Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

l'angelo mysterioso

JESSOPS

43 posts in this topic

Sorry I wasn't saying there wasn't any, I was saying they are getting a lot less, in the last 12 months or so they have lost about 50% of the shops, interstingl the three that have tumbled are all on the high priced, high footfall streets.

Maybe camera shops in the future should be looking at being niche shops in side street locations which are much cheaper but the camera buying public will be still willing to search out.

This is pretty much inevitable as far as I can see.

It is true as mentioned elsewhere that I used Jessops to look at something, then buy over the 'net.

In Hastings we do have a much superior independent camera shop in Marriots, however, when Jessops closes it will be yet another empty shop in the town centre.

In York, Jessops just closed 2 small shops to move into a larger store just vacated by the bust Game chain.

Another area of retail taht the Supermarkets cover, same with Comet. A sign of the future maybe?

Sympathise with the bit about Sky news, I worked at ITV Digital right to the bitter end when they shut the doors and we knew an announcement was imminent when a BBC News 24 van turned up outside so we'd flick the TV on and wait to see what was going on!

I was in Jessops in Eastbourne yesterday, looking at a battery for my camera, there was no indication that they were about to shut up shop, otherwise I would have bought the battery via Amazon just after 6pm.

I was in Jessops in Eastbourne yesterday, looking at a battery for my camera, there was no indication that they were about to shut up shop, otherwise I would have bought the battery via Amazon just after 6pm.

I don't understand this post

I don't understand this post

Wasn't just me then.

I overheard someone say today Jessops has been bought by Peter Jones from Dragon's Den fame.

I overheard someone say today Jessops has been bought by Peter Jones from Dragon's Den fame.

He's bought the brand. I have no idea what that means in practice.

He's bought the brand. I have no idea what that means in practice.

Seemingly it's going to operate as online only. I'd expected that to mean that it would probably just be photo developing etc, but that appears to have been sold elsewhere, seeing as it's still trading. He's also seemingly bought at least some of their stock, so maybe it will just turn into a camera & accessories online outlet.

Anyone now of any private outlets in Yorkshire who would do repairs if needed?