Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pie tries

Erm...any news on SL sponsor for 2013 ?

89 posts in this topic

Two things. When times are tough, one of the first costs businesses tend to cut back on is marketing budget.

Also timing is fairly important. Assuming the sponsor search has been ongoing since the summer and they want it to start in February, then the RFL is looking to sign up a sponsor 'in year' that is half to 3/4 way thru the current financial year when you would expect budgets to be pretty fixed/ inflexible. A big ask I would have thought, even the largest companies aren't necessarily going to have a spare million or so just sloshing around unspent in their budgets.

With hindsight, they should have probably kept on with Stobart thru to the end of 2013, thereby giving commercial more time to work with prospective title sponsors and get the sponsors marketing spend fixed well ahead of time. At the same time, I'm sure they could have done more to increase the portfolio of sponsors who could have helped increase the £'s coming in.

I can see that there may not be a title sponsor announcement until closer to April. Or there may not even be one in 2013, but they have one lined up with the budget to spend from February 2014.

Are they in active discussions with a potential title sponsor for you to mention a possible announcement in April? Also you seem optimistic that a sponsor is lined up for 2014?

Are they in active discussions with a potential title sponsor for you to mention a possible announcement in April? Also you seem optimistic that a sponsor is lined up for 2014?

I think April is only being mentioned as that's when most companies' financial year starts and the budgets get freed up

I think April is only being mentioned as that's when most companies' financial year starts and the budgets get freed up

True, on the flip side to that, some marketing departments are looking to spend money prior to the new tax year so they don't get their budget cut for not spending it.

Exactly.

True, on the flip side to that, some marketing departments are looking to spend money prior to the new tax year so they don't get their budget cut for not spending it.

Very true. But would you/ could you sign up for a multi-year sponsorship arrangement simply to ensure you get rid of all your budget for the current year? Seems a bit short term thinking to me.

Very true. But would you/ could you sign up for a multi-year sponsorship arrangement simply to ensure you get rid of all your budget for the current year? Seems a bit short term thinking to me.

True. but it wouldn't stop them getting it for a year and with an option of further years. And then see how it works. Obviously that's assuming the RFL would agree to a one year deal.

April because most organisations start their new financial year and budgets then.

Re 2014, given that negotiating deals with large £ spends can take some time to come to fruition, I can well see that a principal competition sponsor might not be ready to come on board until the 2014 season (particularly if it is an organisation new to RL which given the background of the current commercial director could well be the case). Reading between the lines of what Wood has said, I think they are likely to go the year without that anchor sponsor whilst they get the right partner on board, but will make up for it by expanding the number of secondary commercial partnerships.

It does strike me that the RFL have been a bit behind the curve on trying to broker the big deals and have been chasing it late in the day. But you have to bear in mind the well publicised financial weaknesses at Bradford, Salford, Cas and HKR will in all likelihood have a negative impact on attracting sponsorship, after all which top brand wants to be associated with a league where roughly 20% of the clubs are in difficulty.

True. but it wouldn't stop them getting it for a year and with an option of further years. And then see how it works. Obviously that's assuming the RFL would agree to a one year deal.

But if you worked along those lines, are you ever going to get decent £'s for the competitions?

I'm not convinced that the budgeting issues have caused any problems here.

There would be no issue with a company signing up and agreeing minimal payments in this financial year.

I really hope that the cancellation of the Stobart deal wasn't a slight act of rebellion once Lewis left, as tbh not having a sponsor is not great no matter how this is dressed up. Having a sponsor come on board half way through the season would look small time, and once the season kicks off I think we need to write off title sponsors for this year - if somebody wants it for 2014, then they could naturally come in as a partner mid-season until 2014.

I'm not convinced that the budgeting issues have caused any problems here.

There would be no issue with a company signing up and agreeing minimal payments in this financial year.

I really hope that the cancellation of the Stobart deal wasn't a slight act of rebellion once Lewis left, as tbh not having a sponsor is not great no matter how this is dressed up. Having a sponsor come on board half way through the season would look small time, and once the season kicks off I think we need to write off title sponsors for this year - if somebody wants it for 2014, then they could naturally come in as a partner mid-season until 2014.

Couldn't we have kept Stobart on as say official haulage partner? After all haulage has as much to do with RL as bingo probably does!

Couldn't we have kept Stobart on as say official haulage partner? After all haulage has as much to do with RL as bingo probably does!

Aye - suppose we just have to wait for this series of exciting announcements that we are getting told about, good start with XBlades, Rhino, Foxy and Tetleys (with a World Cup bonus of Marriot) but surely this isn't it.

And they would also wait 'til near the end of the financial year, to see how much they had left to dispose of. With our season starting when it does, this is a bit of a drawback.

Any decent company whose FY starts April should have more or less frozen its business plans and budgets by now.

Any decent company whose FY starts April should have more or less frozen its business plans and budgets by now.

whilst budgets may have been locked down - many marketing budgets will have flexibility in them for opportunitirs that presrnt itself.

I suspect sponsoring a RL comp just aint that attractive to most.

I've heard Ian Lenaghan bigging up the new bloke in charge of these deals - James Mercer. He said he's one of the best appointments the RFL have made. He's the man who Woods believes will deliver the highest aggregate sponsorship revenues ever before the end of 2013. As another poster has highlighted they may be not looking at a headline sponsor at all but something akin to the champions league concept. Wouldn't this be better all round to build up a portfolio of half a dozen or so companies & spread the risk. Build up a dossier.

I've heard Ian Lenaghan bigging up the new bloke in charge of these deals - James Mercer. He said he's one of the best appointments the RFL have made. He's the man who Woods believes will deliver the highest aggregate sponsorship revenues ever before the end of 2013. As another poster has highlighted they may be not be looking at a headline sponsor at all but something akin to the champions league concept. Wouldn't this be better all round to build up a portfolio of half a dozen or so companies & spread the risk. Build up a dossier.

maybe - 8 sponsors worth 200k would be worth more than a title sponsor.

My only reservation with this is that we have always had a panel of sponsors - guess we just dont know the combined value of these.

Shame the cooperative deal ended, thought they were a great fit fot RL

With multiple sponsors, it also means that if one pulls out, the sport doesn't take as much of a hit and we don't have dramas about starting a new season without a sponsor. It would be very unlikely for half a dozen companies to drop RL at exactly the same time.

With multiple sponsors, it also means that if one pulls out, the sport doesn't take as much of a hit and we don't have dramas about starting a new season without a sponsor. It would be very unlikely for half a dozen companies to drop RL at exactly the same time.

To my earlier point, do you know what is new about this strategy?

In recent years we have had:

DeWalt

Valvoline

Gillette

Irn Bru

Emirates

Co-operative

William Hill

Tissot

etc

as partners, as well as then having a title sponsor? Were they giving these sponsorships away on a cheap basis?

I've heard of a couple of partners lined up, ones a beer and one will make the league smell very nice.

Looks like the above was right! Tetley's did CC and u noticed Brut on the sleeves of match officials at the weekend!

In terms of sponsors I also heard the Heinz Big Soup Super League Update on Talk Sport today with Martin Offiah. He wasn't exactly inspiring but great to get airtime none the less!

Thought a Championship deal had been confirmed - any news on the announcement?

Looks like the above was right! Tetley's did CC and u noticed Brut on the sleeves of match officials at the weekend!
BURN THE WITCH!

Well we've still no sponsor but the world seems to keep turning. Don't get me wrong, I hope we get one but it doesn't seem that bad without one.

Well my friend it is BAD without one and outside of all the spin from the RFL regarding partners etc most SL clubs are not happy bunnies.Most have no idea of the amounts of money involved FOXY/BRUT etc and also have had to give up valuable perimeter signage space to the RFL that they could have sold (Estimated £ 300/400K over all the SL clubs)Rugby Union has a naming rights sponsor and 5/6 partners the only reason the RFL hark on about partners is their inability to find a major naming rights sponsor as one club recently said this whole mess has been caused by the STOBART freebie deal why should anyone want to pay decent money when it was given away for free last season.No doubt more spin soon:(((CM

I can well understand them being not happy but in relation to the Stobart deal, my understanding is the deal was put to a vote and the majority of clubs went for it.

Lewis did seem to lean on them a bit heavily to get it through but surely the impact on having to get subsequent sponsors on board paying cash should have been addressed? If it wasn't then the clubs have only themselves to blame in this regard, no?

I can well understand them being not happy but in relation to the Stobart deal, my understanding is the deal was put to a vote and the majority of clubs went for it.

Lewis did seem to lean on them a bit heavily to get it through but surely the impact on having to get subsequent sponsors on board paying cash should have been addressed? If it wasn't then the clubs have only themselves to blame in this regard, no?

Well the clubs that voted for it do.