Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

South Wakefield Sharks

New Sky SL promo

72 posts in this topic

One point which does make me slightly nervous is putting all our eggs in one basket with Tomkins as the face of Rugby League. We are already hearing his coach saying he will probably leave SL, maybe as soon as next year.

The more we can get the profile of Sinfield, Hall, Westwood, Roby - more superstars of British RL - out there the better off we will be.

The more we can get the profile of Sinfield, Hall, Westwood, Roby - more superstars of British RL - out there the better off we will be.

I could be wrong, but I think Ryan Hall may feature on Soccer AM this week. Dont think he is a guest as such, but one of the guys from the show was asking about him on twitter and mentioned it would be this saturday.

I could be wrong, but I think Ryan Hall may feature on Soccer AM this week. Dont think he is a guest as such, but one of the guys from the show was asking about him on twitter and mentioned it would be this saturday.

Yeah - saw that mentioned - and of course the SL ads which will be shown this weekend do have other players on - I can just see it now that in 12-18m time, Rugby Union will announce the signing of our biggest profile player in RL.

It might just be me, but I thought it was a cycling advert for most of it and stopped paying attention! Hopefully the public have better attention spans than me (or like cycling and pay more attention!).

They're not daft those people at Sky. What is essentially a promo for SL is also doubling up as a promo for their Team Sky cycling team. Two birds, one stone. Clever stuff.

One point which does make me slightly nervous is putting all our eggs in one basket with Tomkins as the face of Rugby League. We are already hearing his coach saying he will probably leave SL, maybe as soon as next year.

That concerns me too, good ad, but Tomkins isnt committed to SL and maybe not even RL.

Something to do with his prowess on the Rubik Cube apparently.

This is excellent. Nice to see something from Sky promoting league that isn't all bang, thud and smash. We've done that before and it's nice to have something different.

This is excellent. Nice to see something from Sky promoting league that isn't all bang, thud and smash. We've done that before and it's nice to have something different.

Thats the big thing for me, its different to every other RL advert I have ever seen! Love it!

This is a great ad and the profile of Bradley wiggins is sky high, the fact that he's a real rugby league fan is only going to benefit our game.

They're not daft those people at Sky. What is essentially a promo for SL is also doubling up as a promo for their Team Sky cycling team. Two birds, one stone. Clever stuff.

Absolutely, and to have Super League associated with Team Sky (with the success they've had) is great.

I despair of some of the people on here though.

Great advert, I've got a bit bored of RL, towards back end of last season. Started going to watch football again after RL season finished and I was neither here nor there about the season starting again, but now I can't wait.

I can't believe anyone can see any negatives in this, it's not in yourface but it gets your attention and it features the current hottest property in sport bigging up our sport. How can anyone moan about that. Oh sorry it's Rugby League fans. And that is why I got bored of the game. Oh well some things never change. Why not use Tomkins as the face of the game whilst he is playing the game, can find another "face" when he leaves. Use your assets.

Re Ryan Hall on Soccer AM they should also get the Leeds United player of the same name on as well, be good gimmick.

I've got it set to record. Never watched it before in my life

Well Tomkins is the face of RL in this country right now, and this is an advert for the 2013/2014 SL season so I don't see why it would be an issue to have him featured. This ad is trying to get people watching the sport this season so why would it matter that Tomkins may, at some undefined point in the future, leave the league?

With no disprespect intended to him because he's a great player, but Ben Westwood is never going to be made one of the faces of SL!

Well Tomkins is the face of RL in this country right now, and this is an advert for the 2013/2014 SL season so I don't see why it would be an issue to have him featured. This ad is trying to get people watching the sport this season so why would it matter that Tomkins may, at some undefined point in the future, leave the league?

With no disprespect intended to him because he's a great player, but Ben Westwood is never going to be made one of the faces of SL!

Well Westwood was included on the extraordinary campaign, so I'll disagree with you there.

My point on Tomkins was hardly a negative, I already commented that I like the ad - just an aside.

Well Westwood was included on the extraordinary campaign, so I'll disagree with you there.

My point on Tomkins was hardly a negative, I already commented that I like the ad - just an aside.

It's great but....

Isn't that negative. Why would ignore using Sam Tomkins whilst he is playing the sport. It's like saying I've got a lovely sports car that gets attention but I'm going to sell it maybe in a few months so I'll leave it in the garage and use my old car that no one gives a toss about.

Your average punter ,may just, have heard of Tomkins, they will not of heard of Ben Westwood.

It's great but....

Isn't that negative. Why would ignore using Sam Tomkins whilst he is playing the sport. It's like saying I've got a lovely sports car that gets attention but I'm going to sell it maybe in a few months so I'll leave it in the garage and use my old car that no one gives a toss about.

Your average punter ,may just, have heard of Tomkins, they will not of heard of Ben Westwood.

Nobody said ignore Sam Tomkins, so I can't comment on your point.

It's great but....

They would probably think Ben Westwood was a golfer, or britains fastest getaway driver.

Nobody said ignore Sam Tomkins, so I can't comment on your point.

Ok maybe I read more into your comment than you intended

But this is one advert, they haven't released several adverts with Tomkins in it, so it's one egg in the basket so far. Currently he's RL most recognisable face so why not capitalise on that?

From the Mail, a bit about the promo and some glowing words from Bradley Wiggins.

I think the following will go down rather well on here: "Everyone knows it is a physical game but I had only seen union up to that point, but league... just how fast it was, how athletic the players were."

I like it. Saying that it doesn't start like a Rugby ad I think is misguided.

Wiggins is the man of the moment. People will know its an ad and will therefore watch to see what he gets up to (he's known for his sense of fun). Then the punch line that he's not talking about cycling grabs you.

Brilliant!

From the Mail, a bit about the promo and some glowing words from Bradley Wiggins.

I think the following will go down rather well on here: "Everyone knows it is a physical game but I had only seen union up to that point, but league... just how fast it was, how athletic the players were."

There's a proper green-crayon-all-caps rant in the comments.

That's the world's most popular newspaper website giving us top coverage by the way.

There's a proper green-crayon-all-caps rant in the comments.

Ain't there just! Quite alarming...

But this is one advert, they haven't released several adverts with Tomkins in it, so it's one egg in the basket so far. Currently he's RL most recognisable face so why not capitalise on that?

Fair point - it was a casual comment reflecting my nervousness around Tomkins future in RL, fueled by his coach.

I like it. Would've loved it to be about RU. This will make people sit up and take notice.