Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Les Tonks Sidestep

Where's Gav?

226 posts in this topic

LRL, Workington's coaches are Gary Charlton, son of Paul Charlton, and Martin Oglanby, a former Town player when we won the Second Division Premiership. Both are no nonsense lads who are nobody's fools. I know for a fact that neither would want to be the Town coach if what you say is correct. If the Widnes club expect what you suggest then I would wager the link up will not last very long because it isn't going to happen. Town will use Widnes players to fill gaps due to injuries or suspensions. End of.

Keith - if you think that Widnes are just there to do you favours and expect nothing in return, I think you may be surprised. This is a partnership not a donation. They do you a favour, they expect you to do them a favour in return.

LRL, Workington's coaches are Gary Charlton, son of Paul Charlton, and Martin Oglanby, a former Town player when we won the Second Division Premiership. Both are no nonsense lads who are nobody's fools. I know for a fact that neither would want to be the Town coach if what you say is correct. If the Widnes club expect what you suggest then I would wager the link up will not last very long because it isn't going to happen. Town will use Widnes players to fill gaps due to injuries or suspensions. End of.

and what if you were in danger of relegation. or are your coaches unsackable

I wonder who will be our feeder club IF we get into SL?

Would it be the Tigers?

What then happens to our A team players

Who would we like to be our feeder club? Sheffield, York or Batley

Someone will be because Red Hall wont be changing their mind any time soon

Keith - if you think that Widnes are just there to do you favours and expect nothing in return, I think you may be surprised. This is a partnership not a donation. They do you a favour, they expect you to do them a favour in return.

Griff, people are justing looking for "what ifs" and spouting as if these are definite things that are going to happen. Nobody at Town expects to see Kevin Brown or any of several other of Widnes' top players playing for Town. That doesn't stop people asking but "what if". I am not naive enough to not accept that there will be little deals done behind the scenes at ALL the clubs where these links have been formed and I was not in favour of the link ups but they have happened and my club is trying to make the best of it. Out of 30 players in a SL first team squad 20 will be selected in the first team for that week. Of the other 10 some may be injured or suspended or an overseas player or 2 or 3 playing as over age players in the Under 19's, so what sort of selection does that leave us with out of the 30 man squad. Lets just wait and see how it pans out.

and what if you were in danger of relegation. or are your coaches unsackable

Meaning what? If we were in danger of relegation we would ask Dennis Betts to let us have his top 5 players whilst he played 5 juniors against Saints or Wigan or Leeds!!!! Yes, I'm being sarcastic but sadly that is what some people are imagining we would be doing.

Meaning what? If we were in danger of relegation we would ask Dennis Betts to let us have his top 5 players whilst he played 5 juniors against Saints or Wigan or Leeds!!!! Yes, I'm being sarcastic but sadly that is what some people are imagining we would be doing.

Well yes if Widnes had nothing to play for.

And seems I'm behind the times with others already going down the Widnes/Workington route: York, Dewsbury, Whitehaven.

Rest surely to follow totry and stay ahead/keep abreast.

Griff, people are justing looking for "what ifs" and spouting as if these are definite things that are going to happen. Nobody at Town expects to see Kevin Brown or any of several other of Widnes' top players playing for Town. That doesn't stop people asking but "what if". I am not naive enough to not accept that there will be little deals done behind the scenes at ALL the clubs where these links have been formed and I was not in favour of the link ups but they have happened and my club is trying to make the best of it. Out of 30 players in a SL first team squad 20 will be selected in the first team for that week. Of the other 10 some may be injured or suspended or an overseas player or 2 or 3 playing as over age players in the Under 19's, so what sort of selection does that leave us with out of the 30 man squad. Lets just wait and see how it pans out.

I'm not looking for "what ifs" at all. I'm not expecting any but fringe players to be sent to Workington. For me it's not a problem - I don't think it works. I'm more than happy for clubs to enter into these deals.

Nevertheless, to say that only Gary Charlton and Martin Oglanby have a say in how these loans go is something I find hard to believe. It would make Workington not just an equal partner but the senior partner.

I'm not looking for "what ifs" at all. I'm not expecting any but fringe players to be sent to Workington. For me it's not a problem - I don't think it works. I'm more than happy for clubs to enter into these deals.

Nevertheless, to say that only Gary Charlton and Martin Oglanby have a say in how these loans go is something I find hard to believe. It would make Workington not just an equal partner but the senior partner.

There shouldn't be a senior or junior partner but which club does it affect the most? Which coach's head is on the block depending on results? Of course our coaches are going to have most say on who plays in our team. That doesn't necessarily mean to say that Dennis Betts has no say but the final say should and I have no doubt will be down to the Town coaches.

There shouldn't be a senior or junior partner but which club does it affect the most? Which coach's head is on the block depending on results? Of course our coaches are going to have most say on who plays in our team. That doesn't necessarily mean to say that Dennis Betts has no say but the final say should and I have no doubt will be down to the Town coaches.

Of course, the answer will never be made public. -_-

Lovely stuff.

I think the long and the short of it is that you're a young man Gav who hasn't been shafted as many times as most of us old uns on here and i sincerely hope that it remains that way.

I think the long and the short of it is that you're a young man Gav who hasn't been shafted as many times as most of us old uns on here and i sincerely hope that it remains that way.

What do you mean by "shafted"?

Oh.

oh yes, the one thing i do have control over is my money and your club wont be getting any, i just hope the other 4/500 Rovers fans that might attend follow the lead, might just make some folk see sense because they are destroying this game.

Heard james Ford already left because of it

You're bored at home aren't you silly swingers???

He played yesterday, so unless he's left the club this morning?

oh yes, the one thing i do have control over is my money and your club wont be getting any, i just hope the other 4/500 Rovers fans that might attend follow the lead, might just make some folk see sense because they are destroying this game.

I know where your coming from but I will be attending all the away games this season apart from the hunslet game through principle. But I don't mind giving money to other clubs to watch my team even if it does go towards the SL.( Even if i don't like the idea) We should really be supporting our fellow clubs especially the Yorkshire clubs.

The thing I don't get with the DR system is you can only have 5 DR but in theory could you have the 5 DR players and the remaining 12 players in your squad being loans? If this can be done I'm sure some clubs would try it.

You've obviously never been to planet Lowfield then Simon???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

weve got a pretty strong 25 man squad at haven so cant see us ever using more than 3 saints players rumours are we could be getting 2 or 3 on season long loans which is completely different to dual reg so lets wait and see and when town get their 1st teamers fully fit i cant see them using many widnes reserves the only positions they seem weak in is at halfback maybe loose forward

hes left today had enough apparantly

hes left today had enough apparantly

I think a lot more will follow him over the next few seasons with the DR system. I mean if your not getting a game because of this system you will eventually get fed up and leave. This system means more and more players will disappear from the game this also includes the young guys and amateur level. If the opportunities become less and less they will soon move on.