Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Super League just got Foxy

101 posts in this topic

Hopefully the first of a few announcements over the next few weeks. At the moment the RFL can't afford to be too fussy, so to gain someone who is a market leader and sell them a brand new sponsorship category (as mentioned before, we've never had an official bingo partner), is quite a positive move.

bingo originated in east London. fact. :)

I'd like to see you back that up.

It's Italian.

I'd like to see you back that up.
To be perfectly honest i haven't a clue where its from, nor am i really bothered.

So.... what does an official bingo partner do?

Also, they are a subsidery of Bwin, so its not a small time ‘Browns Bingo of Bridlington‘.

More sponsors to come?

So.... what does an official bingo partner do?

Also, they are a subsidery of Bwin, so its not a small time ‘Browns Bingo of Bridlington‘.

More sponsors to come?

I wonder if they will release the Stevo Bingo cards? :D

The problem isn't with this particular deal, it is more that it serves to highlight the problem of how others perceive the game. Bwin are shrewd operators and will have done their research into target audience reach through this deal. The issue with that is it lumps the game in with the 'Jeremy Kyle' type market which in turn will create a negative image to proper blue chip companies. I'm not being critical of the Foxy Bingo deal but at the same time we can't expect to attract top sponsors if we accept this kind of deal. We can't have it both ways because, for example, a company like Jaguar Land Rover would not wish to associate themselves alongside Foxy Bingo. If the strategy is to take us downmarket because its easier to get sponsors then that's fine and let's crack on with it, but forget about attracting any of the kind of marquee brands that would portray a better image. The thing is that we can't moan later about us being classed as a working class, sink estate sport if our sponsors reflect that as our demographic though I'm sure many of you will get on your high horses the next time somebody writes something portraying the game in a negative light.

"it lumps the game in with the 'Jeremy Kyle' type market" What? any more than say having Oldham in SuperLeague? That really would bring Jeremy Kyle into disrepute!

thats my whole issue with the deal.....the jeremy kyle factor

I'm no expert on bingo, that I'm the first to admit, but wouldn't that be an issue with any bingo company?

its ok john...you can leave this debate now as it's clearly way above you...

This isn't a debate,.Mr Chuckles, It's just an opportunity for the anti-everything-RFL brigade to parade their bigotry to the world.

eh?

you just said the deal was embarrassing, the Kyle thing was late to the argument. If Kyle was your main concern why didn't you mention that straight away? To quote

"super leagues " official" bingo partner....

i am now worried the powers that be are turning our sport into a joke "

let me try and clear up my stance..

had we signed up with mecca bingo,i can see physical,promotional value in that..we could have had physical events,meet and greets at bingo halls,proper face to face promotion of our sport and try and get the people we meet at the bingo to come and watch RL if they don't already..

you ain't gonna get that from someone sat on their ###### playing bingo on a computer screen who are more likely just gonna shut down any "pop up" advertising our sport!!

had we signed up with mecca bingo,i can see physical,promotional value in that..we could have had physical events,meet and greets at bingo halls,proper face to face promotion of our sport and try and get the people we meet at the bingo to come and watch RL if they don't already..

you ain't gonna get that from someone sat on their ###### playing bingo on a computer screen who are more likely just gonna shut down any "pop up" advertising our sport!!

so your main problem isn't the Kyle factor?

you just said the deal was embarrassing, the Kyle thing was late to the argument. If Kyle was your main concern why didn't you mention that straight away? To quote

"super leagues " official" bingo partner....

i am now worried the powers that be are turning our sport into a joke "

sorry i was referring to the fact they are closely linked to jeremy kyle..

im all for getting as many sponsors are possible....as long as they "fit"

"it lumps the game in with the 'Jeremy Kyle' type market" What? any more than say having Oldham in SuperLeague? That really would bring Jeremy Kyle into disrepute!

You can be as snide and obtuse as you like, in your usual style, it doesn't bother me one bit. The fact is that Foxy Bingo pay more than £1m per year to sponsor the Jeremy Kyle show. Why do you think that is ? They'd hardly do so if they didn't think that it fitted their demographic target. By implication SL is also something they see as attracting the people they wish to reach.

Like I said, which you chose to ignore, I'm not having a go at the Foxy Bingo deal. It wouldn't bother me if our partners were Greggs, Primark, Poundland and Blue WKD if that's the most lucrative option, or a return to beer and fags companies. But by going for lowbrow sponsors there is a consequence of portraying the sport as something that has an average demographic that buys those products regularly. Again that is absolutely fine so long as you accept that you can forget about blue chip companies. There is an implication that if you target low end sponsors then you are saying your product is low end too otherwise why the association ? Most marketing people will tell you that brand perception is crucial.

But by going for lowbrow sponsors there is a consequence of portraying the sport as something that has an average demographic that buys those products regularly. Again that is absolutely fine so long as you accept that you can forget about blue chip companies. There is an implication that if you target low end sponsors then you are saying your product is low end too otherwise why the association ? Most marketing people will tell you that brand perception is crucial.

You assume that they have targetted 'lowbrow' products/companies. Maybe, just maybe, they are the only ones interested?

If we want blue chip sponsors with a higher demographic, the game has to work towards that. You can't just expect them to turn up. Turning down sponsorship at the moment isn't going to make us any closer to that. We need money to build towards it. We have to accept where we are and plan to where we want to go.

Some people want us to go from A to C without going through B. that isn't realistic and they have to get over that.

You assume that they have targetted 'lowbrow' products/companies. Maybe, just maybe, they are the only ones interested?

That may well be the case. But if it is then what does that say about the general perception of the sport ? In many ways us targeting them is infinitely preferable to them targeting us.

Anyone who thinks our sport is in any position to turn its nose up at a sponsorship deal because of its association with something low brow really needs to take a step back and realise how difficult it is to attract sponsors of any kind at the moment. People saying they would be happy being sponsored by cigarette or alcohol companys also must realise if they were allowed to sponsor tv shows then ones like the kyle show would be exactly what they would go for.

Surely if it's a better deal financially the RFL would have been stupid to turn it down.

Need all the help and support we can get, don't see any issues.