Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

Tetley’s to sponsor the Challenge Cup

110 posts in this topic

How do I add an image from My Pictures?

On the RFL site their scrolling news pic thing has a photo of this with a backing board which looks like it has Super League logos on too... Tetley double whammy?

No,Tetleys is the official beer of SL.

Excellent news. Where is it brewed (if that is the correct word!) there days?

Marsdons brewery in Wolverhampton.

A decent sponsor for the cup - seems to have been a 180 degree change in strategy at the RFL as last year they were firmly against gambling and alcohol companies as sponsors. Maybe they're finally waking up to the fact that the game's northern working class roots are a strength and not a weakness to be ashamed of as seems to have been the case recently.

Tetley are a good fit, well done whoever brought them on board.

Great news, love the logo; the Challenge Cup appearing next to a monocle clad huntsman, proof that we are appealing not just to the Jeremy Kyle demographic. ;)

No,Tetleys is the official beer of SL.

Ahhh of course, it'll say 'official beer' underneath. D'uh brain.

Fantastic News. The logos remind me a little of 'League of the Extraordinary' too. :)

I think that might have been done on purpose mate. Great if so!

Marsdons brewery in Wolverhampton.

A decent sponsor for the cup - seems to have been a 180 degree change in strategy at the RFL as last year they were firmly against gambling and alcohol companies as sponsors. Maybe they're finally waking up to the fact that the game's northern working class roots are a strength and not a weakness to be ashamed of as seems to have been the case recently.

Tetley are a good fit, well done whoever brought them on board.

Irrespective of the fit with the sport, we seem to have been the only sport in this country certainly, that have avoided these sponsors.

I think it is fine if you have two sponsors offering the same package that you can have these principles, but when football and RU are going round with sponsorship from Budweiser, Carling, Tetleys etc and we are being stubborn then it doesn't make sense.

Irrespective of the fit with the sport, we seem to have been the only sport in this country certainly, that have avoided these sponsors.

I think it is fine if you have two sponsors offering the same package that you can have these principles, but when football and RU are going round with sponsorship from Budweiser, Carling, Tetleys etc and we are being stubborn then it doesn't make sense.

Maybe it was unneccessary stubbornness, but finding sponsorship is tough in the current financial climate. My personal prejudices find a beer company significantly more acceptable than a loan shark or gambling company.

And compared to Budweiser, Heineken, Carling, etc., at least we're not linking our wonderful game with a nasty fizzy lager! :D

Lets hope all players,coaches,administrators,journalists,broadcasters and supporters all refer to it as the Tetley's Challenge Cup and not the Challenge Cup - ru seem to be able to do it with Heineken.

That's because it's the Heineken Cup rather than the Tetley's Cup. Do they refer to the Amlin Challenge Cup by its full name?

That's because it's the Heineken Cup rather than the Tetley's Cup. Do they refer to the Amlin Challenge Cup by its full name?

They do, as it happens. And the Magners League too.

But thats for another forum...

They do, as it happens. And the Magners League too.

Fair enough. Honestly had no idea if they did or not

I think it's because our cup has a far longer heritage than those comps - like how stadium naming rights are most expensive when it first opens as people will forever call it that regardless of future sponsors

Good news and agree that Tetley's is a good fit for the sport. We had the Stones Bitter Championship for many years which was a similar fit. Great logo also. Let's hope the RFL can come up with a recognised main sponsor for Super Lwague and then we can kick on to the world cup.

Good news and agree that Tetley's is a good fit for the sport. We had the Stones Bitter Championship for many years which was a similar fit.

And the Tetley's Super League which was even more similar :D

wonder if the beer will be on sale at the cup final

I thought it was tea!

Still. Good news. Hope it hasn't been sold for a 6-pack and a beer mat.

Are Leeds still a bit miffed about the brewery closure? Not that they'll ever win the Cup...

Yer can say that again,although tetley's aint been the same since about 1963

I was well miffed when I didn't nick one of those Tetley's Super League pint pots.

I wonder if Huddersfield will host a Tetley's Challenge Cup semi-final this year...?

;)

Aye - that's an interesting one! Either way, there's a good chance they'll get a home game, and maybe even a televised game!

Great news for the game. I am now hopeful for a fair few other announcements over the next few weeks. Hopefully James Mercer will be a bit of a RL hero in a month or so.

Great news for the game. I am now hopeful for a fair few other announcements over the next few weeks. Hopefully James Mercer will be a bit of a RL hero in a month or so.

Foxy Bingo

X-Blades

Tetley's (x2)

Heinz Big Soup (imminent)

Looking cautiously promising!