Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

walter sobchak

Challenge cup semi-finals.

38 posts in this topic

Don't bother with the scrum suggestion, look back on that website for evidence. I would drop the number of substitutions allowed to 8 and wouldn't mind a short 10m if we had an end to the wrestling fest ie a policed max x seconds after momentum stopped.

its past its best but in yorkshire theres no real alternative for grounds of that size as i would think that for 2 semis we would be alking 30,000 plus crowd

Bramall lane's capacity is 32,702, just the right size even for a double header.

Bramall lane's capacity is 32,702, just the right size even for a double header.

but the pitch is quite short and i doubt the rfl would consider it although it would be a boost for rugby league in sheffield

think im right the a semi between wigan and sains back in about 91 was played at old trafford in front of a big crowd so we dont have to go back to ancient history for decent crowds for the semis .

since the advent of super league the grand final has taken over as the major prize until then it was always the cup final that was seen as the must win but now its just a midseason comp much in the catagory of the regal trophy at least until the final

I was there. 10th March 1990. Old Trafford. Wigan 20 St Helens 14, Crowd: 26,489.

I was there. 10th March 1990. Old Trafford. Wigan 20 St Helens 14, Crowd: 26,489.

I'd rather see 26,489 in a 40,000 capacity stadium(or whatever old Trafford held then) than 12,000 in a 15,000 stadium in Leigh, Doncaster or Warrington.

I think it had just been reduced from 60,000 to 44,000 following the Taylor Report. I can't say if the game was televised on BBC or not. Free-to-air televising consistently reduces paying attendances.

Now Sky have the rights to some CC ties, they are actually acknowledging the existence of the tournament, which might have some effect in the next few years.

A double header in the Midlands could be a winner.

Coventry for example is about equidistant from Lancashire, London and Yorkshire and is easy to get to on the motorway network.

The Ricoh has staged Union with good crowds. It would mean a bit of a publicity push but it might be worth a try.

With a 32000 capacity it could be about right in size too.

Coventry for example is about equidistant from Lancashire, London and Yorkshire and is easy to get to on the motorway network.

The Ricoh has staged Union with good crowds. It would mean a bit of a publicity push but it might be worth a try.

Could be a good boost for Coventry Bears' inclusion into CC1 as well.

Could be a good boost for Coventry Bears' inclusion into CC1 as well.

I would start with the double headers in Manchester/Liverpool and Sheffield/Leeds, then move to places like Coventry, Nottingham, Leicester etc.

Trouble is it's about 5 miles from the nearest railway station.

The challenge cup is a funny one. It's almost as if the clubs put all their marketing effort into selling season tickets and then the normal rounds of SL, and then don't bother with cup matches or play-offs.

I suspect it has something to do with the cost of promoting these games compared to the cash benefits individual clubs gain from them, as a result of shared/pooled gate money.

I think the best scenario is till neutral venues for the semi depending on who is competing. It's the special day for the clubs involved. They aren't generally matches that will attract lots of neutrals, or matches where fans from match 1 will stop for match 2.