think he was the last to attempt that effort.....

If this is their business model , major problems before they even kick off ????

If they do as well as Blackpool did under Crompton, they can be well content for an inaugral season. Blackpool won a lot of games and got to the later stages of the playoffs. The problen was the money man quit.

If they do as well as Blackpool did under Crompton, they can be well content for an inaugral season. Blackpool won a lot of games and got to the later stages of the playoffs. The problen was the money man quit.

Crompton is a very good coach. He recruited well from a fairly limitless resource just 40 minutes down the road but it fell apart midway through the season.

Now try operating 3 hours each way from your home field on a part time basis.........

Championship One , along with NCL 3 and the new Conference South will certainly provide great interest this year.

Yeah NCL3 will see the return of all founder members to the NCL and as well as the two expansion clubs will have a Derby each in Wigan, St Helens and Warrington. Should be much stronger than division 2 as well.

Crompton is a very good coach. He recruited well from a fairly limitless resource just 40 minutes down the road but it fell apart midway through the season.

Now try operating 3 hours each way from your home field on a part time basis.........

This is why I fear for the new expansion clubs, In the past you ended up with semi-Pro clubs who in reality would struggle in the Pennine Premier never mind the NCL, I also have a fear of teams like Oldham slipping downwards in playing standard as clubs have to spend on required off field standards.

Yeah NCL3 will see the return of all founder members to the NCL and as well as the two expansion clubs will have a Derby each in Wigan, St Helens and Warrington. Should be much stronger than division 2 as well.

Bowes how many NCL games have you ever been and watched?

Bowes how many NCL games have you ever been and watched?

Depends if you count last year's division 3?

But Dewsbury Celtic found NCL2 easier than they did RLCN with little difference in team. Featherstone Lions didn't but that's to do with not being able to use NCL players.

Thus years NCL3 will be stronger than last year's with top NWML sides and Kells entering as well. Top regional sides usually out perform NCL2 sides on the field in cups.

Oxford Swoop for RAF trio

Oxford's recruitment today continued with the signing of backrower Alan Blewitt, He has played for the Combined Services at both Rugby League and Rugby Union, and has represented the GB Armed Forces at the last World Cup in 2008 and will also be representing them again in this year's tournament which is due to be held in the UK. Alan has also represented Henley and Chinnor Rugby Union Clubs.

"He is a big back row forward who stood out in the trials, he's very strong defensively, experienced and just loves playing rugby league," announced a delighted Tony Benson

We are also delighted to announce Ozzy Hicks and Phil Cavanagh will be joining the club's backroom staff.

Hicks will be coming on board as a sports and remedial massage therapist and said on joining Oxford "After many years playing Rugby League for the RAF, Combined Services and Oxford Cavaliers, this is a fantastic opportunity for me to put something back into Rugby League especially in the great City of Oxford. I am sure there will be a few doubters but with the professionalism and enthusiasm of the set-up I am now involved with, I am certain we will surprise many people."

Cavanagh will be the club's new kit manager and said "Having been based at RAF Benson for the past 18 months with very little Rugby league in the area I was really excited to hear about a new team starting up in Oxford. A couple of my friends told me about it and said there would be an open trial for player recruitment, as head coach of RAF Benson, that got me excited as it was a chance for some of my players to show what they could do. I was then told the club were looking for a Kit Manager and would I be interested in this post. I had a few chats with the Head Coach, Tony Benson, and accepted the offer straight away."

"It is a very exciting time now being involved with Oxford RL from its very start and I look forward to helping the club grow and establishing Rugby League in the South. I never thought I’d be involved with Rugby League at this level so I am very grateful to Tony and everybody else at Oxford RL for giving me the opportunity."

This press release hints at one of the key aims of the inclusion of Hemel, Oxford & Gloucester in the semi-pro ranks.

There are lots of people who have a league connection who do not live in the so called heartlands. Often those people are lost to the game when they move. These semi-pro clubs are ways that people can be kept within the rugby league family and the rugby league family can connect with new people with new money and new ideas to help build the game.

It's not all about trying to find a new club that's going to win Super League and play in front of 10,000 fans every other week in a shiny new stadium within a few years.

I hope Oxford's strategy is to use this recruitment from the North as a way of starting well and attracting crowds from a base of zero. It's probably not sustainable for more than a season or two. However if they use that time wisely to pull in more locally based players (RU, Army, Broncos Academy players etc.) and raise them to a better standard while they transition then it may just work.

They are looking quite strong though.

They're certainly doing a lot of swooping down Oxford way...

Oxford swoop for Burch

Oxford's recruitment plans continued today with the signing of 25 year old fullback Ian Burch. Burch who can also play at centre or on the wing has previously played for Bracknell RFC and Old Patesians RFC and has also represented Hampshire at county level.

Coach Tony Benson said of his latest recruit, "Ian was the stand out at the trials, he is extremely elusive and has excellent agility. He is not the biggest but certainly one of the strongest and is an excellent passer of the ball."

Ian was delighted at joining Oxford and said, "I am looking forward to the challenge ahead, we have put together a fantastic squad which has so much talent and I am looking forward to playing my part in that. My aim is to score lots of tries and to develop as a player."

Press Release: Oxford sign Cavalier

Oxford RL recruitment drive continues as we are delighted to confirm the signing of 23 year old Centre Jack Briggs.

Briggs who can also play on the wing has previously represented the Oxford Cavaliers.

"He is a big strong unit, scored 3 or 4 tries in the trials and has played strongly throughout the season," said Tony Benson on his latest recruit.

On signing with Oxford Jack was delighted. "It was unexpected and is an amazing feeling, it is great that Professional Rugby League is heading to Oxford."

"My aspirations for the season is to keep working hard, I am new to the game but I am looking forward to the challenges ahead and working with Tony and the rest of the coaching team."

Oxford Cavaliers coach Matt Walsh said, "Jack has been with Cavaliers for approx five seasons now. Over the last three years he has become a real class player. His speed, strength and ability to pick the right line has meant that he has torn defences apart at conference level. He was the top try scorer in the league during the Cavaliers title winning 2012 season.

"He is truly dedicated, reliable and gives his all. Making the step up to play Championship One football will really benefit Jack. Playing with other quality players will bring his game on in leaps and bounds. Rather than having to step in to do extra work at pivot or first receiver he can concentrate on exploiting space out on the fringes"

"It'll be an exciting season. I'm sure Jack will be a real asset to Oxford RL."

Oxford sign Cavaliers Chairman

Oxford are delighted to announce the signing of scrum half John Connaughton from Oxford Cavaliers. Connaugton who can also play in the hooker position is the current chairman and club captain of Oxford Cavaliers and his previous club's include Oldham Saint Annes, Saddleworth Rangers, Royton Tigers and Halifax Blue Sox.

Coach Tony Benson said of his latest recruit, "He has been the stewardship of the Cavaliers and really stood out in the trials where he made some excellent breaks and is a fantastic passer of the ball.

"He's doing a lot development work off his own back for a number of years in the Oxford area, so for him to get involved and be part of our club is fantastic."

John was delighted at making the move and said, "I am really excited about being part of the history of Rugby League in Oxford. Firstly being invited back to the final trial felt like a great achievement especially at the late age if 29. To go one better and be lucky enough to be part of the final squad, I didn't think was possible.

"It's certainly the highlight of my Rugby League career so far, I've got that hunger back that I had when I was 16 training with the Halifax Blue Sox. I hope I can be a big part of the squad in our debut season and with a bit of luck I can INSPIRE some of the pupils at Bartholomew School where I work to become involved in the game."

Oxford sign up Irish International

Oxford are delighted to announce the signing of prop forward Matty Hadden. Hadden who can also play second row played for the Antrim Eels over in Ireland where he made 4 appearances last season scoring 10 tries in the process. Matty made his debut last season for Ireland and played against the England Knights, he has also represented the Irish students and Ireland A in his short career so far.

Coach Tony Benson was delighted to secure the services of Matty and said, "I was alerted to Matty by Wayne Kerr who I coached at Skolars. He played a few games for Ireland A but quickly progressed to the full Ireland team where he played against the England Knights last season. I watched a couple of his games and was very impressed, he is a powerful player, strong and has lots of ability.

"Wakefield are very keen on props and Richard Agar is keeping a close eye on him and Matty will attend some Wakefield sessions throughout the season. We have also arranged for Paul Sculthorpe MBE to act as a mentor to help him develop as a player. This is where the pathways that we have put into place come into fruition.

"Matty also got the opportunity to train with Sheffield during their pre season and he got the train to every session until our pre season started and I think that shows how much Matty wants this opportunity and to continue to develop himself."

Matty said on his move, "I am chuffed to join the club and I am glad to be presented with the opportunity. My aim this season is to play as many games as I possibly can.

"We had our fitness testing a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed with the squad and there was a high standard displayed and I have no doubt we will have a successful season."

Club President of the Antrim Eels Pascal Mulot said, "Matty is a quality player, who will do really well in Championship One and has a bright future ahead of him. The club is delighted for him and wish him the best of luck for the future."

Oxford could be the ones to watch. Be interesting to see how they go

Oxford Capture Ireland A Star

Oxford have strengthened their Irish connections further with the signing of Kenny Calladine who joins the club from the Ballynahinch Bunnies. Prop Calladine who has also represented Ulster students and Ulster, was selected for Ireland A where he spent last summer training.

Kenny is delighted at making the move and said, "I am truly grateful to be given this opportunity with Oxford, and I can't wait to be a part of what is already looking to be a top quality set up. There is a lot of hard work to be done, but I am looking forward to the challenge ahead.

"My goals for the season are simply to fight my way into the team and stay there. There has been some quality players signed so competition for places will be fierce and I am now just looking forward to working hard in pre-season with Oxford and towards our first match in March."

Oxford Coach Tony Benson said, "Kenny is a very big unit, he is agile, quick for his size and can pass in traffic. He caught my eye with the high number of tackles he made in a row when under pressure considering his size and he has a big future in the game."

Oxford snap up young half

Oxford's recruitment plans are gathering pace with the signing of 23 year old halfback Tommy Connick. Tommy has played for Leigh and more recently Oldham and has honours with Lancashire and Great Britain.

Coach Tony Benson is delighted to secure the services of Tommy and said, "He is a very good young half from Oldham who fought his way into the first team squad. Tommy has an excellent kicking game and is very strong for a half, He will be a huge asset this season."

Tommy is delighted at making the move and said, "I am thrilled to be here and I am looking forward to getting some good wins behind us as I believe with the squad we have assembled can surprise a few people this season."

Oxford land Cavalier

Oxford are delighted to announce the signing of 23 year old centre Matt Fiander. Matt who can also play loose forward has been playing for Oxford Cavaliers and has previously represented Henley Hawks RFC and the University of Gloucestershire. Matt has representative honours for South England Students.

Coach Tony Benson said, "Matt in the trial stood out in positional play, played centre and ran some really good lines."

Matt said on his move, "I am hugely excited to be playing for Oxford Rugby League and look forward to a good year. After playing for the University of Gloucestershire, I'm looking for a new challenge in the professional world of Rugby League.

I look forward to a solid few months of pre-season to get prepared for a solid season. Although this will be a tough first year, I feel confident that we can solidify our place in this league as serious contenders."

Oxford will finish in the bottom 4. I'm not arguing. Wait and see.

So who are you going for 1-9?