Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longboard

Tour de France 2014 via Yorkshire

47 posts in this topic

That's a popular climb with local and visiting cyclists. The road is a good old climb but it is not very steep. I've found that thirst and needing to drink every few minutes is more of an issue for me cycling up it than tiredness.

Neither has ever been an issue for me. Mind you, my bike does have 130bhp. :lol:

I see stage 2 passes through Holmfirth. I assume they will respect local traditions, and tackle the hilly roads, not on fancy-dan pushbikes, but in tin baths with wheels.

Neither has ever been an issue for me. Mind you, my bike does have 130bhp. :lol:

That's the same bhp as my mother in law's mouth.

That's the same bhp as my mother in law's mouth.

You have a low powered mother in law then.

http://www.britishcy...ire-stage_2.jpgWe live 5 mins walk from the route - so excited for Sunday 6th July 2014 B) B)

Timtum always said if you get chance to come over, but now they're coming to us Whayhey!!

We have room for 16 motorhomes at the back of us :D

Kerching££££££££££££££££

Kerching££££££££££££££££

If only :lol:

seriously giddy already

Who-hooo! Accomodation in Holmfirth for those days in 2014 already sorted. See You all up Holme Moss!

Excellent. We have a friend in Harrogate and Huddersfield is close enough to ride from home. Really looking forward to it.

I can definitely imagine you as one of those people who turn up to the TdF in full kit on your bike, apparently on the off-chance one of the teams is going to sub you in.

You have a low powered mother in law then.

Powered enough; maybe too much.

I can definitely imagine you as one of those people who turn up to the TdF in full kit on your bike, apparently on the off-chance one of the teams is going to sub you in.

Yeah, I wear my Gloucester shirt to games in the hope that Nigel Davies will spot me in the crowd and sub me on.

The race organisers are touring the course today .... they won't get much of a clue because everything is under snow.

http://www.britishcy...ire-stage_2.jpgWe live 5 mins walk from the route - so excited for Sunday 6th July 2014 B) B)

Timtum always said if you get chance to come over, but now they're coming to us Whayhey!!

I will be there in my winnebago Citroen Berlingo.

It still hasn't come closer than a ten minute drive from me in the ten years I've had this gaff.

The race organisers are touring the course today .... they won't get much of a clue because everything is under snow.

I did a reccy of the Peckett Well to Haworth section for them at 7.15 this morning. It's all perfectly clear. :D

I did a reccy of the Peckett Well to Haworth section for them at 7.15 this morning. It's all perfectly clear. :D

Hebden Bridge to Blackstone Edge clear at 7.30. A tad parky though.

Hebden Bridge to Blackstone Edge clear at 7.30. A tad parky though.

Was getting white on the reverse journey at 4.30. Not heavy snow but blowing all over the place as usual, so the roads are covering. It's -3c here and I'd say a fairly strong wind chill too.

I see stage 2 passes through Holmfirth. I assume they will respect local traditions, and tackle the hilly roads, not on fancy-dan pushbikes, but in tin baths with wheels.

As far as the locals are concerned, a fancy-dan pushbike is one with both wheels the same size.

Here's a 10min video done by Halifax courier which shows part of Stage 2 from Oxenhope Moor up to Ainley Top roundabout on the M62 border of Huddersfield - was hoping they went further so I could spot our bit - but these Yorkshire folk are very parochial

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/lifestyle/lifestyle-leisure-and-features/video-tour-de-france-2014-travel-the-calderdale-leg-in-10-minutes-1-5333528?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I will be there in my winnebago Citroen Berlingo.

It still hasn't come closer than a ten minute drive from me in the ten years I've had this gaff.

No!!!!!!!!!! Not a Berlingo!!!!! Tell us it ain't so!!!! You aren't a vegetarian as well?

Relax John.....

Its a little white van, purchased for verisimilitude. You can't live in a french rural community without owning a little white van.

It is of course regularly chez le mecano.

Phew,that's ok then! In the early 1970s in Geneva I had the "pleasure" of driving a Renault 4 van with a twist and thrust gearlever that projected from the dash. The roof section above the rear door hinged upwards to give extra clearance. Onr day, on site, i reached almost 80 km\hour.

Seems from that to be going across the Woodhead pass, down through Stocksbridge, then on a little loop around some of the grimmest bits of Sheffield - that'll show the best of Yorkshire to the World :lol:

Have been to a few cycling events with my brother, and we've already earmarked that weekend to go and visit the parents and take in the Tour :D Don't think I ever imagined that I'd see the Tour in Sheffield in my lifetime. I did once get taken to see the Milk Race pass through Sheffield in the 1980s though. I have hazy memories of watching it go down the street that Atkinson's is on, at the back of the Moor. I may have imagined this, though.