Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thundergaz

Wakey score

56 posts in this topic

Surprises me Gaz as I rate both your halfbacks. Maybe your coach is out of his depth ? ;)

Frank I can't knock DP what so ever he's done a fantastic job for us since he arrived. He as one way of playing the game and it as worked for us so far but when teams match us I.E the 2 finals last season our players seemed a bit lost in what to do next but that's just my opinion of course. As for our halfbacks they are the best 2 in our league no doubt about that. But no matter how good a player is he as to play to the coaches instructions.

Frank I can't knock DP what so ever he's done a fantastic job for us since he arrived. He as one way of playing the game and it as worked for us so far but when teams match us I.E the 2 finals last season our players seemed a bit lost in what to do next but that's just my opinion of course. As for our halfbacks they are the best 2 in our league no doubt about that. But no matter how good a player is he as to play to the coaches instructions.

Assuming that we are achieving the ultimate results.

Assuming that we are achieving the ultimate results.

Yeah true bob. But you have to assume we are.

Did the players get through yesterday with out picking up any injuries? I haven't heard any of them picked up injuries just seeing if anyone as heard anything? Hopefully they all got through it un scathed

Greg limped off but apparently was just a dead leg thank goodness .

I was happy with the second half and can't wait for the season to begin.

Hardmans try showed immense strength , all the players have put on muscle by the looks yesterday.

Lamont is going to be a HUGE crowd favourite if he continues.

Let the battle commence

Think Lamont is struggling with fitness but can make yards in the tackle. So he‘ll be a good addition this year.

Dave Scott looked promising... VERY QUICK!

addition this year.

Dave Scott looked promising... VERY QUICK!

He was getting out of my car when I had a speeding ticket in my hand...... he was off like Usain Bolt!!! :lol:

Think Lamont is struggling with fitness but can make yards in the tackle. So he‘ll be a good addition this year.

Well he's come to the right place to get fit. Our coaching staff and DP will get him fit I'm sure of that. If there is one thing our players lack it's not fitness that's for sure.

Lack of pace was what i got out of it...Cockayne's by no means the fastest guy in SL but we couldnt get near him.Got until feb 3rd to come up with a solution.could be a worry. :wacko:

Heppy exposed. A winger he isn't!

I hadn't realised it was Heppy on the wing until after the game. No wonder we were shipping most points down that side, as you're quite right, he ain't a winger!

In the 2nd half, I was just part way through commenting that our no 2 had gone much better at full back to my Wakey supporting mate, when he dropped the ball, leading to conceding a try. :rolleyes::lol:

Heppy to 13 for me.

Heppy to 13 for me.

Yep, options with interchanging with Briggsy there, and swapping Briggsy and Kainy at 6. Briggsy can also cover 7 if required, and Heppy 1.

One name I was pondering over yesterday was Jack Bussey. Is he injured?

To sum up, the score line slightly flattered the Wildcats. In the first half they scored two tries plus conversions from blatant forward passes, which, if they had been correctly disallowed, the result would have been much tighter.

Briggsy 6 Heppy 13.

We can't accommadate everyone. Ellis to 9 interchange with Kainy. - That would mean Kaye missing out but is the most effective use of the play-makers. Doesn't mean I think Benny the Ball is crapola, I just think we have more options with Kainy coming off the bench.

The only other consideration would be perhaps Heppy at 3 or 4, but I'm not sure he has the size for Centre.

Then, is there room enough in the squad for Matty Dale and Tim spears in the same team??? For me no. I think the two are very similar. We have a big squad now and I don't think you can play both. One or t'other.

Hardo

Tommy S

Helliwell/Sam if fit/available

Greg

Tomm H

Briggsy

Liam

Ingy

Ellis

Crossley

Lamont

Tim

Heppy

Matt James

Locky

Kainy

and then one other................ depending on oposition etc....

Daryl may have other ideas. He's the coach not me. Personally I preferred a settled team asap rather than rotating for the sake of rotation. Players get injured, others will get their chances.

But the sooner a settled team is arrived at the better it will be for me.

But like I said, I'm just a Ginger bloke that's never played or coached at that level.... there are others at the club who've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Briggsy 6 Heppy 13.

We can't accommadate everyone. Ellis to 9 interchange with Kainy. - That would mean Kaye missing out but is the most effective use of the play-makers. Doesn't mean I think Benny the Ball is crapola, I just think we have more options with Kainy coming off the bench.

The only other consideration would be perhaps Heppy at 3 or 4, but I'm not sure he has the size for Centre.

Then, is there room enough in the squad for Matty Dale and Tim spears in the same team??? For me no. I think the two are very similar. We have a big squad now and I don't think you can play both. One or t'other.

Hardo

Tommy S

Greg

Tomm H

Briggsy

Liam

Ingy

Ellis

Crossley

Lamont

Tim

Heppy

Matt James

Locky

Kainy

Daryl may have other ideas. He's the coach not me. Personally I preferred a settled team asap rather than rotating for the sake of rotation. Players get injured, others will get their chances.

But like I said, I'm just a Ginger bloke that's never played or coached at that level.... there are others at the club who've forgotten more than I'll ever know.

Maybe we should accomodate everyone. We'd steamroller the opposition with 23/24 players on the pitch. :lol:

Can someone explain the new rule today regarding our team kicking the ball chasing it not recovering it so ref brings teams back for a scrum and gives us head and feed

Yes. Sounds to me there was an infringement by Wakey, the ref allowed advantage, there was no advantage so the play was brought back to original position. Not under the new rules but good use of an old one.

Got to pull you a bit on that won Robin, you are indeed right heppy is no winger, but he was not helped by Andy Kain, who jumped out of the line on one occasion for an interception that was not on and left heppy well and truly exposed. Cockyane is class, for me we would have struggled to win the grand final that we did without him, he made two breaks in that match that pretty much saw sheffield off.

Briggsy 6 Heppy 13.

Hardo

Tommy S

Greg

Tomm H

Briggsy

Liam

Ingy

Ellis

Crossley

Lamont

Tim

Heppy

Matt James

Locky

Kainy

Bang on robin, I think briggs should be six playing on the right, and Kainy to scrum half. Briggs is wasted at 13 and cant seem to get into the game, his biggest strength is his width of pass, and he needs to be at 6. Cant leave kainy out so kain to hooker as you say and maybe benny missing out.

I agree too I've always said Briggs is a stand off and nothing more. Briggs was by far the best stand off in this league before the bulls took him. Get heppy and Matty back at 13 or maybe lamont could play 13 when he gets his fitness up because he looks quick to me don't know about his ball handling skills yet but if that's ok I think he would make a great 13. The problem we do have though is when benny is missing we seem to ship more points than normal as he is a rock for us in defence but I'm sure DP will get it right as the season goes on.

spot on robin, smeats defo in when he comes back and benny to miss out for me. would have james , kain , haley or bossy and then either dale or locky as the last replacement so 2 decent players to miss out each week. think kyle needs to go back to six , heppy attacking at 13 and kainy running riot from the bench!

i'm heppys biggest fan and always look for his name on the teamsheet, BUT, his problem is he's so good in so many positions it makes him an ideal bench player.. you could put him anywhere in the spine or at centre and he will do the job.

i'm heppys biggest fan and always look for his name on the teamsheet, BUT, his problem is he's so good in so many positions it makes him an ideal bench player.. you could put him anywhere in the spine or at centre and he will do the job.

Totally agree OR.

Bang on robin, I think briggs should be six playing on the right, and Kainy to scrum half. Briggs is wasted at 13 and cant seem to get into the game, his biggest strength is his width of pass, and he needs to be at 6. Cant leave kainy out so kain to hooker as you say and maybe benny missing out.

I keep on harping about this: Briggsy can't play down the left! At least not in attack. He's brilliant on the right though. I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it's a fact we need to accept. Last year Kain was our player of the season, but I believe that some teams have sussed him out, and when he was kept quiet in the two Finals we didn't know what to do! Perhaps we weren't as free scoring, but perhaps we were better with the line-up that beat Cas - Briggs R/H pivot, Heppy L/H pivot, and Kain at hooker or bench? Trouble with that is the team moves quicker with Ben at acting-half, and Ellis will be top class. I would use a squad rotation system for the pivot, hooker, and scrum half positions, so that by the time the two big finals come around we will know what our best formation is, but will also have well rehearsed cover for any unforeseen absences.