Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

EU - In or Out?

European Union - Should the UK be In or Out?   62 members have voted

1. 1. European Union - Should the UK be In or Out?

• In
    • Out

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

241 posts in this topic

I thought you were saying something about the need for us to make our own decisions?

We do - we decide to do whatever the Americans ask us to.

Other countries do have anti-EU parties e.g. Ireland has Sinn Fein. We don't hear much about them because for some reason, British media do not give much coverage to European politics, for instance, Belgium had a major formation crisis with no party able to form a govenment for over a year yet few people in Britain have ever heard of it.

I heard about it but not exactly in any detail. I think it's a trait in our culture, or perhaps just our media I don't know, to look west more often than east (at least the near east of Europe). I remember reading Bill Bryson's* take on this in his book 'Notes from a Small Island' when he observed that if world geography was constructed entirely by what we read in the papers or see on TV we would have 'no choice but to conclude that America must be about where Ireland is [and] that France and Germany lie roughly alongside the Azores'. He goes on to say 'If there is a political crisis in Italy or a neuclear spill in Karlsruhe, it gets maybe eight inches on an inside page. But if some woman in Sh**kicker, West Virginia, cuts off her husband's d ick and flings it out the window in a fit of pique, it's second lead on the news and the Sunday Times is mobilising the 'Insight' team'. Not the most intellectually challenging way of putting it but pretty astute I think. Although his book was written in 1995 I don't think much has changed really. We still hear a stupid amount about life in the States but hardly anything about life on the other side of the English Channel. I don't know whether the media is driven by the interests of British people in this or the other way around but the fact that it is so could explain something when it comes to considering the pros and cons of the EU.

*Bill Bryson was an American journalist and travel writter who married an English woman and settled in England.

I thought you were saying something about the need for us to make our own decisions?

And how is deciding to back the Americans a comment upon our ability to make our own decisions? We simply decide to back them. It's often in our own interests to do so. Apart from anything else, we do a sizeable amount of trade with the USA.

The old chestnut "Big storm in Channel, Continent isolated" shows about where our media is coming from where Europe is concerned

*Bill Bryson was an American journalist and travel writter who married an English woman and settled in England.

Thanks, could you also perhaps tell us all who Bill Clinton and Walt Disney were?

Thanks, could you also perhaps tell us all who Bill Clinton and Walt Disney were?

Very funny. No, really. Not.

Given he hasn't written a travel book in over a decade I didn't assume that everyone would know who he was.

Latest polling figures from Com-Res (figures in brackets show change from last month). All fieldwork for the poll carried out after Cameron's speech.

CON 33%(+5),

LAB 39%(nc),

LDEM 11%(+2),

UKIP 10%(-4)

A fairly hefty swing from UKIP to Conservatives!

Com-res have changed the way they crunch the numbers.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/6908

By my rough, back-of-a-fag-packet reckoning, if ComRes had used the methodology they used last month they’d have shown topline figures of CON 32%, LAB 37%, LD 11%, UKIP 13% – so it would still have shown a Conservative increase, but UKIP would have suffered a smaller drop, with Labour also falling slightly.

Mid-term polls only show voting trends not active votes. On such trends, it is indicated that the Libdems and UKIP attract~20% of the vote ... enoughto decide the resultant parliamentary control regime.

As such, after a General Election, the Cabinet/governing body could be crucially controlled (50% say-so on any given issue) by a party with only one third of the popularity of the runner-up party in that election.

Given he hasn't written a travel book in over a decade I didn't assume that everyone would know who he was.

You once again assume wrongly, its a habit of yours.

Com-res have changed the way they crunch the numbers.

http://ukpollingrepo...g/archives/6908

Shush! :lol:

Com-Res have changed their methodology, but seem to have switched back again this month. Apparently, if you disregard the changes there has still been a small swing. Still the latest GDP figures won't have helped (although some Tory supporters will, obviously, see a decline of 0.3% as the 'economy still growing'). ;)

You once again assume wrongly,

And you know this how? Have you polled everyone who reads this forum?

And you know this how? Have you polled everyone who reads this forum?

There is only a requirement to back up what you are saying on the general forum, on this forum, you can claim to be able to read minds unchallenged. Or so it seems.

There is only a requirement to back up what you are saying on the general forum, on this forum, you can claim to be able to read minds unchallenged. Or so it seems.

it's still doing the business.

:D

5p0nG.jpg

A high horse yesterday.

All weekend polls are now out (see http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/6920)

Angus Reid/Sunday Express have the Conservatives on 30% (up three) and Labour on 39% (down three) – the online version of the article doesn’t mention the UKIP or Lib Dem scores. The poll was conducted on Thursday and Friday.

ComRes/IoS/Sunday Mirror has the Conservatives up 5 on 33%, Labour unchanged on 39%, UKIP down 4 points on 10%. As I wrote yesterday, some of this appears to be due to ComRes treating likelihood to vote differently in their December poll, but even with consistent treatment of likelihood to vote the poll would have shown the Conservatives up 4 or 5 points, though it would probably also have shown Labour down slightly.

Survation/Mail on Sunday has the Conservatives on 31%, up two, Labour unchanged on 38% and UKIP down two on 14%.

YouGov in the Sunday Times has topline figures of CON 35%, LAB 41%, LDEM 12%, UKIP 7%. Compared to the average of YouGov’s polls last week that equates to the Conservatives being up by about two, Labour down by about two and UKIP down by about one.

In each individual poll the changes are relatively small, but they are consistent across the pollsters, so we can be fairly confident that the Conservatives have enjoyed a small boost from the referendum promise and the positive publicity around it. UKIP appear to have dropped slightly, but not massively (the biggest drop they had, that in the ComRes poll, was mostly due to methodological variation). The shift is hardly a game changing degree though.

So, a small swing from UKIP to Conservatives, and a lessening of Labour's lead compared to recent weeks. Nothing earth-shattering, but it is a trend that probably will continue as this parliament continues.

I thought it was - for Shadow anyway ;)

Well, there you go then. I backed up what I was saying by providing a bit of information about Bryson to those whose minds I cannot read.

Looking at the vote it is currently 60:40 in favour of remaining in. This surprised me and I don't think it would be that close in the case of a referendum. Has TRL become more right wing over the years?

Looking at the vote it is currently 60:40 in favour of remaining in. This surprised me and I don't think it would be that close in the case of a referendum. Has TRL become more right wing over the years?

Right wingers come and go. I suspect some of them come back 're-badged'.

They can be good entertainment, though.

A no vote to the EU is not necessarily right-wing. I voted no in the poll because I see it as a huge, undemocratic, capitalist oligarchy-in-the-making.

They can be good entertainment, though.

Agreed, but not quite so funny as the contributions from the forum's Grauniadistas. :)

Also true of the far-left on here.

Agreed, but not quite so funny as the contributions from the forum's Grauniadistas. :)

Who, or what are Grauniad​istas? I've always been intrigued to know. :blink: