Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickD

Donny

69 posts in this topic

Read the match report for Doncaster/ Wakefield and although Donny got well beat as we did against Bradford they have 2/3 injuries to key players. Donny supporters didn't seem too happy with the way their team performed today, I don't know what some people expect, would you really give an amateur side any chance against the likes of the so called top 5 in championship 1,I wouldn't think so, so why would or should you be so disappointed when your team is beaten by a Super League side. The speed is so much faster the size and strength of the players is more superior and that's without having to go to work all day before you have to go training, people seem to forget they are full time so don't have to go to work 9 to 5 or earlier for some players, it's easy to criticise, harder to do.

Well said, think people tend to forget this sometimes. Saw the game and Donny have nothing to be ashamed of. Thought last 20 mins they defended well, considering the fitness comparisons, and frustrated Wakey.

A wins a win but we made heavy weather of it. I was going to say why, on 3 occasions, didn't we take the 2 points. But I now understand, our goalkicking is woeful. Good job O Brien was playing, although I don't agree with it. Brown had a stand out game for me. Anyway onward and upward.

got to agree thought Brown was oustanding, but stupid decisions and poor handling nearly cost the game, should have had double the points , come on play the full 80 like the first half.

I suppose it was a bit disappointing after the way we played against Fax but a win is a win. I can see as we all can, room for improvement but my aspirations aren't dented, we will improve.

Next week will be a REAL test of where we are and what we can do. I'm sure Glenn doesn't need me to tell him that we need to sharpen up, wise up and complete sets.

Too many mistakes and some poor decision making, but three points away from home is a great start and we mustn't get greedy. A lot of mistakes came from trying to be expansive and I'll always support that. Brown outstanding. Best half back try in Dewsbury colours for many a year. O'Brien outstanding, but can't agree with this dual reg stuff. Poor Tebb didn't even get a start today. Just not good enough. That young lad has a great future in front of him and at this rate it WON'T be with the Rams. Defence patchy, but overall much improved than under WJ and did my eyes deceive me or did we even try and "Meet em" today. Great start, well done all, but please let's have Matthew Tebb in the 17 before its too late and he's off. No place foy Coleman today either? Expected him on the bench........

Lucky win I heard!

No, not lucky, scrappy. Neither team deserve plaudits but we were the better team. Lots of positives on show as outlined above. It was a typical "First Game" sort of match.

Just heard Glenn on T'wireless he said we had a completion of about 50% second half. That doesn't mean we're bad, just need tightening up, and a bit more discipline. Too many penalties conceded and occasionally the wrong option chosen. All things that I'm sure can be put right.

A real curate's egg of a performance.

In reality we should have won by 20 but failed to convert pressure into points - the number of times were were in their 20 yet couldn't even force an extra six was worrying.

A kicker is an absolute priority - we were woeful on place-kicks and kicks in the loose.

Far too many penalties and, no, the referee wasn't being picky - keep your hands off the ball at the ptb.

A staggering amount of dropped ball, although Donny were just as bad. Does the new ball play a part in this?

Brilliant try by Brown - a stand-off with genuine pace - unbelievable.

Craven - what were you doing for their final try? Joe Cool needed to get his skates on.

Ditto for their try just before - was this Craven or Morton on this occasion.

I'm sure your eyes deceived you NickD - I didn't see our line move up more than 2m at any one time in defence.

A big plus point was GM on radio. Despite being his usual cheerful self he was clearly very unhappy with that performance and will want some improvement or changes pretty soon.

Did anyone attending the game today find the Donny cheer girls a little tiresome? I don't want to be an old nark. We all have cheerleaders, they are part of each club. I'm glad to see anyone involved in the game, my own daughter was a cheerleader at the Rams once upon a time. But there's a time and a place as they say. Their constant boring chanting during the first half was, to say the least, annoying. I was pleased to see no unpleasantness directed toward them, but they did, for me anyway, tend to spoil things.

I agree with all you say Johnny, we were a long way from the finished article. My point is that I think the things we got wrong today are fixable. For the first time in a long while, I think we have the squad and coach in place to become a good team. Sure, there's work to be done, but I think the foundations and players along with a talented coach are there. We can, and I think , will get there.

O'Brien played well and Brown was excellent.

That said I feel really sorry for Tebb - this dual reg thing is a joke!!

I agree with all you say Johnny, we were a long way from the finished article. My point is that I think the things we got wrong today are fixable. For the first time in a long while, I think we have the squad and coach in place to become a good team. Sure, there's work to be done, but I think the foundations and players along with a talented coach are there. We can, and I think , will get there.

Oh, agreed. I have much more faith in GM than I ever had in WJ and the potential in the squad is quite exciting. We'll have good days and bad during the season that's for sure but, this year, I am hoping that the former will outnumber the latter.

O'Brien played well and Brown was excellent.

That said I feel really sorry for Tebb - this dual reg thing is a joke!!

Play Tebb in place of Tonks on today's showing. Where will Coleman fit in though?

Anyone want to forecast next weeks' score? I'll start it off.... Fev are (as always) very strong, but I think we might scare them a bit, I think we are better than todays' scoreline suggests... Fev by 6 or 8 lets say 16-24

Both O'Brien & Donsldson played well. However Tebb could have scored the tries O'Brien did and Esposito would have done a job - not a fan of Dusl reg.

Coleman is another unfortunate to be dropped. Personally I think he's a better half back than spavin.