Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honor James

New-look Championships ready for an Extraordinary 2013

106 posts in this topic

Pick a major UK sport that would launch any competition with the embarrassment of not having a sponsor, might as well get a twelve bore and point it straight at your shoes.

Everything is not rosy in this garden, but I suppose the happy clappy gestapo struggle with the concept.

FFS

The Celtic League didn't have a sponsor for about the first five years and it's a full-time professional top flight competition.

We aren't the problem though are we, we will support our clubs come what may. We will go the extra mile, sponsorships, season tickets, lottery, ISA etc

We know we watch a great comp, we know Thursdays/Premier contract are a joke, but how do we attract new/lapsed fans who say 'whats the point when you win it and go nowhere?'

You don't go anywhere when you win SL either - you stay in SL.

Championship is a great comp in its own right. Sheffield won last year, Fev the year before, odds are that we'll get a new champ again this year. Odds are that Leeds will be playing Wigan again in the SL grand final.

2013 is just the start for the lower leagues I think, I hope they find more clubs for C1.

Should be a good year this year,

The geographical spread is impressive when you consider there are only 9 teams in CC1 as compared to 14 in SL. SL has only 2 teams outside the M62.

CC1 goes from Gateshead to Lancashire to North Wales to South Wales to Gloucester to Oxford to Hemel to London. Next season to include Coventry. There is also the new concept of two student based teams, not tried since Sydney University in 1908

What is missed is covered by CC. i.e.West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, York and Cumbria.

It would be great if there was some sponsorship money and there is always the fear that some one at these levels will not finish out the season but SL are not exactly covering themselves in glory in that area either.

I think its great and very promising even if my team are looking likely relegation candidates.

When the World Cup does roll around the commentators and presenters should make a big deal of mentioning all these diverse geographical members of the game and should plug the local CC teams in the area when covering the games in Workington, Rochdale, Leigh, Halifax, Wales and Bristol and even give Skolars and Hemel a plug along with Broncos when covering the semi finals from Wembley.

I don't know that one, but they get £300k+ from central and don't have to play big games on a Thursday night for no income.

Are things heading in a better direction now the Lewis era is over YES, are they great today NO. Will they become much better when we bin this Licence carp in March - VERY MUCH SO.

Are Championship fans in favour of the Premier deal - NO!!!!! You can't polish a ######, accept it's a ###### and build for something better. Recovery starts with acceptance, lets hope the building works.

Whilst the RFU don't have a problem lining up sponsors for the national side for obvious reasons, the RFU commercial director has publicly stated that it is currently very hard indeed to find commercial partners willing to sponsor the division. So if th RFU with all their commercial acumen and old tie networks are struggling to find a firm interested in their Championship, is it surprising that the RFL haven't found anyone yet?

Championship is a great comp in its own right. Sheffield won last year, Fev the year before, odds are that we'll get a new champ again this year. Odds are that Leeds will be playing Wigan again in the SL grand final.

You make it sound like Leeds play Wigan in a lot of finals...?

I'm really looking forward to this season. The Championship should be even better with 14 teams this year and what better way to start than with the mighty Fax at the Shay!

Also looking forward to seeing who they get to sponsor the competition. It's great the RFL still have the pulling power to attract big names like Tetleys. The Emirates Championships will do me.

You make it sound like Leeds play Wigan in a lot of finals...?

beat me to it! What a mental post from NS - when did Leeds meet Wigan at Old Trafford - wasnt it only the 1st grand final about 14 years ago?

beat me to it! What a mental post from NS - when did Leeds meet Wigan at Old Trafford - wasnt it only the 1st grand final about 14 years ago?

That's what I was thinking. More likely to be Leeds-St Helens

There is also the new concept of two student based teams, not tried since Sydney University in 1908

All Golds and...........?

Also looking forward to seeing who they get to sponsor the competition. It's great the RFL still have the pulling power to attract big names like Tetleys. The Emirates Championships will do me.

A sponsor is currently in due diligence for the Championships. Its a big company too.

Are you trying to be funny with your first comment? Do you take folk to be thick or is it pure arrogance?

The spectacle that the championship delivers is great, but its played in a cul-de-sac. Its watched by an ageing hardcore. Sheffield won it with a fan base of 3 men and a dog, if that's considered a success in your world then somebody needs to shake your head, if you are just regurgitating the bull from RH then fair enough, they hadn't a clue when they used that phrase as well.

Whilst the RFU don't have a problem lining up sponsors for the national side for obvious reasons, the RFU commercial director has publicly stated that it is currently very hard indeed to find commercial partners willing to sponsor the division. So if th RFU with all their commercial acumen and old tie networks are struggling to find a firm interested in their Championship, is it surprising that the RFL haven't found anyone yet?

I'll take 300k this year and no sponsor.

All Golds and...........?

The Oxford team play at the Oxford univerity stadium and I thin have signed a few student players although not from OxBridge, but there is a very strong link to the university in the use of their ground, a former RU holy of holies.

The spectacle that the championship delivers is great, but its played in a cul-de-sac. Its watched by an ageing hardcore. Sheffield won it with a fan base of 3 men and a dog, if that's considered a success in your world then somebody needs to shake your head, if you are just regurgitating the bull from RH then fair enough, they hadn't a clue when they used that phrase as well.

Your spot on Craig with that post. Our crowds have only grown because people have a dream again by our BOD trying to get us back in the top division. Without the dream of P&R I fear the championship will die a slow and painful death.

Are you trying to be funny with your first comment? Do you take folk to be thick or is it pure arrogance?

You seem to be confusing crowd size with my reply to detractors of the Championship. I am aware that there major issues with attendances. I don't see what that has to do with the attractiveness of the on-field product.

That's what I was thinking. More likely to be Leeds-St Helens

More likely on recent history but not on current squad strength. SH haven't been the same since they got rid of Long, it would be a minor shock if they made it to the grand final.

You seem to be confusing crowd size with my reply to detractors of the Championship. I am aware that there major issues with attendances. I don't see what that has to do with the attractiveness of the on-field product.

You seem unable to grasp the difference between detractors of the Championship as a spectacle from Championship fans who are aware of the challenges they face due to the cul-de-sac its played in.

You watch a film because the reviews are good, you leave the cinema and say 'that was a great film' - you dont go back every week to watch it again for 50 years, because thats what sports fans do when they have allegiance to a club. When it becomes no point fans drop off as the passion drops with it. The nervous intensity at GF's that lead to promotion was fantastic, if you ask the few Fartown fans it was the most nervous night of their lives, ask Salford fans about the difference in 2003 and 2008? ask Cas about Headingley etc I have been to many SL GF's - nothing on the old NL GF's. - that passion has gone.

In my view, you play much the same teams one season to the next whether you are in SL or the Championship. Most SL clubs have nothing to play for other than the hope that they might get to the play-offs - only to be knocked out in the first round. The teams at the top are much the same as they have always been.

Is that so much better than a Championship grand final with a trophy at stake? Especially since almost any team in the Championship could conceivably win it if not this season then within the next five.

We aren't the problem though are we, we will support our clubs come what may. We will go the extra mile, sponsorships, season tickets, lottery, ISA etc

We know we watch a great comp, we know Thursdays/Premier contract are a joke, but how do we attract new/lapsed fans who say 'whats the point when you win it and go nowhere?'

New\lapsed fsns who say "whats the point...etc.

How many of these are there and what is the basis of this reserch. As you well know there is a properly structured pathway from Champ.to SL. I thunk this is going to be the best ever champ. season.

In your view.

In my view, you play much the same teams one season to the next whether you are in SL or the Championship. Most SL clubs have nothing to play for other than the hope that they might get to the play-offs - only to be knocked out in the first round. The teams at the top are much the same as they have always been.

Is that so much better than a Championship grand final with a trophy at stake? Especially since almost any team in the Championship could conceivably win it if not this season then within the next five.

How old are you?

He's clearly old enough to make a valid point.

yet he appears confused by thinking Leeds and Wigan will meet at OT again, they have met only once in the gf. He also thinks the teams at the top are the same, ignoring Wire and Catalan.

New\lapsed fsns who say "whats the point...etc.

How many of these are there and what is the basis of this reserch. As you well know there is a properly structured pathway from Champ.to SL. I thunk this is going to be the best ever champ. season.

I am suprised you are not familiar with the joint study undertaken by Clayton Christensen of Harvard in conjunction with Jeffrey Pfeffer of Stanford, arguably the worlds two greatest professors of Business. A detailed insight was obtained regarding the motivation of Global sports fans and the direct link with benefit selling in maximising attendence at sports stadia.