Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenilworth Tiger

David Bowie

Padge    2,308

Why? If he has still got something to give, and people still want to listen to his work (and judging by the positive reaction to his new 'single' they still do), then he should carry on.

Well let him inflict himself on 'them' via any other medium than a public one.

In the OED it should have an entry for overrated which says David Bowie.

Wolford6    971

A musical innovator and trendsetter par excellence. He admittedly drew on the founding influences of the Velvet underground and the Detroit rock scene but developed a persona and music catalogue that was a major influence on thousands of young kids' musical tastes. His influence cannot be denied, whatever your personal opinion of his output.

For a ten year period he was brilliant. Every new album was keenly awaited by fans across a wide range-band. His post-nineties stuff is less relevant but, by the same retrospective appraisal, so is that of the Stones, McCartney, Clapton etc ... but loads of people still want to listen to it.

A musical innovator and trendsetter par excellence. He admittedly drew on the founding influences of the Velvet underground and the Detroit rock scene but developed a persona and music catalogue that was a major influence on thousands of young kids' musical tastes. His influence cannot be denied, whatever your personal opinion of his output.

For a ten year period he was brilliant. Every new album was keenly awaited by fans across a wide range-band. His post-nineties stuff is less relevant but, by the same retrospective appraisal, so is that of the Stones, McCartney, Clapton etc ... but loads of people still want to listen to it.

he wasn't a 'trendsetter', he latched onto whatever was cool and 'arty' and took it from there. This went right back to The League Of Long men in the mid sixties, to getting involved with mime later in the decade. How was he 'relevant' in the first place? What was he relevant to?

Northern Sol    252

I admit he was influential and very many people take him seriously. I just cannot understand why. I cannot see any particular talent.

Wolford6    971
. How was he 'relevant' in the first place? What was he relevant to?

He influenced the music, fashion and lifestyle of a generation that was ten years younger than you.

Every generation haas its icons.

If he wasn't "relevant", he wouldn't have sold millions of albums

He influenced the music, fashion and lifestyle of a generation that was ten years younger than you.

Every generation haas its icons.

If he wasn't "relevant", he wouldn't have sold millions of albums

he influenced the music fashion and lifestyle of a small minority of a generation.

David Bowie is older than me and I became aware of him in the 60s.

what was he relevant to?

Black Lace sold millions, does that make them 'relevant'?

Johnoco    3,332

I'm quite a big Bowie fan. His work with Mick Ronson was brilliant. I even like his early 'Anthony Newley' period.

Jamie Peacock is a fan too!

Wolford6    971

Black Lace sold millions, does that make them 'relevant'?

Not as many as Bowie and next to none in the USA and Europe. I can't think of another band that's quoted them as a major influence.

They are perhaps still relevant in a Jimmy Savile-type sense. :ph34r:

If Bowie passed you by, fair enough. Amongst other things, I can't listen to most of the prog rock, Pink Floyd, rap music and house music outputs, but I can't deny that they have had influence and relevance.

Not as many as Bowie and next to none in the USA and Europe. I can't think of another band that's quoted them as a major influence.

They are perhaps still relevant in a Jimmy Savile-type sense. :ph34r:

If Bowie passed you by, fair enough. Amongst other things, I can't listen to most of the prog rock, Pink Floyd, rap music and house music outputs, but I can't deny that they have had influence and relevance.

he didn't pass me by.

I just don'r rate him

you clearly do and that's just fine.

Old Frightful    3,109

Well, I quite liked his 70's and early 80's stuff and his backing band "The Spiders From Mars" were from Hull so he did have summat going for him.

So there.

Ullman    739

Well, I quite liked his 70's and early 80's stuff and his backing band "The Spiders From Mars" were from Hull so he did have summat going for him.

So there.

The stuff he did with them was very good indeed.

longboard    960

I liked some of his early stuff.

His wide vocal range was unusual for someone in mainstream pop/rock. His voice sounds weak on "Where Are They Now" though.

Here's an alternative version of the video:-

So there.

weren't they an incarnation of the rats?

best band to come out of hull

Old Frightful    3,109

I believe so. I await Ullman's more extensive knowledge to confirm this.

Severus    280

he wasn't a 'trendsetter', he latched onto whatever was cool and 'arty' and took it from there. This went right back to The League Of Long men in the mid sixties, to getting involved with mime later in the decade. How was he 'relevant' in the first place? What was he relevant to?

You were wrong about punk and wrong about Bowie. You don't hae a great track record when it comes to this subject :P.

Ullman    739

I believe so. I await Ullman's more extensive knowledge to confirm this.

I might be mistaken but I think Mick Ronson was the only member of The Rats who went on to become one of the Spiders From Mars. There was another link from The Rats to Bowie though and that was drummer John Cambridge, who worked with Bowie before Mick did. It was Cambridge who came back to Hull to recruit Mick for Bowie's band.

dhw    193

An artist who has been hugely influential in various different areas and over a very long period of time. You would struggle to find many British solo artists that have had the same amount of influence. As for being relevant, the amount of interest in his return to the studio amongst art and music critics would show he is still considered relevant and contemporary. This return is about new material and not some retro nostalgia tour it is not clear if he will even tour. Whether he was a trendsetter is largely debatable but there is some truth in it.

You are confusing 'I do not like David Bowie or his music' with him having no relevance.