Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklaspalmas

RUNNING IN THE FAMILY.

154 posts in this topic

Great blog Mark. I have always been interested in who was related to who. Featherstone have a long tapestry of this. The uncle nephew thing, I know Tom Saxton is Alan, Keith and Barry Banks'' nephew. I think it may be the same case with Steve and Carl Dooler. There has been a plethera of Barker's and Ward's and I believe Paul Hughes of circa 87- 91was also related to another Rovers player. I would love to know the link between Ivor Lingard and Lee Lingard and whether Any of the Coordings (sp) were related, Ray, Jamie, Andy and Dave. Not really a Rover's link but Andy Kain is the nephew of 70s Cas player John Kain who is Stuart's dad.Maureen has prety good knowledge of family links. I would love to have any more info.

running in the family, quite apt for the Kinseys Mark

Great blog Mark. I have always been interested in who was related to who. Featherstone have a long tapestry of this. The uncle nephew thing, I know Tom Saxton is Alan, Keith and Barry Banks'' nephew. I think it may be the same case with Steve and Carl Dooler. There has been a plethera of Barker's and Ward's and I believe Paul Hughes of circa 87- 91was also related to another Rovers player. I would love to know the link between Ivor Lingard and Lee Lingard and whether Any of the Coordings (sp) were related, Ray, Jamie, Andy and Dave. Not really a Rover's link but Andy Kain is the nephew of 70s Cas player John Kain who is Stuart's dad.Maureen has prety good knowledge of family links. I would love to have any more info.

Paul Hughes was Neil Woolfords brother-in-law at one time, likewise Steve Evans and Gary Sidall were also brother-in-laws at one time. I will have to get my thinking head on about others as I've just come in off a night out in pub.

I do believe that Les Tonks Brother is Antony Tonks Grandad, so I think that would make Les, Antony's Great Uncle?

Barney could answer that one

Dave Kellett, Cyril Kellett and Cyril's son Brian

Ikram and Tony Butt

Bob Spurr and Chris Spurr

Did Deryck Foxs brother Martin play for us as well?

Dave Kellett, Cyril Kellett and Cyril's son Brian

Ikram and Tony Butt

Bob Spurr and Chris Spurr

Did Deryck Foxs brother Martin play for us as well?

Yep, briefly.

Ive got all them you've mentioned included.

The families that will really take some sorting out all are:

Morgan

Barraclough

EVans

Anderson

Dooler

Tonks

running in the family, quite apt for the Kinseys Mark

I know Brian was a very handy sprinter. Was Vic too?

Thanks Andrew. Lingard is another of those names that runs through the club (and other clubs too), not just players either.

With regard to the Cordings Ray was the only one who made the Rovers first team, apart from an Eric Cording who played a single match in the 1930s. How do the others fit in?

I do believe that Les Tonks Brother is Antony Tonks Grandad, so I think that would make Les, Antony's Great Uncle?

Barney could answer that one

Or simply his uncle, no? ;)

Then there's Kevin Tonks (Les' son?), Ian Tonks (no relation?) and Josh Tonks (no idea)

Thanks Andrew. Lingard is another of those names that runs through the club (and other clubs too), not just players either.

With regard to the Cordings Ray was the only one who made the Rovers first team, apart from an Eric Cording who played a single match in the 1930s. How do the others fit in?

Hi Mark, yeah, Dave Coording was about my age, maybe a year older. He played in the colts/ juniors with Simon Wragg, Alan Banks and Paul Lingard funnily enough. I think Dave may have made a couple of A team outings in the mid 80s. Andy was s junior player around Featherstone, he'd be in his early 30s now, I think he may have played with the lions too. Jamie played for the lions/ juniors with Westerman and Kiell Carlyle, think he may be at Huddersfield now.

I asked Tangi Ropati if he was related to the famous Ropati clan. He said only very distantly, so his relationship with Iva is only a very tenuous one.

Ray Cording as a son called David

I asked Tangi Ropati if he was related to the famous Ropati clan. He said only very distantly, so his relationship with Iva is only a very tenuous one.

Yes. Likewise Jerome Ropati was only very distantly related.

The brothers were Peter (Leigh) Joe (Warrington) Tea (saints) Iva (Fev, sheff) and I think two more John and Romi

Jamie played for the lions/ juniors with Westerman and Kiell Carlyle, think he may be at Huddersfield now.

Yes, he has the no.19 shirt at the Giants this year. Keal Carlile is at Hull KR, he played yesterday. I thought he was at Bradford, and then was seriously ill, wasn't he?

Yes, he has the no.19 shirt at the Giants this year. Keal Carlile is at Hull KR, he played yesterday. I thought he was at Bradford, and then was seriously ill, wasn't he?

Yeah , Keall was ill, I think it was when he was at the giants, nice to see him back. He is from Chequerfield / Willow park.

as is Zak, Tom Carr, Gaz Raynor and Larne Patrick.

Mark, there were seven Ropati brothers who played the six as you said and the eldest Feu.

Maureen, would David be about 46/47 years of age,?If so this could be the one who played at Rovers Jnrs in the early 80s.

Maureen, would David be about 46/47 years of age,?If so this could be the one who played at Rovers Jnrs in the early 80s.

I do believe he is Andrew

Yeah , Keall was ill, I think it was when he was at the giants, nice to see him back. He is from Chequerfield / Willow park.

as is Zak, Tom Carr, Gaz Raynor and Larne Patrick

Dont forget Dale Ferguson think he's a local lad too.

The Woolfords, father and son.

http://marklaspalmas...l-woolford.html

Woolford.jpg

another one of my heroes. because of his try scoring exploits, people seem to forget about his defensive capabilities. a great tackler and hard as nails. whenever he got the ball though, we were all on our toes expecting a score. i think Terry Clawson names him in his team of greats that he played with.

What about ......Mick Gibbins and

Bluebeard :-)))))

What about ......Mick Gibbins and

Bluebeard :-)))))

The Gibbins will be featured. mick's brother Brian played a bit for the first team. Not sure if Bluebeard qualifies......... :D

another one of my heroes. because of his try scoring exploits, people seem to forget about his defensive capabilities. a great tackler and hard as nails. whenever he got the ball though, we were all on our toes expecting a score. i think Terry Clawson names him in his team of greats that he played with.

Yes, I was talking about Cyril to my dad, and he loved his whole-hearted style. Very very hard man. They lived at the end of our street all my childhood.