Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

southernsofty

Broncos home

77 posts in this topic

Woo Hoo.. I have my Broncos Season ticket complete with:

• Last years free pen..
  • Last years small badge
  • A plastic wallet with ideterminate use
  • Mini fixture list
  • and a different car sticker - Perhaps this time it will stick to the back oif my Ford KA...

That's enough positivity for this post. The thing that should concern those with the interests of Rugby League in the Capital at heart is my season ticket book number which is 503 places higher than last year. The letter with my ST booklet gave my Book number (separate from my ST number) as a figure under 200. Considering I did not renew until October last year and the renewal deadline has been extended at the cheaper price right up to the start of the season you do not have to be Sherlock to work out season ticket sales are not going well.

I wonder when the 2 for 1 cheap / free ticket offers are coming out ?

Its a sign of the febrile atmosphere surrounding the club when I add a mischevious paragraph about a move to Millwall based on an out of left field comment from a last of the summer wine lookalike at our only fan forum last year. Everyone takes it as gospel. Maybe it is as we are posting about the London Broncos here but for the record David Hughes response to this was was "No I am a Charlton fan". For those not versed in minor soccer rivalries the two SE london clubs fans do not get on.

Back to League, you have to wonder about the club's determination to muddy thev waters.

We have the Warrington win last year - a banquet for the starving, competely overshadowed by David Hughes using Mike Stevenson as Agent Provocateur on SKY to announce the club will definately move to Gillingham / Orient. Undermining his own CE in the process and overshadowing what occurred on the field.

Then following the reaction to this, before a ball is kicked or pass thrown, we get Ian Ramsdale's latest scoop in Forty-20 in which Gus basically writes off the season off the field at the Stoop. Great marketing - Come watch us in West London cos next year we will be in East London. Again northerners, this is like Doctor Koukash moving Salford from Barton to Belle Vue. It is having an effect allright, my Season Ticket number proves it..

Fans seem to be very uncritical towards David Hughes heaping criticism on Gus Mackay. But David signs off everything at the club from the move down to Rob Powell's tenure as coach. For sure, the man's heart is in the right place and he has indeed spent an eye watering amount of money on the club. But as consumers who buy the product, we are right to complain about the shoddy goods that have been on offer these past few years. To imply that somehow our chairman and benefactor has not approved the statements of his CE is like saying Comrade Kim Jong-Un knows nothing about what goes on in North Korea.

The sad thing is there is a lor on the field to feel chipper about as a Broncos fan as with Tony Rea you are assured a certain level of performance even though Sniffer can only take the club so far. I did not go to the HAC for the Skolars friendly for the frst time in years, come 3.00pm that day I thought I would have pangs of regret but I felt curiously indifferent towards the whole thing. It seems that many others now feel the same too....

It will be the death note Leyton Orient is not the answer, Gillingham is a dump its more like an old pit town in Yorkshire full of charity and kebab shops and retards.The market is in West London however the club are clueless i suggest you go to RL fans and look at some of the excellent suggestions made by a couple of fans as to marketing ideas for the club.CM

The market is certainly not in the area around the Stoop though. Its union through and through and is now utterly saturated. Its also tricky to get toin general. Better to go where you might get at least a LOCAL fanbase.

The market is certainly not in the area around the Stoop though. Its union through and through and is now utterly saturated. Its also tricky to get toin general. Better to go where you might get at least a LOCAL fanbase.

Its not tricky to get to in any way. Its 20 mins from Waterloo. Our fanbase is from all over the place though so being in Orient wont cause any damage imo.

Gillingham is a dump its more like an old pit town in Yorkshire full of charity and kebab shops and retards.

Perhaps you have been away from the UK a bit too long. We choose not to categorise people in such a way these days.

See you at the GB.

You have 24 hours to take this comment off the board:)

Says the 'man' who just labelled the people of Gillingham 'retards'.

The council and local media would back them to the hilt in MK, would get a great stadium and no doubt a great deal. Wont happen though, the existing fanbase wont follow and i think the DH sees it as too far from London (despite being 30 mins by train from Euston). Shame really, great transport links and on the M1 so good for the northerners.

Northampton RU play games in MK and draw great crowds, i believe Saracens also brought a home game to MK against Northampton.

Is that a 30 mins train journey from Euston to MK station or 30 mins from Euston to the ground? Twickenham may be 20ish mins from Waterloo but the Stoop is another 10-15mins walk on top. How far is the ground from MK station?

Is that a 30 mins train journey from Euston to MK station or 30 mins from Euston to the ground? Twickenham may be 20ish mins from Waterloo but the Stoop is another 10-15mins walk on top. How far is the ground from MK station?

Anither 2.5 miles ish so would be a bus or taxi ride. Not gonna happen though.

I think Milton Keynes is a decent shout, not too far away from london and a decent catchment area.

I suppose you also have to consider that the boundaries of london are growing all the time, due to transport links, urban sprawl etc. Alot of londoners have moved out to places like Oxford, Reading, Kent, Milton Keynes, Essex and commute into work from these areas. So it would be worth considering a move to one of these places. What is key and has been highlighted in the Salford case is that the Broncos need to move somewhere which has the potential for them to develop revenue streams and build links with commercial partners. Not just to become tenants, if your a tenant should the landlord change its business model as has been the case with Quins it can leave you in a sticky scenario, perhaps there is an argument that we should follow Salfords lead and proactively look for a new invester owner to facilitate such a stance or strategy?

If anyone thinks Gillingham or MK is the answer, God knows what kind of deluded question they're asking.

If anyone thinks Gillingham or MK is the answer, God knows what kind of deluded question they're asking.

It depends if you want a stable south east club or a London club at any cost. Its not deluded but opinions differ on what the priority is. Im not sure either way.

Gillingham is a dump its more like an old pit town in Yorkshire full of charity and kebab shops and retards.

I am always delighted to learn something new every day.

Today I learned that CANETMAN is from Gillingham.

Fastest service from Euston to Bletchley (nearest station to MK Dons stadium) is 36mins.

Twickenham may be 20ish mins from Waterloo but the Stoop is another 10-15mins walk on top. How far is the ground from MK station?

Plus, the trains are not every few minutes like the tube so you have to add on margin of at least 15mins

Plus Sunday trains run less often

Plus you spend 10 mins changing from the tube to train at Waterloo as it is huge

Plus Waterloo is not THAT central

Plus, the trains are not every few minutes like the tube so you have to add on margin of at least 15mins

Plus you spend 10 mins changing from the tube to train at Waterloo as it is huge

Overall you're pretty impressed then!

Question is: where is the best place for a professional RL side in the south east to set up shop?

There are currently 5 'London' clubs in the Aviva Premiership (in a league of 12). Of those 5, 3 have had to move outside of the M25 and do not look like they will move back inside it any time soon, 1 of them gets decent crowds at Wembley (£10 tickets) and is moving into an athletics stadium with a 10k capacity. Only 1 pro RU club is thriving in London, Quins which is the most Establishment of all the RU clubs in England. All of which to me says, there is limited demand for indigenous professional club rugby (ie long established RU) within the M25, let alone a 'foreign' species of the sport.

Milton Keynes seems to have an appetite for rugby, there are RL connections in the area and it is a very decent facility. Probably a better bet than either Orient or Gillingham.

Here is a question that should be asked before contemplating a move to anywhere

What does London Broncos stand for and who does the club represent ?

If you play for Wigan you play for arguably the most easilty recognised Rugby League name worldwide and you represent a tradition at that club.

If you play for Castleford, the club with the most "local" (i.e come from within 10 miles of the ground)fanbase in the game, you probably grew up there and as a Cas Tiger you represent a community and a club which puts a nondescript northern town on the sporting map.

And so on within the game..

But what does London stand for ?

It seems a simple question without a simple answer.

London as many have pointed out is a big place. Leyton Orient represents an East End of London Club not a club with which people in the North, West or South would associate with even if you changed the name to London Orient.

London Broncos are in West London, where the club originated as Fulham, it has spent the majority of its years as a West London Club like it or not but has it ever been defined what the club stands for and who it represents.

In the old days it was a largely antipodean club and that was the main accusation pointed at it from the North but it had a sense of unity at least amongst the players. As the antipodean influence has waned the club seems unsure of its identity, and for six years had someone else's identity as Harlequins and now seems confused as to what it is and who it wants to attract.

Out of season soccer fans on a jolly

Local residents of Whitton & Twickenham (or Tower Hamlets and Banglatown)

Out of season Rugby Union fans

The transient Antipodean community

Expat Northerners seeking a Rugby League Fix

Anybody who wants a free ticket

Resolve this question and IMO you are a step closer to deciding where the club should go.

anyone fancy a speculation as to where the Bradford game will be?

Waterloo is not huge, and it is central. Twickenham is very easy to get to from central London or the motorway. Sunday trains have on occasion been a slight problem. Anyway we're leaving the Stoop so we'll have a whole new stadium for RL fans in London to invent reasons to not make any effort to get to.

Its a miracle that England RU get any spectators to their national stadium its so hard to get to. I mean on top of a mountain in Cornwall really isnt London.

Gillingham or Leyton.

All of which to me says, there is limited demand for indigenous professional club rugby (ie long established RU) within the M25, let alone a 'foreign' species of the sport.

It tells me that there is a shortage of suitable stadiums in London.

Announced today that the London Grand Prix will be at the Olympic Stadium. Sure the Broncos will getva good deal at Crystal Palace.