Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marklaspalmas

RUNNING IN THE FAMILY.

154 posts in this topic

Thanks Terry/ Mo.

The Steve Barker I meant was a scrum half I think. He played under Vince Farrar in the early 80s. He might have played for Jubilee.

Andrew. I think Gary Ward was sub forward in that game V Wake and the 2 starting props were Gary Siddall and Ray Handscombe

Thanks Terry/ Mo.

The Steve Barker I meant was a scrum half I think. He played under Vince Farrar in the early 80s. He might have played for Jubilee.

I remember scrum half, Steve Barker, I'm sure he was a Pontefract lad but not related to the Featherstone family I don't think. Clever half back who didn't quite break into regular first team football. Don't think Geoff and Peter Clarkson are related either. Pete's son plays second row for the Rhinos first team squad on a regular basis.

I remember scrum half, Steve Barker, I'm sure he was a Pontefract lad but not related to the Featherstone family I don't think. Clever half back who didn't quite break into regular first team football. Don't think Geoff and Peter Clarkson are related either. Pete's son plays second row for the Rhinos first team squad on a regular basis.

Terry, it's not Pete's son, I know they once announced it on super league that it was, all they have in common is the same name (Kris)

Andrew. I think Gary Ward was sub forward in that game V Wake and the 2 starting props were Gary Siddall and Ray Handscombe

Thinking about it that is a great shout Bazzer. Ray propped because Tony O'toole or Mark Shaw or Craig Parry I can't remember was given a run out.

Thinking about it that is a great shout Bazzer. Ray propped because Tony O'toole or Mark Shaw or Craig Parry I can't remember was given a run out.

Tony O'toole

Terry, it's not Pete's son, I know they once announced it on super league that it was, all they have in common is the same name (Kris)

I mean Peter Clarkson, a Leeds lad, who played for us Mo. Are you thinking of Pete from Fev?

I mean Peter Clarkson, a Leeds lad, who played for us Mo. Are you thinking of Pete from Fev?

Was Micky Clarkson related to Peter?

Yes, Pete from Fev, Terry

Was Micky Clarkson related to Peter?

No, don't think so Andy. Mickey's a Wakefield lad and played for Wakefield schools in the 1986 Wembley curtain raiser with our Steve.

No, don't think so Andy. Mickey's a Wakefield lad and played for Wakefield schools in the 1986 Wembley curtain raiser with our Steve.

Thanks Terry, as always.

I've already said that, Mr Gloom!! Except the brothers bit.

I don't know if his has been mentioned, apologies if so but Greg Nicholson ca. 2006 was also related to Tony, I'm almost certain they were cousins.

I don't know if his has been mentioned, apologies if so but Greg Nicholson ca. 2006 was also related to Tony, I'm almost certain they were cousins.

And Tony is the son of Arnie, and Arnie is the brother of Stan? I think I remember being corrected on this point a bit back.

Tony is Arnies son,

Stan & Arnie are brothers

Greg is the son of Gary, who is the brother of Stan & Arnie

So Tony & Greg are cousins...........phew!!!

Steve Barker, is from castleford & was signed from cas u18s, players like Barry Johnson, Bob Beardsmore, Gary Hyde & Gary Price in the same team. Signed for Fev around 1978. Never played any amateur Rugby.

Just when you thought the thread had come to an end, I could do with a bit more info. I was in the loft the other evening and I found an old programme. It was the last ever top division game that Rovers were in v Oldham in April 95. I don't usually buy programme's but I remember buying this as it was such a poignant occasion.

I noticed in the team line ups on the programme, that Rovers had a number 7 listed as Alex Thompson. Me with the great memory, not, had totally forgotten about this bloke. He must have been Rovers' last debutante either in that game or one of the games immediately before, in the top division. Can anyone, Mark, Mo, Terry, Dobber, Jimmy, Steve et al remember this guy? And would be able to give any info about him. And as a long shot was he related to the great Jimmy Thompson? I think Jimmy came from Knottingley originally but I have no recollection of Alex,I obviously, wrongly assumedTubby would have played his last game that day at scrum half.

Just when you thought the thread had come to an end, I could do with a bit more info. I was in the loft the other evening and I found an old programme. It was the last ever top division game that Rovers were in v Oldham in April 95. I don't usually buy programme's but I remember buying this as it was such a poignant occasion.

I noticed in the team line ups on the programme, that Rovers had a number 7 listed as Alex Thompson. Me with the great memory, not, had totally forgotten about this bloke. He must have been Rovers' last debutante either in that game or one of the games immediately before, in the top division. Can anyone, Mark, Mo, Terry, Dobber, Jimmy, Steve et al remember this guy? And would be able to give any info about him. And as a long shot was he related to the great Jimmy Thompson? I think Jimmy came from Knottingley originally but I have no recollection of Alex,I obviously, wrongly assumedTubby would have played his last game that day at scrum half.

I remember Alex Thompson, he lived down Avon Walk in Fev when he played at Fev, I do believe he then went on to play at Sheffield Eagles. No relation to Jimmy, funnily enough we had a conversation about Alex on Facebook the other week, then lo and behold I bumped into his Dad in Station Lane and I hadn't seen him for years. One of Alex's claims to fame when he was at Fev, was that he broke through a line of defenders and ran down the pitch at Fev and all his wedding tackle fell out of his shorts, it was there on the video tape for all to see. I think Alex will have been about 20 in 1995.

Thanks Maureen.

No problems Andrew, that's all I can think of off top of my head for now

I remember Alex Thompson, he lived down Avon Walk in Fev when he played at Fev, I do believe he then went on to play at Sheffield Eagles. No relation to Jimmy, funnily enough we had a conversation about Alex on Facebook the other week, then lo and behold I bumped into his Dad in Station Lane and I hadn't seen him for years. One of Alex's claims to fame when he was at Fev, was that he broke through a line of defenders and ran down the pitch at Fev and all his wedding tackle fell out of his shorts, it was there on the video tape for all to see. I think Alex will have been about 20 in 1995.

I remember him vaguely. Looking him up, he only played four first team matches. I do remember him going elsewhere, but Im not sure about the Sheffield connection. Eagles had a player called Alex Thompson about that time, but he was a prop I think.

Steve Barker, is from castleford & was signed from cas u18s, players like Barry Johnson, Bob Beardsmore, Gary Hyde & Gary Price in the same team. Signed for Fev around 1978. Never played any amateur Rugby.

I earlier thought that Steve Barker had played for Jubilee, it was actually another Rovers Barker, Pete Barker that played for Jubilee.

Steve only ever played 15 games for Rovers first team. I know he was in the A team for a couple of seasons, did he not play anywhere after?

Steve only ever played 15 games for Rovers first team. I know he was in the A team for a couple of seasons, did he not play anywhere after?

Was Better known as Billy, nothing to do with Rugby but he worked at Glasshoughton Colliery & moved to the selby coalfield as a Deputy. where he works now who knows ?.