Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

There must be one plot of land in London where the Broncos can build there own stadium?

59 posts in this topic

The costs of trying to develop a ground are huge.

At Hemel, where we are trying to build a ground to Championships standards largely through our own financial resources, the cost of planning permission was £126,000 - that was before the first turf was turned.

The additional final building costs will fall not far short of £500,000. There is very little money available in the sport to do this so most of the funds have to come from selling 'pints of beer', our MUGA and collecting £1 coins on the doorsteps of Hemel via our local lottery each week and we rely heavily on volunteers to make it happen.

At Hemel, we are doing this becauise we will have a ground, albeit modest and with defects, that we can call our own and from which all revenue generated will be our own.

It would be nice for an 'investor' to come in but what sort of investment is a facility that will probably only attract crowds in the 00's to Championships matches and even low 000's to Super League matches.

Even if our six numbers and the bomus ball came up next Saturday night there is still the horrendous running costs of a stadium - hence why a lot of clubs prefer to rent their ground for matchday only. But doing this means you are always a tenant and never a landlord. And that creates other problems.

Why's that Jon?

I can't really reply without sending John Drake prematurely bald.

I'll leave it as: I wouldn't trust Barry Hearn's motivations regarding any sport as far as I could throw the man. And I would dearly love to throw the man.

I can't really reply without sending John Drake prematurely bald.

I'll leave it as: I wouldn't trust Barry Hearn's motivations regarding any sport as far as I could throw the man. And I would dearly love to throw the man.

ok

Personally I'd like the club to move to Orient but to play on the road games in other parts of London and Kent (e.g. Gillingham and Brentford). It would also be cool if the club could play a big annual game at Fulham if that was feasible. On the road games break the monotony

The Eastern Terrace at Brentford now has a stand over it.

you and me tend to disagree on all things London and home grounds.. and though in this case i dont necessarly agree with "basing" at Orient i really dont understand why the RFL would have an issue (and i dont know if they would) with the Broncos playing a hell of a lot of games "on the road" around London with one base (maybe orient, i have less of an issue of there are more ont he road games) which serves for a large number of games and is there HO address (for want of a better way of looking at it)..

It is after all the capital's club, it would help spread the word to more people, it would open up areas for "novelty" games so asking a large area to go maybe twice a year and if they like it to then travel around.. it would give "novelty" advertising ability which may be easier, it would help have the "medway dragons effect" of one off sales through schools/clubs etc and people doing it once rather than every week...

Basically i just think on the road is a good way to go for the london team. it is a different and difficult city to do soemthing in, it has different pressures of travel and time that is very difficult to get to grips with outside of London etc etc and i just think that if one club can serve the area then it would work and its the best way to do it IMHO

Essex would be a better place given that a number of past or present Ford employees who live in the area who used to work at the nearby car plant at Dagenham many of whom were transferred from various Ford plants in the North of England who have a affinity for RL from the days when they worked at places like Halewood which in RL terms encompassed Widnes, Warrington, St Helens, Wigan, Salford, Leigh and Swinton which meant many Ford Halewood employees came mostly from Lancashire and Cheshire and also (after 1974) Merseyside and Greater Manchester.

Essex would be a better place given that a number of past or present Ford employees who live in the area who used to work at the nearby car plant at Dagenham many of whom were transferred from various Ford plants in the North of England who have a affinity for RL from the days when they worked at places like Halewood which in RL terms encompassed Widnes, Warrington, St Helens, Wigan, Salford, Leigh and Swinton which meant many Ford Halewood employees came mostly from Lancashire and Cheshire and also (after 1974) Merseyside and Greater Manchester.

I work in Canary Wharf and many of the people I work with are from the Dagenham,Romford and Hornchurch areas.They and their families have no interest in any sport other than football (and then only West Ham,Arsenal or Spurs).

RL is way off the radar.