Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Les Tonks Sidestep

Where's Gav?

226 posts in this topic

Closer ? They're in Lancashire ... how much closer can you get ? ;)

Ha ha, some still wish they were.

Personally, I don't think we should worry too much about DR. I don't think it works all that well for the junior partner so I'll cheerfully allow them to get on with it. B)

So come on then Gav, do you think it will be five players or will the limit be relaxed over the coming seasons?

I've not got a clue. I don't have a crystal ball.

I've not got a clue. I don't have a crystal ball.

Would there be a number that would be too many, in your opinion? If so, how many?

Where's Gav???

I'm quite busy doing other stuff sometimes you know...

...As it happens I was trying to convince the Mrs. to go to the chippy for me.

Would there be a number that would be too many, in your opinion? If so, how many?

Personally, I don't think we should worry too much about DR. I don't think it works all that well for the junior partner so I'll cheerfully allow them to get on with it. B)

Griff it won't effect the top 5 IMO as the top 5 have enough fire power to see this off. But it's more about where the RFL are going to go with this in the future. We know they don't care about anything or anyone outside of the SL. So where's it going to lead? All these link up clubs going out of business etc. I know that's a massive assumption but I don't trust the RFL or the SL clubs both will do what's best for them and they won't give one hoot for the little partner in all this.

Terry, I don't know the full details of our link up same as all the fans of other link ups because we don't get told the full picture but re. your question of what the SL clubs get out of it I think the answer is £100k per season, or at least that is the figure that was first mentioned when they first talked of doing away with the Under 18's and Under 20's.

Surely they get that by replacing 18s & 20s with a single U19 not from having the partnership, don't they?

Fwiw, I don't think the Widnes/Town arrangement will be greatly different from the vast majority of others in practice. Whether they say so openly or not in most cases the entirety of a SL club's squad will available for DR if they are not being selected for their 1st team, they have nowhere else to play.

What's your gut feeling then Gav?

I don't have one. I'm taking it as it comes.

We know they don't care about anything or anyone outside of the SL.

I strongly beg to differ.

Griff it won't effect the top 5 IMO as the top 5 have enough fire power to see this off. But it's more about where the RFL are going to go with this in the future. We know they don't care about anything or anyone outside of the SL. So where's it going to lead? All these link up clubs going out of business etc. I know that's a massive assumption but I don't trust the RFL or the SL clubs both will do what's best for them and they won't give one hoot for the little partner in all this.

How do you know this? Stop making ridiculous sweeping statements that you have no idea whether true or not. I do believe that officials of your club have stated that they have received considerable help from the RFL in your quest for Super League.

How do you know this? Stop making ridiculous sweeping statements that you have no idea whether true or not. I do believe that officials of your club have stated that they have received considerable help from the RFL in your quest for Super League.

When the new Championship sponsor is announced (after some considerable work from the RFL) I won't be sharing any of my freebies with him...

You just have to look at our game to see if they care or not its not rocket science. Also we asked the RFL to help us out what were they gonna say NO?

When the new Championship sponsor is announced (after some considerable work from the RFL) I won't be sharing any of my freebies with him...

You just have to look at our game to see if they care or not its not rocket science. Also we asked the RFL to help us out what were they gonna say NO?

Lots of clubs ask the RFL to help them out, and they aften say NO! My point is not about whether the RFL support the game, (they do, including your club. . . substantially) it's about you making sweeping statements about things you have no idea about.

quite true.

Griff it won't effect the top 5 IMO as the top 5 have enough fire power to see this off. But it's more about where the RFL are going to go with this in the future. We know they don't care about anything or anyone outside of the SL. So where's it going to lead? All these link up clubs going out of business etc..

Are they ? I don't go that far myself.

We've used dual reg. The successes were the Vinny Finnegans, players who had a good run at the club and could have been loaned out to us under the old rules. The failures were the Kyle Woods - good player, but we never knew whether or not he was going to play.

DR isn't the end of the RL world. It's just an extension of the loan system we've had for as long as I've been watching the game. Let's not get carried away.

Lots of clubs ask the RFL to help them out, and they aften say NO! My point is not about whether the RFL support the game, (they do, including your club. . . substantially) it's about you making sweeping statements about things you have no idea about.

I'm sorry you feel that way but I've had enough of the big wigs at red hall and maybe my points do get far fetched but its just the anger of where our sport is heading with these in charge.

Surely they get that by replacing 18s & 20s with a single U19 not from having the partnership, don't they?

Fwiw, I don't think the Widnes/Town arrangement will be greatly different from the vast majority of others in practice. Whether they say so openly or not in most cases the entirety of a SL club's squad will available for DR if they are not being selected for their 1st team, they have nowhere else to play.

Exactly. That's why the limit of five will never be adequate. The Championship is to become a SL Reserves competition no matter how people may choose to dress it up.

So do they care or not?

Exactly. That's why the limit of five will never be adequate. The Championship is to become a SL Reserves competition no matter how people may choose to dress it up.

Who knows where it might lead in the future? What does amaze me though is why don't more SL clubs take up the option of having a second linked club, which must be in one of the several regions that were outlined and included Wales, London and Cumbria. If what you are saying is in their thought process then by linking with a second club they could give 10 players (5 at each club) game time. St Helens have that option by being linked with Rochdale and Whitehaven.

Closer ? They're in Lancashire ... how much closer can you get ? ;)

I wish you would shut up with this barrow- Lancashire s**t its getting boring, the only thing it is doing is showing how old you are! get over it man. ;)

So do they care or not?

Gav do you honestly see the RFL letting us into SL? Or any other champ club? It's all become about expansion now not the heartlands. ( I really hope I'm wrong but I don't see it happening). The taking away of P&R as taken the dream away from our game and without the dream what have you got? Also I'm not putting all the blame on the RFL as SKY have pulling power too as they fund the elite league.