Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklaspalmas

RUNNING IN THE FAMILY.

154 posts in this topic

Going back a day or two for today's family, the Metcalfes.

http://marklaspalmas...n-metcalfe.html

thanks Mark. some interesting stuff behind the facts and figures.

thanks Mark. some interesting stuff behind the facts and figures.

I think Don was quite a cultured chap. He was a Maths lecturer at Wakefield College after playing.

I had Don at Wakefield college.1984/85. Don't want rain on anyone's parade here, but I was quite excited to learn that he'd once been a Rovers player and told him so. He somewhat disappointingly replied that he preferred Wakefield a d wasn't that fond of Rovers. I thought maybe he was saying it tongue in cheek but after a few weeks of his lessons I realised that he didn't do tongue in cheek.

I had Don at Wakefield college.1984/85. Don't want rain on anyone's parade here, but I was quite excited to learn that he'd once been a Rovers player and told him so. He somewhat disappointingly replied that he preferred Wakefield a d wasn't that fond of Rovers. I thought maybe he was saying it tongue in cheek but after a few weeks of his lessons I realised that he didn't do tongue in cheek.

During my time as working as a carer I visited a couple in Wakefield to provide care, we got talking and they asked where I came from and when I replied Featherstone the gentleman asked me if I followed Rovers, naturally I told him yes, his wife then informed me that her brother used to play for Rovers. This brother turned out to be Don Metcalfe, I told them about my family's involvement with the Rovers etc and we shared some memories, but I too got the distinct impression that Wakefield was the favourite.

let's be fair though, wakey were a top club at the time

Fair do's. Not every ex-player has to love the club. All his family were from Wakefield and he started out at Sandal RU. I think he had serious differences with the committee too before leaving. Something to do with him being club captain but asked to play in a position he didn't want to.

You're of course correct Mark. I don't want to speak ill of the departed and I am perhaps digressing, however, my first hand memories were not of a very nice man. Still he wore the Rovers' colours with pride and when all is said and done when he coaches you in the open age side that included Messrs. Gunn, Sharp and Liley (RU), of whom I couldn't lace their boots, no wonder he thought of me as a Fool. Still I topped his Maths class.

In my playing days I played at Ackworth with Fred Agar who had also been on the Rovers books and is related to Alan.

In my playing days I played at Ackworth with Fred Agar who had also been on the Rovers books and is related to Alan.

Interesting. Yes, Fred Agar played for Rovers 64 to 66 around 10 matches. Allan's older brother perhaps? Could you find out for us Mick? Ta.

Fred is Alan's older brother. Used to be caretaker at Willow park school in Pontefract.

Fred is Alan's older brother. Used to be caretaker at Willow park school in Pontefract.

Cheers Bazzer

The Butt bros have been mentioned earlier on I think. The interesting thing about the Tuffs brothers was that they played for Rovers over a three decade span. Neil and Robin in the 70 s, Neil came back for a brief spell in 83/84 and Simon played in the mid 90s alongside Jon Sharp who's is the brother of Tim and Robin.

The Butt bros have been mentioned earlier on I think. The interesting thing about the Tuffs brothers was that they played for Rovers over a three decade span. Neil and Robin in the 70 s, Neil came back for a brief spell in 83/84 and Simon played in the mid 90s alongside Jon Sharp who's is the brother of Tim and Robin.

Yes, Tony BUtt managed a game or two I believe.

I think Im right in saying (waits for Maureen.....;)) that Mrs Tuffs who was our post-lady had four lads and Neil, Robin and Simon were 2nd 3rd and 4th. The oldest lad, Monk (don't know his real name) didn't play,

I think Im right in saying (waits for Maureen.....;)) that Mrs Tuffs who was our post-lady had four lads and Neil, Robin and Simon were 2nd 3rd and 4th. The oldest lad, Monk (don't know his real name) didn't play,

His name is Philip, had a fish shop on Finkle street in Ponty

Neil is oldest, same age as me, then Robin and Philip are twins then Simon the youngest :-))))

Monk, used to be a reasonable amateur player with Jubilee ARLFC. What I remember most about him was that he used to bring his Alsatian to the Rovers games. I also remember being stood near him and his dog in Jan 83, well before the cup campaign, I overheard him say to his mate, that he was convinced that Rovers would win the cup that year, despite their lowly league position at the time he was saying it. I don't know whether or not he followed his hunch and had a bet but He would have won a tidy sum. I think that we were at least 100-1 at one bit, antepost.

Cheers Andrew, Ive included a snippet of your info in today's blog.........

Three brothers whose contribution to the Rovers cause spanned over twenty years.

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/

I can't find any photos of today's boys. Can you help??

Ta.

Good reading so far Mark, but I do believe you still have Robin down as the oldest and it is Neil who is the eldest. Neil as lived in Australia for many years now, I've put a photo on your Facebook page of Neil for you

Good reading so far Mark, but I do believe you still have Robin down as the oldest and it is Neil who is the eldest. Neil as lived in Australia for many years now, I've put a photo on your Facebook page of Neil for you

Oh stuff it, you are right, I thought I'd changed that. Ta. As ever. ;)

Mark, do you remember Neil Tuffs coming back to Featherstone, after his spells with Fulham and Kent? I think that he played at loose forward ( don't know where "bosh" was that day) in a home league game against Hull on New Year's day 1984, or thereabouts. We were beaten narrowly on a really murky afternoon. I think I remember Richard Marsh scoring in the corner from a Neil Tuffs pass. Incidentally wasn't it Neil Tuffs who was nicknamed "sailor"?

Cheers Andrew, Ive included a snippet of your info in today's blog.........

Three brothers whose contribution to the Rovers cause spanned over twenty years.

http://marklaspalmas.blogspot.com.es/

I can't find any photos of today's boys. Can you help??

Ta.

Great read as usual check your pm mate.

Mark, do you remember Neil Tuffs coming back to Featherstone, after his spells with Fulham and Kent? I think that he played at loose forward ( don't know where "bosh" was that day) in a home league game against Hull on New Year's day 1984, or thereabouts. We were beaten narrowly on a really murky afternoon. I think I remember Richard Marsh scoring in the corner from a Neil Tuffs pass. Incidentally wasn't it Neil Tuffs who was nicknamed "sailor"?

Ha! What a memory! I've just looked it up, and it was as you said. I was definitely there that day, but I don't remember a single thing from that match! I guess AA must have coaxed him out of semi-retirement for one last game. Lyman wasn't really establsihed at LF in 83/4. Mostly it was Tex Hudson at 13 that year.