Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Cameron Smith V Keiron Cunnigham

44 posts in this topic

In my opinion the best ever hooker from the NRL and the best ever from super league. If you had a choice to sign either for your team who would you pick?

Its Smith by a mile I'm afraid. Even though Cunningham was one of the players I used to love watching when he played, he doesn't compare too Smith

keith elwell...........

Jimmy Lowes.

(Actually Smith, but I'd pick Lowes ahead of Cunningham).

terry newton was on a par with any i have seen, shame he is most remembered for his temper....

Depends which Cunningham if it was the 18- 28 years old Cunningham who was powerful and also quick. Basically before his arm went I'd take him over anyone. Never the same after he dislocated his elbow but he altered his game and was still one of the best hookers in the league.

Depends what you're looking for from your hooker, Cunninham could do things on the field that Smith can only dream of and vice versa.

Cameron Smith is a quality player but I'd go for Cunningham, both players have great core skills but Cunningham had the physical presence to go alongside this. Remember these are players who are playing in the pack, are forwards and part of this involves physically dominating the other teams forwards. Cunningham had a bit more of that than Smith.

The best hooker pre-SL KEITH BRIDGES:)

The best since SL was the one who entertained the KPMG licensing auditors for the Catalan Dragons in Spain (2007)

CM

Sorry I've lost you.

The best hooker pre-SL KEITH BRIDGES:)

The best since SL was the one who entertained the KPMG licensing auditors for the Catalan Dragons in Spain (2007)

CM

Keith Bridges :lol:

Sorry I've lost you.

You arnt alone to be fair.

Keith Bridges :lol:

featherstone if i remember correctly, not a patch on elwell of phil mckenzie......not to mention graham liptrot.

Cameron Smith easy for me, I dont even think Cunningham was the best in sl and for what its worth I think roby has turned out better

featherstone if i remember correctly, not a patch on elwell of phil mckenzie......not to mention graham liptrot.

Bridges was one of the best of his time and was displaced at Hull FC by Ronnie Wileman who IMO was as good as Elwell.

featherstone if i remember correctly, not a patch on elwell of phil Mckenzie

Phil McKenzie was absolute quality, he was playing the modern day hooking role 10 years before anyone else. We had him in the twilight of his career but everything about him was sheer class. His wasn't as quick as in his Widnes prime but his quickness of thought set him apart as a truly intelligent player.

Of the 2 in the thread title Smith has the best all round game by far and would my choice. Cunningham was brilliant at what he did but can't match Smith for being a more complete player.

FWIW I think Buderus in his prime at Newcastle was on a par with either of them.

Phil McKenzie was absolute quality, he was playing the modern day hooking role 10 years before anyone else. We had him in the twilight of his career but everything about him was sheer class. His wasn't as quick as in his Widnes prime but his quickness of thought set him apart as a truly intelligent player.

Of the 2 in the thread title Smith has the best all round game by far and would my choice. Cunningham was brilliant at what he did but can't match Smith for being a more complete player.

FWIW I think Buderus in his prime at Newcastle was on a par with either of them.

How about Benny Elias - ideally with a picture of blood pouring from his head while cuddling his mum at the end of a brutal Origin game v Queensland - as better than them all?

Benny Elias, yep best hooker for me. Superb, wonderful and tireless player.

Benny Elias was a great hooker, always busy and in the thick of the action.

Smith over Cunningham for me. Sadly Keiron failed to show his credentials at international level. Smith has done it in the NRL, Origin and at international level. And I'm not one of those that believes that all things Oz are wonderful!

Cam Smith, he will probably go down as the best ever Hooker in the NRL.

Great Captain, controls and reads the game well, has good distribution.

Great tackler with a high rate per game, times his runs from Dummy half smarter than most and kicks both tactically and for Goal.

Pretty complete Hooker and Captain at all levels of the game and has been regarded in the top 3-4 players in the game by most good judges for many years.