Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMEGA

Has Wane Lost the Plot?

36 posts in this topic

I'm just starting to wonder if Shaun Wane was ever the right choice to succeed McGuire at Wigan, I was very surprised when he was named as assistant and even more so when he got the top job.

They're not the same as they were under MM, they're not as solid and don't seem as ruthless or tight knit as a group. SW showed his naivety on a few occasions last year most notably the loss at Widnes and playing te young full back in a high pressure play off game against Leeds. He also made the most obvious gaffe when talking up how tough his pack was before they played Warrington who subsequently went on to crush Wigan in the forwards.

Now he selects a bunch of kids to go to HKR and face a near on full strength SL team and when they get beat up he throws them under a bus telling every reporter who'll listen that he's furious and disappointed.

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12215/8396513/Shaun-Wane-s-anger-as-Wigan-Warriors-suffer-heavy-Hull-KR-defeat

Having read the link you provided, I don't really see what the issue is here.

They won the League leaders shield and made it to two semi-finals last season. Only Tony Smith & Brian McDermott did better.

Calling for the Coaches head after a pre-season friendly is a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

He did well last year. Not many English coaches have won the LLS. It takes some winning.

Has Wane Lost the Plot?

No...

...but you have.

Having read the link you provided, I don't really see what the issue is here.

They won the League leaders shield and made it to two semi-finals last season. Only Tony Smith & Brian McDermott did better.

Calling for the Coaches head after a pre-season friendly is a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

I havnt called for him to be sacked, you made that bit up!

I'm asking questions about his ability based on his poor decision making and inability to accept any responsibility for F Ups

He did well last year. Not many English coaches have won the LLS. It takes some winning.

They got progressively worse the longer the season went on, suggests to me that it was as McGuires influence faded so did Wigan.

Has Wane Lost the Plot?

No...

...but you have.

Maybe he never HAD the plot

Nothing wrong with a coach expecting more from a promising group of youngsters. I'd have been more disappointed if he shrugged the result off and blamed youth / inexperience.

Wigan are likely to take a step back this season, but Wane isn't the issue, rather a general loss of talent and quality from the squad that couldn't be replaced.

Taking nothing away from MM, but his second season at Wigan, aside from the CC win, would have been judged more disappointing than Wane's first. I personally thought that Wane did an excellent job of giving youngsters their first taste of SL in 2012 notwithstanding the hiccup at Widnes.

They got progressively worse the longer the season went on, suggests to me that it was as McGuires influence faded so did Wigan.

I disagree. We started of poorly, then hit a real purple patch mid season where we brilliant, then faded fast at the back end of the season, probably due seemingly to fatigue. Now whilst that was down to Wane not rotating the squad properly, it is untrue to say we got progressively worse.

You have played two friendlies with a young squad both times. Wane may be disappointed in the young talent and to be honest do you blame him? He maybe thought the talent was better than it actually is. There is no doubt that when the season ends you will be in the top 4. To be disappointed in friendlies is a bit OTT to be honest especially when you had your youngsters out both times.

sorry but having seen the teams wigan have put out in the friendlies, i can't see how anyone can blame wane for the defeats, all he has done is what more super league coaches should do is have a good look at his young players in a non competetive game. no doubt they will be in the top 4 again this season but the only worry is the players brought in to replace finch and leuluai, certainly extremely hard acts to follow.....................

Playing the youngsters and wanting more from them, good on wane.

This is the right time to give them a chance, they'll only get better by playing together.

Nothing to worry about, wane has done well at Wigan, not enough British coaches in our game.

No one can doubt his passion for WRLFC

This is the right time to give them a chance, they'll only get better by playing together.

Nothing to worry about, wane has done well at Wigan, not enough British coaches in our game.

This! I'm sure these promising youngsters will only get better from this experience. Wane expecting more from them is all part of that experience, mollycoddling them won't help their development.

sorry but having seen the teams wigan have put out in the friendlies, i can't see how anyone can blame wane for the defeats, all he has done is what more super league coaches should do is have a good look at his young players in a non competetive game. no doubt they will be in the top 4 again this season but the only worry is the players brought in to replace finch and leuluai, certainly extremely hard acts to follow.....................

If I'm honest, I'm not sure of the point of playing a youth team in friendlies. It annoys the hell out of me when clubs charge a decent amount for what is essentially a youth game, simply because they know fans will pay it as they have been missing their Rugby.

I'm not sure what Wigan will have got out of their two games so far - personally I prefer introducing youth players in with the decent players. I want to see what young lads can do running off the 1st team halves and so on. But that's Wane's choice and who am I to argue with his record.

On his actual coaching record, I think it is harsh to say Wigan have gone backwards, although I do have some doubts about his temperament. He is often seen and heard losing his rag and showing his frustration. Maguire did used to do this, but I think he was more controlled about it - similar to many of the other top coaches. I wonder whether this affects his clear thinking and direction when it comes to the big games, which their record is not brilliant in under Wane.

That said, that is just my opinion as an outsider, and often people's persona is completely different to how they speak to the press or look on TV during a match.

If I'm honest, I'm not sure of the point of playing a youth team in friendlies.

I guess the early days are difficult as you'll have some lads who played play-off and representative rugby or had operations/treatment in the close season so will be at a different stage of pre-season to those lads who may not have played since September and are itching for a game.

Good chance to mix it up a bit for me look at fringe players and those graduating from the first team. From a fans point of view, I don't think anyone was under any illusions as to what team was being put out at Leigh.

Anyone concerned about a coach the calibre of Wane at this stage is a clown or a troll, delete as you see fit.

Is Wane not showing that he learns from his mistakes?

There is a time and a place to find out whether your youngsters can handle SL quality, and it is not in a regular season fixture as he discovered last season on a couple of occasions. He and his staff already know what the first team squad can do, how they fit together and know that it is going to be a long season this year, is there a pressing need to start them in the 'friendlies'?

I imagine he sees pre-season the best opportunity to cast an eye over the younger Wigan players to see who is ready or not to make the step up.

This is very disappointing news as I understand London had shown an interest.

Could have wrapped up two threads at once as well.

Wigan, with several players hopefully involved in the World Cup final on 30th November, don't play their full team in friendlies on January 5th and January 12th. Wane out!

Young squads often take a beating in pre-season.

Wane's point is that he expects his youngsters to perform better than they did - after the first warm-up game he said they made some mistakes he would not expect even youngsters to make. Nothing wrong with being aspirational and make it clear that there are standards he expects them to attain. I am sure internally he gives weighting to the fact it was a young squad. He's trying to create a no excuses culture, which I think is a good thing.

Wane played five lads from the U19s in his squad v HKR.

Five/Six from his first team 17.

The rest he's to find out whether they stay at the club or go out on loan or dual reg.

He knows his first 17 and first 20.

He's giving the rest a chance to move up their respective pecking order.

On Thursday v Salford he will play more first teamers and the final trial game at Wire I'd imagine he's go with his best available or form best 17.

As for Wigan fans, we knew the squad 9am Friday morning so who was playing and who wasn't was very well known.

In answer to the OP, no he hasn't lost the plot.

I think he's plotted his way through the trial games with thought and planning.

Wane hadn't lost the plot last season .Wigan had a very a very good season finished top played some good football 2 minutes away from a grand final lost a CC semi final.Wane has lost a few players this year so he has a bit of building to do if he has a season like last year it will be well done Wane,who knows he may win the lot!

I guess the early days are difficult as you'll have some lads who played play-off and representative rugby or had operations/treatment in the close season so will be at a different stage of pre-season to those lads who may not have played since September and are itching for a game.

Good chance to mix it up a bit for me look at fringe players and those graduating from the first team. From a fans point of view, I don't think anyone was under any illusions as to what team was being put out at Leigh.

Anyone concerned about a coach the calibre of Wane at this stage is a clown or a troll, delete as you see fit.

I understand what you are saying, and I used to have an issue at Warrington where our youth would only get in the first team on the back of an injury crisis which would mean that we would have a very weak team out and some of these lads would be on a hiding to nothing. I personally prefer seeing them play alongside some of the class players where they can learn a lot.

As for your last comment, I don't think that's fair - he is open to question just like any coach - I certainly don't agree with the OP, but he does have traits that I don't impress me (but maybe that is par for the course with a Wigan manager :P ).

It's worth pointing out though that his record in 2012 was very similar to Tony Smith's in 2011. It will be interesting to see how he goes this year, I do think he has a tough job on his hands.

Wane is Wigan through and through and the fans are ALL behind him. It's great to see so many local lads getting a real go ahead of I,ports and that we have ex players involved in Hampson and rads.

This is very disappointing news as I understand London had shown an interest.

Could have wrapped up two threads at once as well.

8/10, bravo.