Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kroy1978

Test your knowledge

19 posts in this topic

Just to pass the time until the start if the season against rochdale in acouple of weeks - any ideas of who we are playing in this picture, bonus point for the year and two bonus points for the score.

pic.twitter.com/W9TzRKlA

I'll take a guess at Springfield Borough.

think you could be right. Charlie on the wing and I think that could be peter Walsh in thick of it?1988? In fact wasn't this Charlie's first match? Wasn't't he listed as an other?

Charlie said he thought he had hypothermia in that game. Remember one of the tries he scored, he slid in from about 25 yard out. The new roof on the stand made a right roar as the wind ripped across the corrugated metal.

The game was from 1987/88 Runcorn v Oldham.

In the programme it states, "A Kevin Meadows hat-trick was the highlight of oldham's 34-8 victory over Runcorn in the club's second division championship season. Other scores came from Des Foy (2) Gary Warnecke and Mal Graham, with Peter Walsh (2) and mick Burke kicking the goals. In the picture Colin Hawkyard tries to find a way through the Runcorn defence."

The game was from 1987/88 Runcorn v Oldham.

In the programme it states, "A Kevin Meadows hat-trick was the highlight of oldham's 34-8 victory over Runcorn in the club's second division championship season. Other scores came from Des Foy (2) Gary Warnecke and Mal Graham, with Peter Walsh (2) and mick Burke kicking the goals. In the picture Colin Hawkyard tries to find a way through the Runcorn defence."

Note the crowd, if that is the game you state. Runcorn's average home gate was 400 that season and for the Oldham game there was a capacity 3000 crowd.

Wasnt this the game we had our first "encounter" and the start of our Hate/love relationship with John Cogger?

Wasnt this the game we had our first "encounter" and the start of our Hate/love relationship with John Cogger?

Certainly was. Remember going to that game and he really wound our forwards up - he was like a mad man, thought he was the dirtiest player I had ever seen, but what a player when he came to Oldham, he was an inspiration to those around him.

I remember the game away against Sheffield at the owlerton stadium and cogger was there with the team as a speccy. That was when knew we had signed him. His first game was the week after against Hull at home.

John Cogger and his brother played in the match at Runcorn asi remember. We played Hunslet at Ellend Rd , a night match John came outside the players entrance and gave my wife and i 2 free tickets and yes he was a inspirasion when on the pitch.