Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Les Tonks Sidestep

Where's Gav?

226 posts in this topic

I think a lot more will follow him over the next few seasons with the DR system. I mean if your not getting a game because of this system you will eventually get fed up and leave. This system means more and more players will disappear from the game this also includes the young guys and amateur level. If the opportunities become less and less they will soon move on.

Fordy will get a game as long as he's fit and on form, he's one of our best players, the club captain and our Under 20's head coach.

Fordy will get a game as long as he's fit and on form, he's one of our best players, the club captain and our Under 20's head coach.

He wont play for you if he,s left mate and why coach an u20,s team if none are ever gonna play

weve got a pretty strong 25 man squad at haven so cant see us ever using more than 3 saints players rumours are we could be getting 2 or 3 on season long loans which is completely different to dual reg so lets wait and see and when town get their 1st teamers fully fit i cant see them using many widnes reserves the only positions they seem weak in is at halfback maybe loose forward

I genuinely hope you're right and my concerns turn out to be unfounded, but the numbers just don't seem to add up. The majority of supporters of twinned clubs currently appear to believe that its unlikely that more than 2 or 3 DR/loan players will appear and that their club/coach will have complete control over how many and which DR players are used, if someone can explain how this is going to work for the SL clubs, given the following numbers, I'd be delighted to be put right.

Hull have 32 players in their 1st team squad 31 are too old for U19s

Widnes 32 players in their 1st team squad 28/29(depending on cut off date) are too old for U19s

Warrington have 34 players in their 1st team squad 33 are too old for U19s

Wakey have 28 in their 1st team all 28 are too old for U19s

If you assume for the above teams that 3 DR's play for their twin club each week that leaves between 8 - 13 players at each club not playing in any given week, even allowing for injuries this seems too many to be workable. If the Champs club has absolute control over which players it uses then it seems almost inevitable that some of the SL squad players will get 2 or 3 games a season, if they are lucky. Its quite plausible that some would not play at all. I simply can't see why any SL club would enter into such an agreement. The only way I can see that this can working for both parties is if the champs clubs use most if not all of their DR quota each week and their is an understanding, if not formal agreement, that players in need of game time will be accommodated, If I'm missing something obvious I'm happy to be corrected..

It might just work for Saints given their agreements with both Rochdale and Haven, they have 29 over 19's in their first team squad and also have dispensation to DR Alex Walmsley to to Batley.

Do you not think that the coaches at both the SL clubs and the Championship clubs will have noticed the point you are making and will work around it?

The success or failure of the Championship club is in the hands of the Championship club coach. It is his head that's on the chopping block if the team fails on the pitch so which Championship coach is going to sit back and be told which players he has to pick for any given match. This isn't one way as the Championship clubs in these partnerships are also doing the SL clubs a favour by actually giving some of the SL clubs players game time.

The SL club coach will offer some of his players to the Championship club coach and it is up to the Championship coach to decide who would strengthen his team. The players on offer might not be where the Championship club is weakest so why would they want them foisted on them.

gav. 2 things.

1st and most importantly, if you take any notice of suggy you'll end up as daft.

2. Suggy is a mate o' fordy's. They spend enough time winding each other up as it is!!!!

The very fact you've bitten and gone and posted the above is enough to fuel the short ar sed little go sheeite for ages!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gav. 2 things.

1st and most importantly, if you take any notice of suggy you'll end up as daft.

2. Suggy is a mate o' fordy's. They spend enough time winding each other up as it is!!!!

The very fact you've bitten and gone and posted the above is enough to fuel the short ar sed little go sheeite for ages!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah I see!

As you were... :D

Hi Gav, like to put some meat on the bones of this claim of yours of why Fev aren't 'twinned'?

http://www.totalrl.c...ly/page__st__20 Post #29

"Is that the case though? Or did you 'opt out' because your desired club already linked up with someone?"

Nothing further to add then Gav? Or are you just (conveniently) ignoring this like you did Old Rover's question as to why you think 5 is good, 6 is bad earlier in the thread?

And by the way, why if, as you keep telling everyone, these DR players have to prove their worth before displacing clubs' players did you choose 4 Hull palyers ahead of those actually contracted to York in the team you would select to play Whitehaven? Hardly supporting your assertion that it's the best York squad for a number of years is it?

And by the way, why if, as you keep telling everyone, these DR players have to prove their worth before displacing clubs' players did you choose 4 Hull palyers ahead of those actually contracted to York in the team you would select to play Whitehaven?

'Cos they were the key players in a team which put 60 on our players last week.

'Cos they were the key players in a team which put 60 on our players last week.

So your best squad for ages is poop then? If these 'fringe' players were so instrumental in the destruction York last week it's still likely to be a long hard seasoneven with them in the side. Let's hope they're commited to the cause eh?

And I see 3 contracted players have decided to leave too. Work commitments of course ;)

So your best squad for ages is poop then? If these 'fringe' players were so instrumental in the destruction York last week it's still likely to be a long hard seasoneven with them in the side. Let's hope they're commited to the cause eh?

And I see 3 contracted players have decided to leave too. Work commitments of course ;)

That's the problem with this system les a lot of players will want to leave if they are not getting a game through this system. I fear before the seasons over a lot will leave clubs through out the season and then that's when the system will become 6 DR players can play and so on till the link up clubs are full of them because they won't have many players left.It makes me laugh when you see fans of these clubs hoping a certain player will be playing for their squad this weekend from the SL clubs.

Our "best squad for ages" isn't really saying a lot now is it. I'd say it's the best squad we've had since 2004, now that was a good team. Seem to remember putting the Mighty Fev to the sword 4 times in that season, even though we were in the division below.

And the 3 players who've left haven't trained with us this season and 2 of them have never even donned the shirt, so you can hardly blame DR for that, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

Our "best squad for ages" isn't really saying a lot now is it. I'd say it's the best squad we've had since 2004, now that was a good team. Seem to remember putting the Mighty Fev to the sword 4 times in that season, even though we were in the division below.

And the 3 players who've left haven't trained with us this season and 2 of them have never even donned the shirt, so you can hardly blame DR for that, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

Well you can Gav.

My mate was talking to a prominent player of a CC club who have aligned themselves with a club for a bucket full of DR players.

He suggests that the signed on players are more than dischuffed with the situation. Not knowing if they will be selected or displaced by a DR player. Not knowing if they might play to get a win bonus etc?? That player went on to suggest that at his club at least, it is seriously affecting the morale of the signed on squad from that club.

It doesn't take much more for a player who knows he might be subject to being replaced by a DR player to say "sod it, I've had enough"!

Well you can Gav.

My mate was talking to a prominent player of a CC club who have aligned themselves with a club for a bucket full of DR players.

He suggests that the signed on players are more than dischuffed with the situation. Not knowing if they will be selected or displaced by a DR player. Not knowing if they might play to get a win bonus etc?? That player went on to suggest that at his club at least, it is seriously affecting the morale of the signed on squad from that club.

It doesn't take much more for a player who knows he might be subject to being replaced by a DR player to say "sod it, I've had enough"!

I've not said that isn't going to happen, in fact I reckon it will, but that has happened to us every year with players leaving as they aren't getting a game - regardless of if its been a DR player who's taken their place. Sadly it's a fact of life when players are on match terms only, I could name 20 players who've left the club after not getting to play. It's just not the case with the 3 players who've left already.

well the season is upon us, and we will find out, i still fear the worst.

What are you worried about, OR ?

Nobody's tied into this. If it's not working, it'll stop happening.

Well you can Gav.

Then I would say their attitude is not good enough for this level of rugby.

Nobody's tied into this. If it's not working, it'll stop happening.

Yep, this.

Then I would say their attitude is not good enough for this level of rugby.

Fair enough... I wasn't looking for an analysis of suitability - or competence.

I'm just commenting on some of the players at this level, one from your own club, who maybe affected by the concept of Dual Registering players.

Their morale is affected. As will be their performance.

If you thinks that's a manageable risk, fair do's. Not a problem. Thankfully my club hasn't gone down that route.

to be honest i'm tired of going over this. we all have our own thoughts. my worry is that the worst case scenario will become reality. best thing now is to wait and see.

to be honest i'm tired of going over this. we all have our own thoughts. my worry is that the worst case scenario will become reality. best thing now is to wait and see.

I agree OR but it won't effect us really unless there is no teams to play. Then we have a problem but I know what you mean it's a recipe for disaster but time will tell if me and you are right or if gav and a few more are right.

Well you can Gav.

Tommy Haughey said exactly the same things in a YEP interview a couple of years ago.

Fair enough... I wasn't looking for an analysis of suitability - or competence.

I'm just commenting on some of the players at this level, one from your own club, who maybe affected by the concept of Dual Registering players.

Their morale is affected. As will be their performance.

If you thinks that's a manageable risk, fair do's. Not a problem. Thankfully my club hasn't gone down that route.

And this is indeed the point. B)

Well that didn't take long for clubs to abuse the system.

Paul Wood and 6 other Warrington players in Swinton's squad for Sunday.

So much for my optimism...! :dry:

Well you can Gav.

There is an answer to that Robin. Give those DR players, no doubt on more cash than the regulars, plenty of "hospital" passes. Make them work for a living.