Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

David Bowie

59 posts in this topic

I am certain i read once that Bowie sometimes used to write a few one liners on a strip of paper and then throw them into a hat and then pick them out at random which would then be how the song would come out.

CM

Mm.

He supposedly got the idea of the cut up technique from William Burroughs, who used it for his novels.

The stuff he did with them was very good indeed.

Not the stuff he did with them in a locked room

Mm.

He supposedly got the idea of the cut up technique from William Burroughs, who used it for his novels.

did he do that for laughing gnome and the little drummer boy?

did he do that for laughing gnome and the little drummer boy?

Timothy Leary inspired the Laughing Gnome. Katherine Davis wrote The Little Drummer Boy before Bowie was born and it is thought to have been inspired by the diminutive Buddy Rich. ;)

Timothy Leary inspired the Laughing Gnome. Katherine Davis wrote The Little Drummer Boy before Bowie was born and it is thought to have been inspired by the diminutive Buddy Rich. ;)

well played

Interesting i will look him up on wikipedia.David Bowie is from my home town Beckenham in Kent.CM

Burroughs also used a folding technique for some of his works; not sure if Bowie used this. Burroughs took copious amounts of heroin and shot his wife dead.

I didn't really enjoy the couple of his books that I read.

Burroughs also used a folding technique for some of his works; not sure if Bowie used this. Burroughs took copious amounts of heroin and shot his wife dead.

I didn't really enjoy the couple of his books that I read.

I couldn't get past the first 20 pages of The Naked Lunch.

There are some David Bowie songs that I really like

Life On Mars

Gene Genie

Kooks

Rebel rebel

Staeman

and a few others

and his covers Album Pin Ups is very good: genuine reinterpretations.

well crafted pop music.

There's a really good article about mick Ronson in this month's Uncut magazine. Apparently, he never got a decent wage when he worked with Bowie. Bowie dropped him from his entourage suddenly and without explanation.

I hadn't realised that Mick Ronson subsequently had a good friendship and working partnership with Morrissey.

Well I'm suitably impressed by the new album. Worth the wait.

Don't be fooled by the slow melancholy of the comeback single. It's good, but not representative of the rest of the album.

There's plenty of life left in the old Diamond Dog.