Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

Extraordinary TV ads to promote new Super League season (merged threads)

91 posts in this topic

Chuff me, some of the comments on here are incredible.

We had a great new approach for an advert that was released on YouTube. It was well received and research showed that it went down well with non-rugby league fans, who said they would be more likely to attend matches as a result.

Now the concept has been expanded and will be broadcast to several million people who live close to an existing Super League club, and it will be broadcast in the week leading up to the start of the season that will be no doubt be featured in the local newspapers and on the local radio stations of the same people.

It seems like a very well thought out plan to me, that is making the most of the very limited funds the game has.

Exactly what I was thinking! This seems like a well thought out targeted campaign that has best chance of growing interest in local clubs. The RFL need to be applauded for this. It's not like everyone in Yorkshire/Lancashire already attends matches!

The only benefit I can see of going national would be if it also advertised the games on Sky and they part funded it.

There maybe thriving clubs in the midlands, Wales, south west etc, but its a Super League campaign,

Yes, I know. So the target is to get people to watch Superleague clubs only? If so, that still leaves London out of the loop since they are still a Superleague club even though flatcappers don't want them to be. However, it would be far better to promote the sport more strategically, where there is already interest and clubs but where there is potentially a larger audience. And London should definitely be targetted. Not only is it a potentially massive audience but there is a Superleague club there which is crying out for new supporters. However, Superleague is simply our headline elite competition. We advertise it not just to Superleague devotees but as our flagship of the game. In this world cup year we should be thinking bigger and broader than the flippin M62 corridor.

especially having not seen the advert yet

I've seen it. It's the ad they piloted on YouTube at the back end of the season. Just go on there and request The Rugby League of the Extraordinary and you'll see it yourself. It had 239,000 views or thereabouts. It's a beltin ad and I thought it was a great idea.

Not sure what your point is on media city, that strikes me as being a great PR move when the alternative was no doubt a broom cupboard at Red Hall.

Cost. That was the point raised and the point I was referring to.

Yes, I know. So the target is to get people to watch Superleague clubs only? If so, that still leaves London out of the loop since they are still a Superleague club even though flatcappers don't want them to be. However, it would be far better to promote the sport more strategically, where there is already interest and clubs but where there is potentially a larger audience. And London should definitely be targetted. Not only is it a potentially massive audience but there is a Superleague club there which is crying out for new supporters. However, Superleague is simply our headline elite competition. We advertise it not just to Superleague devotees but as our flagship of the game. In this world cup year we should be thinking bigger and broader than the flippin M62 corridor.

I've seen it. It's the ad they piloted on YouTube at the back end of the season. Just go on there and request The Rugby League of the Extraordinary and you'll see it yourself. It had 239,000 views or thereabouts. It's a beltin ad and I thought it was a great idea.

Cost. That was the point raised and the point I was referring to.

We can only speculate how long the thread would be whinging if they RLW team didn't have an office in Media City, I suspect the same knockers would lead the charge using the normal strategy of what ever the RFL do is wrong or not enough!

As for London, nothing to do with flatcaps, value for money would rule it out for me, why double the cost of the campaign to cover an extra 1/14 of the teams in the league, I don't see that it would have a return on the investment and until I see someone from the London Broncos management team up in arms about it that'll remain my view.

In this world cup year the RFL could maybe put together a 30mins highlight reel of world cup tries and action, tack it on to the front of one of the popular mens mags, along with the extraordinary rugby ad viral. DVD duplication wouldn't cost much, all they'd have to pay for would be the packaging and appilcation to the front of the mag.. which again wouldnt cost much.. and i can't see many of these magazines objecting to such a thing.

things like that could be done throughout the season to help build momentum.

The viral ad on TV, even if it is the same ad as last year (though for some reason i thought it was a new ad, moving on from the last one, the extraordnaryrugby.com website now has a holding page, which would suggest new content) is a great way to start this..

Another thread full of foolishness. Everybody knows that Sky doesn't want an M62 league and will walk away if Broncos are ever relegated. Everybody bar a few flatties knows that London add value to the SL contract and in fact the RFL are planning a second London SL club. I know this because Parky told me.

Therefore the TV ad must have been shown in London and anybody who says differently is a flattie who hates southerners and possibly a union troll.

As for London, nothing to do with flatcaps, value for money would rule it out for me, why double the cost of the campaign to cover an extra 1/14 of the teams in the league, I don't see that it would have a return on the investment and until I see someone from the London Broncos management team up in arms about it that'll remain my view.

I referred to London because London was ignored by the argument that Superleague clubs were covered.

However, in this a world cup year, both London and Wales are hosting significant events for our international game and so investment in actually raising awareness of our game might just have been a tad useful, don't you think? That the ads are for Superleague does not limit them to Superleague; Superleague is simply our flagship league. It is the means by which we can raise awareness of the game as a whole, warming up the audience to any world cup specific ads that may arrive later in the year.

I referred to London because London was ignored by the argument that Superleague clubs were covered.

However, in this a world cup year, both London and Wales are hosting significant events for our international game and so investment in actually raising awareness of our game might just have been a tad useful, don't you think? That the ads are for Superleague does not limit them to Superleague; Superleague is simply our flagship league. It is the means by which we can raise awareness of the game as a whole, warming up the audience to any world cup specific ads that may arrive later in the year.

to be fair it depends where the money is coming from. I expect this will be a SL investment so they probably couldnt justify doubling their investment to include London etc.

The RLWC has its own marketing budget - let thrm use that to market the world cup.

Frankly I'm appalled that it isn't being broadcast on Bien Sport, Al Jazeera and BBC World Service.

Heads should roll for this.

to be fair it depends where the money is coming from. I expect this will be a SL investment so they probably couldnt justify doubling their investment to include London etc.

The RLWC has its own marketing budget - let thrm use that to market the world cup.

I didn't say the RFL to market the world cup. I was suggesting that it was sound marketing policy to warm up the audience ready for the world cup marketing later in the year.

If all the RFL could afford is to target the audience already largely familiar with rugby league with expensive adverts then so be it (although clearly they have the funds to finance Media City and Odsal, my point earlier!). However, if this was a policy choice I think it is a poor one given the reasons I have already stated, not least it being a world cup year.

Frankly I'm appalled that it isn't being broadcast on Bien Sport, Al Jazeera and BBC World Service.

Heads should roll for this.

That's a childish comment, and one I didn't expect from you to be honest.

I didn't say the RFL to market the world cup. I was suggesting that it was sound marketing policy to warm up the audience ready for the world cup marketing later in the year.

If all the RFL could afford is to target the audience already largely familiar with rugby league with expensive adverts then so be it (although clearly they have the funds to finance Media City and Odsal, my point earlier!). However, if this was a policy choice I think it is a poor one given the reasons I have already stated, not least it being a world cup year.

Given that the UK public find it difficult to distinguish between RU and RL, I don't see the point in "warming up". All the public will see is "some rugby league or other is advertising, that's funny I can't see Saracens in there anywhere".

That's a childish comment, and one I didn't expect from you to be honest.

Just reflecting the mood of the thread.

Some expensive TV advertising during a high profile sports event, is better than no expensive TV advertising at all in my humble opinion.

Thats my take on it, a Super League advert, promoting Super League, presumably funded by the shareholders of Super League.

Just reflecting the mood of the thread.

Some expensive TV advertising during a high profile sports event, is better than no expensive TV advertising at all in my humble opinion.

I'm not sure that your initial comment fairly or accurately reflected the "mood of the thread" - it seemed to be a response to another thread altogether. I don't know of anyone who would disagree with your last sentence.

The mood of this thread is generally positive (with the odd exception) but, for some of us, tinged with disappointment that one English Super League club on its uppers is not to be catered for by the advert in question. This disappointment is compounded by the fact that this is a World Cup year too and that there's a 90000 seater stadium to fill at semi-final time.

That's all.

I hope there will be announcements of adverts going nationwide regarding the staging of the World Cup.

I understand that in life you can't always get what you want - but why should I and others pretend to be wholly satisfied by something that, maybe for different or even inadequate reasons (as you might see them), concerns us? It doesn't have to be that kind of forum, does it?

I'm not sure that your initial comment fairly or accurately reflected the "mood of the thread" - it seemed to be a response to another thread altogether. I don't know of anyone who would disagree with your last sentence.

The mood of this thread is generally positive (with the odd exception) but, for some of us, tinged with disappointment that one English Super League club on its uppers is not to be catered for by the advert in question. This disappointment is compounded by the fact that this is a World Cup year too and that there's a 90000 seater stadium to fill at semi-final time.

That's all.

I hope there will be announcements of adverts going nationwide regarding the staging of the World Cup.

I understand that in life you can't always get what you want - but why should I and others pretend to be wholly satisfied by something that, maybe for different or even inadequate reasons (as you might see them), concerns us? It doesn't have to be that kind of forum, does it?

I don't disagree with any of that mate!

I don't disagree with any of that mate!

...and I liked your eloquent piece on York!

Maybe this is an advertising campaign planned for a year. The internet advert before the 4 Nations to test the water, the current adverts just ahead of superleague starting targeted in an area where it is likely they'll get the best return on the investment then Wales and London targeted on the run up to the world cup. Maybe London ahead of the CC final.

For a long time people have moaned about lack of promotion of the game, at least things are looking like changing, surely that's a good thing.

The problem with the RFL is that it will not advertise on TV.

Well, it has now.

Yes but it is still wrong.

:( :( :( :(

Normally, I'd be all for national coverage, but when it comes to TV advertising, we're talking about shelling out a lot of extra money for just adding the London region on its own. I think covering just the two regions is okay in this case.

I expect that the ad agency involved will have some way to measure the results before the campaign is extended.

The problem with the RFL is that it will not advertise on TV.

Well, it has now.

Yes but it is still wrong.

:( :( :( :(

What do we want?

Whatever the RFL aren't doing.

When do we want it?

I expect that the ad agency involved will have some way to measure the results before the campaign is extended.

Yes thay do. I'm afraid a lot of the comments on here are not well informed.

An ad campaign is long argued and fought over. It's not just about the money or areas. Briefly the objectives have to be clearly defined: lapsed users, new users or get current users to use more, etc, etc.!

Considerations are then OTS (opportunities to see) and costs per thousand (viewers) and many other facors such as target age, sex, etc. Its not the actual cost therefore but the impact on who you want to talk to

All these are carefully monitored and (I hope) money is left over to research the effect based on the original objectives.

Careers and prestigeous awards can be made and won if got right.

I was worried I'd have to watch the FA Cup at the weekend to see the ad, but as it's not on in my region I don't have to put myself through the tedium.

Thanks RFL!