Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boxhead

RFL

85 posts in this topic

Is the game in good hands?

Are the people at the top in "Red Hall" the best available?

I looked at the site and its not very impressive.

Nothing that is on that site inspires me that the game is in the best hands possible.

This is the DNA / Values.

The vision of the RFL is:

To be recognised throughout the world as a leading Governing Body of sport.

The mission of the RFL is:

The RFL is committed to managing, developing and promoting Rugby League and providing excellent, high quality services for the whole Rugby League family.

And finally, the four strategic aims of the RFL are:

a) To create the best elite level Rugby League competition(s) in the world

B) To create the best, viable and competitive semi-professional competition possible

c) To maximise the numbers engaged in our sport and the enjoyment derived from participation in Rugby League

d) To be successful internationally on a sustainable basis at all levels

This is the Board of Directors (not sure who is who other than Nigel as they did not bother to state who is in the Photo)

http://www.therfl.co...pg&maxwidth=479

That is the "A Team" in 2013.

God help us.

By contrast here is the ARLC and its objects (equally vague I would say)

The primary objects of the Company are to:

(a). be the single controlling body and administrator of the Game;

(
B)
foster, develop, extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels and generally to act in the best interests of the Game;

© liaise with and delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the States and Territories of Australia, including the NSWRL and QRL;

(d) organise and conduct all State of Origin and Australian Representative Games;

(e) organise, conduct and foster the NRL Competition;

(g) liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world;

(h) promote and encourage either directly or indirectly the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in the community and, in particular, the Rugby League community;

(i) promote and encourage either directly or indirectly sport and

recreation, particularly Rugby League football, in the interests of the social welfare of young persons.

The SL clubs shouldn't have a say what so ever in what happens in our sport IMO. The RFL should grow a pair and sort our game out from top to bottom and don't give a rats about what the SL clubs say or any other club for that matter. IMO it's the SL clubs dictating that as caused all these problems in the first place.

Like it or not SL clubs do a great deal for the sport, they should have a significant say in how the professional section of the sport is shaped and run. RFL should oversee that but place greater emphasis on the rep side of the game and grass roots rugby league along with fostering better relationships with BARLA (the latter they seem have no will to do) .

By contrast here is the ARLC and its objects (equally vague I would say)

The primary objects of the Company are to:

(a). be the single controlling body and administrator of the Game;

(
B)
foster, develop, extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels and generally to act in the best interests of the Game;

© liaise with and delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the States and Territories of Australia, including the NSWRL and QRL;

(d) organise and conduct all State of Origin and Australian Representative Games;

(e) organise, conduct and foster the NRL Competition;

(g) liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world;

(h) promote and encourage either directly or indirectly the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in the community and, in particular, the Rugby League community;

(i) promote and encourage either directly or indirectly sport and

recreation, particularly Rugby League football, in the interests of the social welfare of young persons.

Here's a photo of them: commissioners.jpg

The interesting thing is that I've heard people involved in other sports rating the RFL very highly. They have a very tough job to do, with limited resources and having to deal with our national media whose attitude ranges from hostile to indifferent.

They're not perfect. They make mistakes. But a lot of the constant criticism that's aimed at them from fans is based on assumption and entrenched opinion. Or posting a photograph of them, as if that will illustrate their competence or lack thereof.

Given what the RFL has achieved in recent years you would have to say they are one of the best sporting governing bodies in in UK.

I've seen posts by Shrek and others recently that have suggested, tentatively, that it may not have been as bad a deal as seems to have become common belief.

I think your giving me unfair credit for rational posting there, its mistaken identity! But using the Stobart deal as a case in point, I suspect given the sums involved in the alternative it was worth a punt, I was never a fan of the message they choose to deliver on the trucks if I'm honest, but nothing ventured and nothing gained and all that.

The SL clubs shouldn't have a say what so ever in what happens in our sport IMO. The RFL should grow a pair and sort our game out from top to bottom and don't give a rats about what the SL clubs say or any other club for that matter. IMO it's the SL clubs dictating that as caused all these problems in the first place.

How would "growiing a pair" help? Take to much from the Super League clubs and they'll walk away taking there TV deal with them, fragmenting the game further and leaving them with no obligations to go in for P&R or Promotion via licencing. Can only see more problems, as the governing body they are walking a tight rope, I think they get it right more than they get it wrong.

Here's a photo of them: commissioners.jpg

That photograph is appalling. It breaks more or less every rule as to what a corporate photo should look like. Whoever took it wants transporting for life...along with the subjects.

I am Australian as you may or not know. I can see this great game becoming like the AFL in 10 years time.

How is that a bad thing?

Sadly SOO has been the benchmark for many years.

Why sadly SOO has been instrumental in showcasing RL and is a novelty in the those attending the matches are genuinely interested in the result.

England has fell away so badly and developed the game in England, Wales and France so poorly that the game is at a crossroads.

It is not the responsibility of the RFL to develop Wales and France, they have their own national governing bodies. Both France and Wales are in amuch better position than they were 10 years ago. Compare that with what the ARL has done for NZ and PNG. Neither has developed much.

If questions are not asked the game in England will wither on the Vine.

Which questions?

I could list many things that have made the game in England what it is today and what it will be in a few years time.

Okay, go ahead.

You do not think that those Directors at the RFL have a job to do and turn it around?

I am a simple salesman in a very small industry that turns around $30 million a year, they can do better than they have in my opinion.

Turn exactly what around? Arguably everybody can do better. The problem is you have not been specific or even identified the problem areas.

Doctor Koukash has spoken highly of the RFL in the takeover talks, I assume they were professional and presented a sport a multi millionaire wants to be involved in.

The web site needs a redesign for the new generation of fan though.

Snip

Bravo JB. A great post.

(I assume that kind of editing of the quoted post, to keep the board cleaner, is OK?)

That's so very true. It was a huge mistake to give the first and subsequent Sky contracts to SL and not to the RFL.

It neutered the RFL financially and left the SL with a huge club to browbeat the RFL with in that they were in sole control of the biggest pot of money coming into the sport.

The SL, of course, do what is best for SL and the rest of the game, Chanpionships, amateurs, internationals, anybody not SL, gets left out of plans for the future.

The RFL are trying to represent the whole game but are hamstrung because SL control the money.

Bravo JB. A great post.

(I assume that kind of editing of the quoted post, to keep the board cleaner, is OK?)

Post reported to the Mods.

(Thanks MrP)

The interesting thing is that I've heard people involved in other sports rating the RFL very highly. They have a very tough job to do, with limited resources and having to deal with our national media whose attitude ranges from hostile to indifferent.

They're not perfect. They make mistakes. But a lot of the constant criticism that's aimed at them from fans is based on assumption and entrenched opinion. .

I agree 100%. However, there are some decisions made by the RFL that are/have been outrageous and people still retain their jobs!

super leagues " official" bingo partner....:lol:

i am now worried the powers that be are turning our sport into a joke

bingo as an industry has shown massive growth in the last ten years, no shame involved, it's a game enjoyed by millions, and I'm assuming this the first example in the multi sponsor approach. I personally approve, and after that is what's important ;)

Posted · Hidden by John Drake, January 19, 2013 - No reason given

You're a cockend.

see here The game is thought to have begun in Italy in the 1500s. Bingo is believed to have migrated to France, Great Britain, and other parts of Europe in the 1700s.[ Players mark off numbers on a ticket as they are randomly called out, in order to achieve a winning combination. Bingo originates from the Italian lottery, Il Gioco del Lotto d'Italia. From Italy, the game spread to France and was known as Le Lotto, played by the French aristocracy. Tombola was used in nineteenth-century Germany as an educational tool to teach children multiplication tables, spelling, and even history.

The SL, of course, do what is best for SL and the rest of the game, Chanpionships, amateurs, internationals, anybody not SL, gets left out of plans for the future.

Hardly a fair representation. Of course, if the of the game did not agree with what was being done, they could always try win the argument or maybe do something about it themselves. No, I rather think rest of the game is quite happy to bask in the reflected glory of SuperLeague..or might even strive to join,

Nigel Wood and Ralph Rimmer have had enough time to show that they are the right people to lead our game in to a positive future. For me they are not the right people. I see no clear vision of where the game, both at Pro Level and Grassroots, aims to go under Wood and Rimmer and how exactly its going to get there. The game is at a crossroads right now and needs a strong leadership from the RFL. The administration of the game is simply not good enough. Wood seems to think all is well in the game or thats how his spin articles come across.

The Sponsorship is tough and I dont think the RFL can be completely blamed for not having Sponsors on board. The financial world is in a mess and the future bleak. So I wont criticize them for that. The poor Media presence doesnt help and neither does the way SL clubs like Bradford, Crusaders and Salford have managed to give a very negative picture of SL and the game. The negative publicity recently about SL clubs cutting academy teams and teams claiming they are struggling, if not deep in debt, hardly helps the RFL find a Sponsor willing to pay out millions.The RFL needs to administer the game way better than it does. Good bye Wood and Rimmer lets get some new people in. Maybe somebody like Noble, Sculthorpe etc who have good contacts and understanding of both Pro and Grassroots level should be involved alongside a Sports administrator like Lewis, who brought lots of money and sponsors in to the game and certainly helped the game in Europe. Lets have a review of all areas of the game and have a framework in place for ALL areas of the game and have a plan of what we want for the next 5-10 years and how we will achieve it.

"I see no clear vision of where the game, both at Pro Level and Grassroots, aims to go under Wood and Rimmer and how exactly its going to get there" Serious question,:Why do you need to know? the season has not yet begun. We know the fixtures, we know the rules, we know the broadcasters, we know about the World Cup. What else is there to know that will make any difference to the fans? ? How do we know that the clubs do not have enough information to take them through to the next licence?

Nigel Wood and Ralph Rimmer have had enough time to show that they are the right people to lead our game in to a positive future. For me they are not the right people. I see no clear vision of where the game, both at Pro Level and Grassroots, aims to go under Wood and Rimmer and how exactly its going to get there. The game is at a crossroads right now and needs a strong leadership from the RFL. The administration of the game is simply not good enough. Wood seems to think all is well in the game or thats how his spin articles come across.

The Sponsorship is tough and I dont think the RFL can be completely blamed for not having Sponsors on board. The financial world is in a mess and the future bleak. So I wont criticize them for that. The poor Media presence doesnt help and neither does the way SL clubs like Bradford, Crusaders and Salford have managed to give a very negative picture of SL and the game. The negative publicity recently about SL clubs cutting academy teams and teams claiming they are struggling, if not deep in debt, hardly helps the RFL find a Sponsor willing to pay out millions.The RFL needs to administer the game way better than it does. Good bye Wood and Rimmer lets get some new people in. Maybe somebody like Noble, Sculthorpe etc who have good contacts and understanding of both Pro and Grassroots level should be involved alongside a Sports administrator like Lewis, who brought lots of money and sponsors in to the game and certainly helped the game in Europe. Lets have a review of all areas of the game and have a framework in place for ALL areas of the game and have a plan of what we want for the next 5-10 years and how we will achieve it.

That's all so uncessary if we can just get a ten team ( 8 UK based ) SL to replace all that other risky stuff.

Seriously though it is time there was a master plan of where the RFL sees the game going in the next few years, including, for sure, the junior game to address the shortage of players for the senior game.

Even if such a plan has to be altered to meet circumstances, at least, there is an original template from which the projected future course of the game can be plotted. Whci begs the question of who could write or implement such a plan and why is it taking so long to replace Richard Lewis.

"I see no clear vision of where the game, both at Pro Level and Grassroots, aims to go under Wood and Rimmer and how exactly its going to get there" Serious question,:Why do you need to know? the season has not yet begun. We know the fixtures, we know the rules, we know the broadcasters, we know about the World Cup. What else is there to know that will make any difference to the fans? ? How do we know that the clubs do not have enough information to take them through to the next licence?

We, the fans, do not nessarily have to know but I see no reason why future plans for the sport need to be kept secret ( except for complicated negotiations with TV companies, sponsors etc ).

The way you phrase that you seem to be talking about plans for this next season. I thnk, though, what is being discussed are broad plans for the objectives of the league for the game going forward 5 or even 10 years into the future.