Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

An eerie silence from Gloucester All Golds.

111 posts in this topic

Non of my comments are 'being negative'. I am forever bigging up RL down South. I just feel that having a real bonus in having a semi pro club not too far from where i live is a one off opportunity that is being badly managed so far. If they start to sort out their act (as a few of your posts suggest they are doing) then brilliant, nobody will be as pleased as I will be.

TBH, I think most of the more overtly positive responses (including mine) are because of the quite needlessly negative opening post. Nobody wants another Northampton and that situation was (in my view) handled about as well as a bad situation could be - although the RFL got into the mess with a bit of wide-eyed optimism that was quite ridiculous.

Northampton on the outside were doing a lot of the things that people now say the All Golds were doing: they were doing local promotion, running RL clinics and getting fans involved via websites etc. We don't know how the All Golds will pan out but the fact that they aren't doing much of those things but seem to be doing more about getting a team on the field strikes me as a good way of doing things - hopefully they will, in time, be doing both.

The thing is that there has been a bit of concern that the university model will exclude the people of the town who should be part of bedrock of the RL community. It's not exactly a good thing that the UGG have no website but you can read about their existence if you trawl through the youth pages on Leeds Rhinos website. How many people in Gloucestershire will be doing that?

Yeah I got abuse for criticising Northampton Rebels on here.

Think Crusaders. How much vitriol was thrown at those who said that they weren't ready for SL? They lasted one season before relocating under a financial crisis then folding two years later.

The number of mudslingers who later admitted that they had been foolish = 0.

Conference South?

Nope - though the line-up of Conference South and fixture format should be announced soon, as clubs have been asked about different season structures etc

Nope - though the line-up of Conference South and fixture format should be announced soon, as clubs have been asked about different season structures etc

Yeah heard some of what's happening. Just a shame the league isn't bigger

Have I missed out the Eastern Region here? Thus we're still short of 3 semi pro clubs presently; Eastern Region, West Midlands & East Midlands.

Have I missed out the Eastern Region here? Thus we're still short of 3 semi pro clubs presently; Eastern Region, West Midlands & East Midlands.

Hemel

TBH, I think most of the more overtly positive responses (including mine) are because of the quite needlessly negative opening post. Nobody wants another Northampton and that situation was (in my view) handled about as well as a bad situation could be - although the RFL got into the mess with a bit of wide-eyed optimism that was quite ridiculous.

Northampton on the outside were doing a lot of the things that people now say the All Golds were doing: they were doing local promotion, running RL clinics and getting fans involved via websites etc. We don't know how the All Golds will pan out but the fact that they aren't doing much of those things but seem to be doing more about getting a team on the field strikes me as a good way of doing things - hopefully they will, in time, be doing both.

Northampton seemed to be the typical soccer club looking to make money out of having a RL club using their facilities, especially since RL is now a summer sport. When the realities dawned and the expected profits weren't right around the corner, they bailed out. Fulham, Carlisle and Mansfield all did the same. When the money ceased to flow in they bailed.

Gloucester have no such soccer tie up and, I think, Lionel Hirst, a proven RL afficiondo, is involved so they have the best intersets of the game of RL at heart. The University tie up is new and unique for our game so i am hopeful it will all work out.

Didn't realise Hemel was ER - had it down to Southern with Oxford.

With soccer link ups the shared costs only seem to work with bigger set ups - Huddersfield and Wigan; do the likes of Rochdale and Doncaster benefit.

In the south you have these three new set ups each with its own unique aspect - HS long established, Oxford with name and impressive administration and UGAG with university link. Should be exciting to see how they all fare. I wonder what Skolars make of it all.

Northampton seemed to be the typical soccer club looking to make money out of having a RL club using their facilities, especially since RL is now a summer sport. When the realities dawned and the expected profits weren't right around the corner, they bailed out. Fulham, Carlisle and Mansfield all did the same. When the money ceased to flow in they bailed.

Gloucester have no such soccer tie up and, I think, Lionel Hirst, a proven RL afficiondo, is involved so they have the best intersets of the game of RL at heart. The University tie up is new and unique for our game so i am hopeful it will all work out.

They have the interests of the university at heart, only a rugby league club has the interests of rugby league at heart.

I think some of the concern is justified to be fair. To be so close to the debut season without a website, confirmed squad etc is worrying.

There is some information out there but the point is you have to seek it out.

I think some of the concern is justified to be fair. To be so close to the debut season without a website, confirmed squad etc is worrying.

I think they do have a website but it is buried on Pitchero.

All they need is a registered name and point it at the site. Cost a couple of quid a year. Eg www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk although even this has confused a few people at our club! :-)

Knowing the set up of the club, their current management skill mix is wrong. It is worrying, but I hope that they can become more visible very soon.

That being said, they may be very visible in Cheltenham - it's difficult to fully assess something like this unless one is 'on the ground'.

Early days, and one would expect them to be a bit rough around the edges.

I did hear a whisper a year or two ago that would start up and operate with a strong contingent of Leeds Academy lads.

There's definitely a Leeds influence (the Rhinos even have full time staff in the region), perhaps that influence could do with being even stronger

I did hear a whisper a year or two ago that would start up and operate with a strong contingent of Leeds Academy lads.

I can't believe the RFL plan that far ahead.

Don't know what's happened to their site but I know they've a full squad in training. Two or three Scorpions players from last year will probably be in it.

Non of my comments are 'being negative'. I am forever bigging up RL down South. I just feel that having a real bonus in having a semi pro club not too far from where i live is a one off opportunity that is being badly managed so far. If they start to sort out their act (as a few of your posts suggest they are doing) then brilliant, nobody will be as pleased as I will be.

to be honest it was the comment "has anyone heard any news on the formation of the All Golds or anything slightly promotional?" that made me post the links etc..

as for your interest in the schools promotional side.. not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but have you thought of contacting them and suggesting it, maybe even saying that you may help out or no someone who can..

there is a lot to do setting up a club etc and if people have ideas or can help then it is more than useful for them to stick their hands up with either suggestions or offers of help.

to be honest it was the comment "has anyone heard any news on the formation of the All Golds or anything slightly promotional?" that made me post the links etc..

as for your interest in the schools promotional side.. not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but have you thought of contacting them and suggesting it, maybe even saying that you may help out or no someone who can..

there is a lot to do setting up a club etc and if people have ideas or can help then it is more than useful for them to stick their hands up with either suggestions or offers of help.

To be honest, I have better things to do with my time than to email a load of clubs on the off chance that they are doing something with local schools that they are keeping a secret.

If they wanted local schools involved they should have contacted them. As I said, maybe they did and the PE staff didn't forward it on. Who knows.

I really do want Glos to be a success but I can't think of one advantage they will get by not engaging with their public unless they genuinely want to play every game behind closed doors. You shouldn't have to go out and search for info, they should be making themsleves as visible as possible.

To be honest, I have better things to do with my time than to email a load of clubs on the off chance that they are doing something with local schools that they are keeping a secret.

If they wanted local schools involved they should have contacted them. As I said, maybe they did and the PE staff didn't forward it on. Who knows.

I really do want Glos to be a success but I can't think of one advantage they will get by not engaging with their public unless they genuinely want to play every game behind closed doors. You shouldn't have to go out and search for info, they should be making themsleves as visible as possible.

thats the spirit.. i really want them to be a success but i frankly cant be bothered to drop them a quick email to offer ideas or help!

I understand what you are saying with the last paragraph but you have finite resources and maybe they are being deployed in other areas and some help would be very much appreciated.. yes you shouldnt need to search for it but frankly there are times i have to search for information on sheffield wednesday and you would assume they are getting things out.. i just miss them/need different info/ignored it first time around.. and as you say maybe they have but the relevant member of staff hasnt passed it on which is hardly their fault..

in the time it took you to reply to my post you could have emailed them posing the questions or offereing your help, after all its one club not "a load of clubs".. this is the one you are concerned about..

there are too many people in this world (and in my experience RL has a hell of a lot) who are prepared to complain and critisise but arent prepared to help.

there are too many people in this world (and in my experience RL has a hell of a lot) who are prepared to complain and critisise but arent prepared to help.

Why should some random poster on a message board be obliged to help out a semi-professional RL club that are not promoting themselves? Your argument is complete nonsense.

I am sure the all golds will be fine as Lionel would not have got into it otherwise, the man is a rugby league person through and through but prefers the romance of university league/the old york 9,s etc to SL i think:)

CM

He's a perfect fit then. SL is light years away., if ever , for Gloucester.