Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Willow

What is going on with Widnes?

32 posts in this topic

Like with Hudgell's threat of last year it would be an odd time for him to bail. Good stadium and the first genuine crack at free agency with full cap or close to it. A general optimism on the terraces and in the pubs and clubs.

I don't think the league is doing enough to help these ambitious owners personally. It's not his fault that Leeds, Wigan etc. are already taken and we should want people like him at the "lesser" clubs. An expansion draft or at the very least some innovative help in attracting genuine stars to these clubs is the least they should expect for their significant investment. Would he be so frustrated and disgruntled if he'd been able to lure a Hohaia type star or 2 last year? I suspect not. And would Widnes be more watchable to the rest of us? Undoubtedly.

Again it comes down to the DNA of almost every SL-related thread on this forum - what is the vision for Super League? As an investor in a crumby club I'd want the RFL to throw me a bone or 2. No special favours - just a fair crack of the whip on the pitch.

Hope he rides it out. I'd also like to see him, Hudgell and their ilk apply more pressure on the RFL and be a positive force for change in the game.

Dave 'Nosey' Parker has never written a true story in his life. He trawls message boards picking up rumours and regurgitates them as facts. I would call him a disgraceful journalist but that would imply he has some journalistic ability. Id take anything he writes with a very large pinch of salt.

Bit like Neil barker at the MEN, he is too lazy to trawl and just visits the turkey.

Glad there is little in this as O'Connor seems the sort of person we need to keep.

Bit like Neil barker at the MEN, he is too lazy to trawl and just visits the turkey.

Glad there is little in this as O'Connor seems the sort of person we need to keep.

Bit of a mixed metaphor there .... :wacko:

Do we know "there is little in this" ? :huh:

With all due respect I recall Steve O'Connor making a statement that Widnes needed to be self sustaining over a month ago. To me that say's "I ain't putting any more money in", so why the shock and the automatic mockery of the article?

Like with Hudgell's threat of last year it would be an odd time for him to bail. Good stadium and the first genuine crack at free agency with full cap or close to it. A general optimism on the terraces and in the pubs and clubs.

I don't think the league is doing enough to help these ambitious owners personally. It's not his fault that Leeds, Wigan etc. are already taken and we should want people like him at the "lesser" clubs. An expansion draft or at the very least some innovative help in attracting genuine stars to these clubs is the least they should expect for their significant investment. Would he be so frustrated and disgruntled if he'd been able to lure a Hohaia type star or 2 last year? I suspect not. And would Widnes be more watchable to the rest of us? Undoubtedly.

Again it comes down to the DNA of almost every SL-related thread on this forum - what is the vision for Super League? As an investor in a crumby club I'd want the RFL to throw me a bone or 2. No special favours - just a fair crack of the whip on the pitch.

Hope he rides it out. I'd also like to see him, Hudgell and their ilk apply more pressure on the RFL and be a positive force for change in the game.

Surely his ambitions for Widnes would be a tad more realistic looking at SL from the Championship. Now in SL he'll realise how far off they are rather than having his ambitions capped because someone owns Wigan already.

Dave 'Nosey' Parker has never written a true story in his life. He trawls message boards picking up rumours and regurgitates them as facts. I would call him a disgraceful journalist but that would imply he has some journalistic ability. Id take anything he writes with a very large pinch of salt.

He's also a fan of trawling the local newspapers and "borrowing" their news as his own - or at least used to be in the days before online was so massive. I remember an article in the old Leaguer where he was commenting on something Robbie Paul had supposedly said to a friend, when what he'd actually published is a word for word lift of a quote Robbie had given the Bradford T&A the week before.

The thing that caught my eye is the report of another sponsorship deal for the NRL, this time several million $'s for the official NRL bookie. The kind of money we can, it seems, only dream about getting into RL these days.

The Aussies obviously don't have such a problem with gambling sponsorship, why are we so precious about it up here? Can the sport really afford to be quite so picky in this day and age?

With all due respect I recall Steve O'Connor making a statement that Widnes needed to be self sustaining over a month ago. To me that say's "I ain't putting any more money in", so why the shock and the automatic mockery of the article?

Because it's in the Sun.

Right from the start - http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/237852/Widnes-have-their-fingers-crossed

and more recently another mention of self-sustaining from the latest CEO - http://www.widnesvikings.co.uk/article.php?id=9491

All Clubs need to be self sustaining.O'connor has cleared their debts,improved their facilities,provided infrastructure,its now down to their fans to turn up in numbers,to make themselves self financing.Unfortunately,even most of the larger Clubs only break even,if they get to either the Challenge Cup Final or the Grand Final.People love to criticise Leeds,but they essentially make a profit,even if they don't made a Final,because their off field entertaining/dining/corporate facilities are first rate and virtually always sold out.The new money apparently going in at KR and Featherstone,together with new grounds at Wakefield/Saints,need to ensure that Clubs are profitable,whether or not they make it to a Final.

The panto the Giants WERE in according to DP, is not until Tues 15 Jan

FOS

dave "nosey" parker + the s*n = ######

nothing in it what so ever..........

Right from the start - http://www.express.c...fingers-crossed

and more recently another mention of self-sustaining from the latest CEO - http://www.widnesvik...cle.php?id=9491

ns

steve was making the point that we need more bums on seats to be more self sufficient, something he stated the very day he took over the reins at the club. we need a projected 7000 stronghold members to ahcieve this........

One major signing - Kevin Brown

Betts for another two years

I'd ask what is going on at widnes!!

Will this really bring in more fans??

Spending money we haven't got in a bid to get more bums on seats isnt the answer......the fans need to get behind the club (SOC won't prop us up forever), only with more revenue (plus perhaps clearing some dead wood) can we afford better signings

well said chuffer, we don't want a return to the ###### or bust days at widnes which ended in administration.......it's up to the people of the town to get behind the club and then we can generate the necessary income to sign more and better players.........

One major signing - Kevin Brown

Betts for another two years

I'd ask what is going on at widnes!!

Will this really bring in more fans??

if brown (who should be a fairly cheap), improves them as he should, then yes it should bring in more fans

Spending money we haven't got in a bid to get more bums on seats isnt the answer......the fans need to get behind the club (SOC won't prop us up forever), only with more revenue (plus perhaps clearing some dead wood) can we afford better signings

I for one do think getting rid of the dead wood should've been number one priority.

well said chuffer, we don't want a return to the ###### or bust days at widnes which ended in administration.......it's up to the people of the town to get behind the club and then we can generate the necessary income to sign more and better players.........

100% agree VW. I understand what is happening at the club, youngsters are the future, some great prospects at Widnes.

The question is how long before they make the grade and are the fans patient enough to wait??

I wish you good luck and enjoy your season, you've only got us twice this season :P

if brown (who should be a fairly cheap), improves them as he should, then yes it should bring in more fans

Not sure ow brown would be cheap??

One player doesn't make a team, but you're right, brown will improve you.

The reason I'm surprised by one big signing only, is more due to widnes previously trying / offering a large contract to DL before he retired.

IMHO it's going to a long time for widnes to build on the crowds and the present squad will not bring the fans in..... Soc needs to bring another 1 or 2 in now.

My opinion...... Have a great season you chemics

Can't believe they've made Paul Hansbury redundant though.

If you're reading this, Paul, good luck to you in whatever you do in the future. ;)

This is the problem with all sport, it is not a business. It's not even close to a business, if Widnes need 7000 fans to be self financing, that is only in the present climate. Once they hit 7000 fans, those 7000 are going to want to see an entertaining side to keep coming, which would require even more cash to be spent. Therefore upping the amount of fans to be needed to be self financing.

I'm not inclined to believe the story, but that is partially because I can't imagine that after only 1 year in SL, there would have been a plan for Widnes to be self financing or hitting halfway up the league.

If you look at Catalan as the best case senario, it took them 2 years of scrapping around at the bottom building a competitive side to really give it a go in their 3rd season.