Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

Extraordinary TV ads to promote new Super League season (merged threads)

91 posts in this topic

This forum is getting worse by the day.

Why is nobody allowed to challenge anything that is going on without a barrage of sarcy comments? This could have been an interesting discussion, however the discussion and debate gets dropped when people come in with unnecessarily sarcy initial comments (claiming to be reflecting the mood of the thread) and a post goading a poster who isn;t even on the thread.

RLFans went down this route a good while ago (drowning out any voices who want a sensible discussion/debate).

Yes thay do. I'm afraid a lot of the comments on here are not well informed.

An ad campaign is long argued and fought over. It's not just about the money or areas. Briefly the objectives have to be clearly defined: lapsed users, new users or get current users to use more, etc, etc.!

Considerations are then OTS (opportunities to see) and costs per thousand (viewers) and many other facors such as target age, sex, etc. Its not the actual cost therefore but the impact on who you want to talk to

All these are carefully monitored and (I hope) money is left over to research the effect based on the original objectives.

Careers and prestigeous awards can be made and won if got right.

I don't think it is fair to say that a lot of the comments are ill-informed.

Whilst I am supportive of absolutely anything that promotes this sport, there has always been a thing where fans love any TV advertising, and that is because it is direct and in your face - it feels like proper advertising.How often do we hear fans complain that the RFL do not undertake any marketing, completely ignoring things like Direct Mail, Press, Radio, Display Ads, Affiliates, Web banners, editorials etc. - all of which are often carried out by the RFL.

Just because the RFL are using TV advertising doesn't mean it is the best medium (especially if there is no supporting campaign to run alongside it) - and it is fair that it is discussed and challenged if necessary.

Whilst I am supportive of absolutely anything that promotes this sport, there has always been a thing where fans love any TV advertising, and that is because it is direct and in your face - it feels like proper advertising.How often do we hear fans complain that the RFL do not undertake any marketing, completely ignoring things like Direct Mail, Press, Radio, Display Ads, Affiliates, Web banners, editorials etc. - all of which are often carried out by the RFL.

Just because the RFL are using TV advertising doesn't mean it is the best medium (especially if there is no supporting campaign to run alongside it) - and it is fair that it is discussed and challenged if necessary.

Its a good point. Imagine how much more effective the Stobart deal would have been if a TV ad campaign ran alongside it?

Why is nobody allowed to challenge anything that is going on without a barrage of sarcy comments? This could have been an interesting discussion, however the discussion and debate gets dropped when people come in with unnecessarily sarcy initial comments (claiming to be reflecting the mood of the thread) and a post goading a poster who isn;t even on the thread.

RLFans went down this route a good while ago (drowning out any voices who want a sensible discussion/debate).

If anyone's posting stuff that breaks the T&Cs or dragging a thread off topic, please just simply report it and it will be dealt with by myself or a moderator. I get a bit bored of saying this every time someone posts a 'forum going down the pan' comment when no one has reported anything for days.

Any forum is only as good as the people who use it.

Maybe a bit harsh, Dave but i still stand by the rest of my post.

I spent nearly 30 years in marketing with a £M+ budget and it is not spent on a whim.

We do not know the objectives. Research may show that people attend for two seasons and lose interest or reach a certain age and stop going.

There people may be the target of the ads.

Posters just saying "it should be shown in London" are ill informed because its easy to say but they don't know what the campaign is trying to achieve.

Some of the responses on this thread appear to be in answer to posts that have yet not been written - or else to other threads altogether.

If anyone's posting stuff that breaks the T&Cs or dragging a thread off topic, please just simply report it and it will be dealt with by myself or a moderator. I get a bit bored of saying this every time someone posts a 'forum going down the pan' comment when no one has reported anything for days.

Any forum is only as good as the people who use it.

I don't think there is much to report though tbf John, otherwise I would have. I just fancied a moan, sorry if that's breaking any forum rules :)

I don't buy the "preaching to the converted" line - the RFL are chosing to advertise in two massive regions. Whilst it will be broadcast in the majority of the hometowns of the UK SL clubs it isn't exclusively being broadcast there. This covers cities as big as Manchester, Liverpool, York, Sheffield where awareness of our sport is not as big as it could be, yet are close enough to be actively involved with a big RL club if they wish (or one more local if that takes their fancy).

TV advertising isn't just about creating awareness of a new product though, which is also a slightly misleading argument. It's about retaining it as well - if it was just about advertising new stuff why does someone like Coca Cola or BT bother - everybody knows the companies exist. Is anyone watching an ad for Diet Coke who has never heard of it before? Every slot you buy on TV is one your rivals can't. The aims - one presumes - can also be to strengthen your product to existing customers and tempt those back who have fallen by the wayside.

Maybe a bit harsh, Dave but i still stand by the rest of my post.

I spent nearly 30 years in marketing with a £M+ budget and it is not spent on a whim.

We do not know the objectives. Research may show that people attend for two seasons and lose interest or reach a certain age and stop going.

There people may be the target of the ads.

Posters just saying "it should be shown in London" are ill informed because its easy to say but they don't know what the campaign is trying to achieve.

I actually agree with the rest of your post, it was just the first line which I thought was harsh.

I agree with your post above, my issue was more of a political nature - how do we insist to sponsors that we are a national sport when we limit our advertising to the M62 route?

Financially i'm sure it makes sense, but politically they could have extended this campaign to include London for a pretty reasonable price - not necessarily in the same form as the 'Northern' ads, but something could have been done.

As you say we don't know the main objective, although it was stated at the back end of last season that major focus would be on raising brand awareness, which fits in with the TV ads.

Financially i'm sure it makes sense, but politically they could have extended this campaign to include London for a pretty reasonable price - not necessarily in the same form as the 'Northern' ads, but something could have been done.

The two regions who are carrying the ads are cheaper put together than London on its own. That's probably why they made the decision. National broadcasting would be much much more.

National ads in newspapers, magazines etc. will be cheaper, and the RFL should definitely be using those platforms across the country.

The two regions who are carrying the ads are cheaper put together than London on its own. That's probably why they made the decision. National broadcasting would be much much more.

National ads in newspapers, magazines etc. will be cheaper, and the RFL should definitely be using those platforms across the country.

You could buy a most basic London package (shorter ads for example) and make it fit financially for political reasons. Don't forget, the reason London is more expensive is due to the audience you will hit with it.

I suspect it is only me who is concerned about the message that this kind of things sends out though, so happy to let it drop.

And I think I read the ad would be 60 seconds long, that's a big ol' advert. What, about 25% of the break? Perhaps we're being sponsored by John Lewis, they like a good long telly advert.

You could buy a most basic London package (shorter ads for example) and make it fit financially for political reasons. Don't forget, the reason London is more expensive is due to the audience you will hit with it.

I suspect it is only me who is concerned about the message that this kind of things sends out though, so happy to let it drop.

No, I understand your point, and it'd be nice to switch on my TV and see n advert for TGG (thus increasing the sport's presence on ITV by approximately 100%). But they probably put the cost up against the possible reward and took the conservative approach.

Still a big risk for not much reward though. If it's a success at this level, then I'd say it's entirely likely they'd look at London in future campaigns, otherwise it's just a waste of money. Plus you I bet you can reach London in other - cheaper - ways, than TV adverts.

Still a big risk for not much reward though. If it's a success at this level, then I'd say it's entirely likely they'd look at London in future campaigns, otherwise it's just a waste of money. Plus you I bet you can reach London in other - cheaper - ways, than TV adverts.

Certainly more of a gamble, however if the objective of this campaign is brand awareness (they stated this last year with extraordinaryrugby) then it isn't that much of a gamble to be fair, as you aren't necessarily linking the ads to direct sales.

Being efficient isn't always the best way in marketing, although it is naturally what most would lean towards.

You can also reach the Granada and Yorkshire regions for cheaper than TV too.

We complain when the BBC refuse to show the SL Show nationally - on what grounds do we complain about this? It seems to me that we agree with them that we are a Yorkshire and Granada region sport.

The freebie press, for a start. Public transport commuters in London can pick up two free daily papers (Metro in the morning and the Standard in the evening), plus magazines like Time Out, Shortlist and Sport.

And that without counting a host of other giveaway publications that aren't as widely distributed, like Southern Cross, City A.M. etc.

Certainly more of a gamble, however if the objective of this campaign is brand awareness (they stated this last year with extraordinaryrugby) then it isn't that much of a gamble to be fair, as you aren't necessarily linking the ads to direct sales.

Being efficient isn't always the best way in marketing, although it is naturally what most would lean towards.

You can also reach the Granada and Yorkshire regions for cheaper than TV too.

We complain when the BBC refuse to show the SL Show nationally - on what grounds do we complain about this? It seems to me that we agree with them that we are a Yorkshire and Granada region sport.

It's hard to argue against that really. However until we know what the marketing team is planning as a follow up to keep awareness high after this campaign then it's hard to say what use running this ad in the rest of the country is/isn't to them. Being efficient may well not always be the best way to market a product, but in the case of the RFL I think they have made the right choice (at the moment anyway)

A small but not insignificant point that was brought to my attention...

Anybody who lives north of Nottingham right up in to Scotland who watch on ITV HD, get the Granada HD feed.

A lot more folk will see the ads than originally thought!

Lovely stuff... :D

Anybody who lives north of Nottingham right up in to Scotland who watch on ITV HD, get the Granada HD feed.

Oh yeah, in between You've Been Framed I get all these stupid ads for rubbish in Lancashite I don't give a #### about.

Yep - despite my moaning, I'll be watching the Man City game on ITV HD.

On the Scotland thing though, you don't actually get ITV HD (or STV HD) as standard, you have to manually tune this in.

I actually agree with the rest of your post, it was just the first line which I thought was harsh.

I agree with your post above, my issue was more of a political nature - how do we insist to sponsors that we are a national sport when we limit our advertising to the M62 route?

As you say we don't know the main objective, although it was stated at the back end of last season that major focus would be on raising brand awareness, which fits in with the TV ads.

I agree but IMHO a completely different ad would be needed for London.

In the north most people have a basic awareness of the game and probably know where their nearest club is even if they have never been.

The reaction to the current ad in London would range from total indifference to "uh?". Nearly 50% of the population have no historical connection to rugby of any colour and i would wager the majority do not know they have an SL team. It would be a bit like showing the thrills and spills of ice hockey in Derbyshire!

I'm suggesting a more subtle approach is needed there. What, I don't know as I don't have the research.

I agree but IMHO a completely different ad would be needed for London.

In the north most people have a basic awareness of the game and probably know where their nearest club is even if they have never been.

The reaction to the current ad in London would range from total indifference to "uh?". Nearly 50% of the population have no historical connection to rugby of any colour and i would wager the majority do not know they have an SL team. It would be a bit like showing the thrills and spills of ice hockey in Derbyshire!

I'm suggesting a more subtle approach is needed there. What, I don't know as I don't have the research.

I'm interested to see what call to action is on the TV ad - I saw one article which suggests that the ad will be adapted - it should naturally be mentioning the SL launch date which obviously the last one didn't.

I'm interested to see what call to action is on the TV ad - I saw one article which suggests that the ad will be adapted - it should naturally be mentioning the SL launch date which obviously the last one didn't.

Good point. I guess the fairground barker at the end could easily be re shot to do that.

(by the way is it Jarrod Sammut?) :-)

A very good point. I watch ITV on digital and now know all manner of weird Lancastrian shops. That's quite a reach!!

The posts about RL on TV in general have now been moved here to keep this thread on topic about the 'Extraordinary' SL ad campaign.

Thanks.