Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

Cameron Smith V Keiron Cunnigham

44 posts in this topic

Kevin Sinfield has played at hooker...

he couldn't play truant

he couldn't play truant

plays a good role as the captain of a super league grand final winning team though!!!

Cam Smith, he will probably go down as the best ever Hooker in the NRL.

Great Captain, controls and reads the game well, has good distribution.

Great tackler with a high rate per game, times his runs from Dummy half smarter than most and kicks both tactically and for Goal.

Pretty complete Hooker and Captain at all levels of the game and has been regarded in the top 3-4 players in the game by most good judges for many years.

Apart from the 3-4 comment, I agree. It has to be the top 1-2 - he's the best player I've ever seen.

Apart from the 3-4 comment, I agree. It has to be the top 1-2 - he's the best player I've ever seen.

I agree with this sentiment. Apparantly Sir Kev is better though.

I agree with this sentiment. Apparantly Sir Kev is better though.

This year,voted for by a panel of judges,yes.

no time for this voting malarky, just look at this government

Stevo was as good as anyone I have seen, done it in both comps and at international level.

Stevo was as good as anyone I have seen, done it in both comps and at international level.

Which is a good point!

Its often stated that a good player cant be seen as great until he's proved himself in the NRL but what about the other way around?

Ther've been plenty of top class NRL players whove died on their ***** in SL only to return to Aus and play NRL or even rep football again.

judges of what though?

certainly not the best RL player in the world,if you could choose any 6,9 or 13 to be in your dream team worldwide,Sir Kev would struggle to get in my 3rd team.

LPL have just made the award a joke for the foreseeable future

judges of what though?

certainly not the best RL player in the world,if you could choose any 6,9 or 13 to be in your dream team worldwide,Sir Kev would struggle to get in my 3rd team.

LPL have just made the award a joke for the foreseeable future

It's been done on another thread,he won,we move on.

It's been done on another thread,he won,we move on.

Its been done to death.

Sinfield was voted as the Golden Boot by the anonymous staff of a British Rugby League magazine that can not be named as they may be vilified on social media sites.

Or

Even worse than that the names can not be posted as there was no Panel, just the Staff of the Magazine.

Its all be done to death, the Golden Boot award is a dead event that will have as much credibility as the Exiles Match or the WCC in the future.

Its hard to pick the best 5 in the world though in the past few years.

Until recently Lockyer was in there

Thurston is always around the Mark.

Then you have

Slater

Inglis

Cronk

Gallen

From the Uk

Burgess

Tomkins

Graham

Top five players is always hard to measure from different positions and what their role is at Club and Country.

Back on topic, while Smith is a truly great player and for what its worth I voted for him as the Golden Boot winner this year. I would take Cunningham, I think people forget very quickly how good a player is after they retire.

One thing that sticks in my mind is from a game about 3 years ago at our place. KC started on the bench with Roby starting. We had a blinding start and were something like 22-0 up in about 27 minutes. They then brought KC on and took Roby off and literally Saints were a different team, he made a half break and pass that lead to a 40m try with his 2nd touch. In the next set he organised a great drive and got a repeat set with a lovely kick into the in goal. They scored off the back of it. In the end we hung on winning the game only after the ref blew for a forward pass after the hooter went as Saints were going in to score. This was his penultimate season it was obvious the guy couldn't play the full 80 anymore due to injury age etc. But what a reminder of his abillity!

Something else to remember is the sheer physcality (bad spelling I know) of his defence. He really did hit hard when he was younger and boy did someone know it. This is something Smith can never do.

One of the earlier posters said it very well, they both have great plus points and in many ways they are both great players. Maybe from a team point of view Smith may be the one to pick. But even though this is a team game there is nothing more exciting than indivual players and to that end KC could do things on his own to win a game that I have not seen any other hooker do in my lifetime.

But KC barely played a game against the top International sides.

He had one outstanding game

He could not play because he had problems with drugs or something

He could not play because he had the runs or an ingrowing toe nail.

He FAILED in a career that went for over a decade against top International teams.

That is a fact, and it diminishes his career.

Agree completely.

Cunningham was a fine running dummy half and devastating near the line but Smith has a much better all round game, deception, game control, kicking, technique and is now improving his running game. If I were playing Swinton in the cup Id pick Cunningham, If I was playing any sort of game involving international class players he'd have to run the water for Smith.

Just to add to that I remember a game at the KC (funnily enough) against Australia where KC didnt want to know. He went off and Micky Higham came on and ripped them up. At the time Australia didnt deal too well will running dummy halves like Roby in 2006. I think that day said a lot about KC's quality at the highest level.

You know, it is permissible to praise one player without denigrating another one. Even on the internet!

Two superb hookers, but quite different in what they brought to the game. Smith is the better all-rounder, though (IMO).

Sinfield n Smith have a lot of similaritys IMO

Great Leaders

Top Professionals

Kicking Skills

Winners

I also think when Sinfield plays hooker he plays similar to Smith n can control the game from the ruck