Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

faithfulbyname

Seriously underwhelming...

63 posts in this topic

Reading Hadfield's piece I scrolled down the page looking for the rest of it..........

Andy is an ex-SRL player and a huge fan of the game.

He's paid to call it as he sees it, not to act as a cheerleader.

Personally, I think he's about spot on and I agree 100% about the silly top eight play-offs which, in my opinion, take the shine off the whole campaign.

The original top five was perfect and even the top six was better. The top eight leaves me cold.

Andy is an ex-SRL player and a huge fan of the game.

He's paid to call it as he sees it, not to act as a cheerleader.

Personally, I think he's about spot on and I agree 100% about the silly top eight play-offs which, in my opinion, take the shine off the whole campaign.

The original top five was perfect and even the top six was better. The top eight leaves me cold.

Agree with you, top 5 for me.

As stated before, I have no problem with Andy, he is a big fan of the game. The issue I have is that all we seem to have in RL (at least national media wise) is people 'telling it like it is'. A little cheerleading would make a change I reckon.

All points taken.

Maybe we entered SL with a big one. Wigan

Then a big two Bradford, Then a big three Saints, Then a big four Leeds then a big five Warrington, let's hope for a big six with Hull this year.

A big seven with Catalans?

Getting there, doing OK I take the point.

Let's hope the Calder area one day throws up our big eighth sooner rather than later........

Points taken...

Huddersfield are bigger than Catalans tbf

So Catalans big 8

Not a bad article, though tad too negative. Could have pointed out how RL on the pitch remains the leading code, how attendances have held up well. We need to pick off the points one by one. 7 team play off would be better and more credible than the eight. Renewed respect for the challenge cup, title sponsor for SL a priority, as is bringing back the Lions tours, mid season home nation comp linked to a euro ladder - winner plays england, fresh from playing the Exiles on ANZAC day, four year rolling internationl programme etc etc etc.

Still we've made a good start in the most of challenging economic climates. Adapt and survive, it what we do !

The Premier league has become more of a three horse race in the last decade to its detriment in my opinion, I used to follow it from a distance some years ago, cant be arsed now its as boring as batshit.

As an outsider I find it hard to understand the popularity of the game and the foregone conclusions in many of the match ups....... (gotta be careful here) hardly seems like a contest or entertainment at all.

Thank God for League.

Wait until the mighty Bantams from Bradford City, the first RL champions, win the league cup and gate crash the European competition party :D

Wait until the mighty Bantams from Bradford City, the first RL champions, win the league cup and gate crash the European competition party :D

Manningham were NU champions that's true but they still played RU, not RL. They joined Association Football in 1903 whilst NU still had 15 a side.

Virtually every football league in the world is dominated by just a couple of teams yet these competitions are well funded and well supported. Why can't this be the case in Rugby league? I'd love to see different teams challenge for honours but it won't be a disaster if they don't. Getting all teams onto an equal level is a dream that can never be fully realised imho. Having four or five clubs out of fourteen who can potentially win the comp is pretty decent going i reckon, certainly compared to the premiership football where it will be won by one of three out of twenty until another billionaire takes a club over.

Not a bad article, though tad too negative. Could have pointed out how RL on the pitch remains the leading code, how attendances have held up well. We need to pick off the points one by one. 7 team play off would be better and more credible than the eight. Renewed respect for the challenge cup, title sponsor for SL a priority, as is bringing back the Lions tours, mid season home nation comp linked to a euro ladder - winner plays england, fresh from playing the Exiles on ANZAC day, four year rolling internationl programme etc etc etc.

Still we've made a good start in the most of challenging economic climates. Adapt and survive, it what we do !

A lot of points in there but I can't agree with Lions tours being of strategic importance. "It's the World Cup, stupid".

Agree with you, top 5 for me.

As stated before, I have no problem with Andy, he is a big fan of the game. The issue I have is that all we seem to have in RL (at least national media wise) is people 'telling it like it is'. A little cheerleading would make a change I reckon.

And that's really what I wish we had more of.....once we have established RL as a must-see event , then we can go and "tell it like it is" - but until then, we need to be more positive about the good things if we are ever to engage more than a tiny section of the population

So Catalans big 8

Huddersfield, while a growing club who have taken significant steps in the last 7/8 years, aren't bigger than Catalans on any measure that doesn't involve the pre-war era.

"After the appalling decision to retain the top-eight play-offs, …"

he's spot on there

Didnt realise it was under review?

Huddersfield, while a growing club who have taken significant steps in the last 7/8 years, aren't bigger than Catalans on any measure that doesn't involve the pre-war era.

Ok.

A lot of points in there but I can't agree with Lions tours being of strategic importance. "It's the World Cup, stupid".

World cup this year, but what's planned for 2014 let alone 2015

Thought it was a good article really. Pretty balanced. Plenty of positive at the moment in the game, but a few negatives too.

Andy Wilson like most RL journalists though, often can't help but fall into the trap of focusing on the negatives.

I expect George Riley's piece on RL finances will fall into the same trap on the BBC tomorrow. I'll be surprised if he puts the shocking state of some club finances into context, eg how well some clubs do; how we compare to the scale of debt compared to other sports; or even how the financial success of rugby league clubs compares to household names such as Comet & Jessops.

Andy Wilson like most RL journalists though, often can't help but fall into the trap of focusing on the negatives.

For all that we should be pleased that folk like Wilson aren't airhead cheerleaders for the sport they are the only voices out there.

And so all the public ever hears is gloom, gloom, gloom.

I hope the final para is the loudest message, even though it doesn't take away the fact that we are struggling (not as bad as some)

http://mobile.thetel...gue/?ref=twtrec

“The £60million combined debt of 11 Super League teams should be contextualised. The figure pales into insignificance compared to the debts accrued by Premiership and Championship football clubs and many Premiership rugby union clubs.”

Impeccable timing :dry: at season launch

It'll be drowned out by the sheer volume of coverage we get about the actual sport and what to look out for on the field.

Oh.

we need as fans to give a solid finger to this and talk about how excited we are for the season, drown it out

I hope the final para is the loudest message, even though it doesn't take away the fact that we are struggling (bot as bad as some)

http://mobile.thetel...gue/?ref=twtrec

“The £60million combined debt of 11 Super League teams should be contextualised. The figure pales into insignificance compared to the debts accrued by Premiership and Championship football clubs and many Premiership rugby union clubs.”

That'll have any potential sponsors queuing up to get involved for this season.... :unsure:

we need as fans to give a solid finger to this and talk about how excited we are for the season, drown it out

Hmmm ... have you met many RL fans?

Hmmm ... have you met many RL fans?

Exactly! Jon Wilkin said the other week that if he could fix one thing in RL, it would be our own negativity about the sport. He likened the attitude of many people in RL to someone liking a cosy, quiet, little restaurant. They don't want to tell anyone else how good it is, in case more people start coming and it stops being the cosy, quite little restaurant.

Reading Hadfield's piece I scrolled down the page looking for the rest of it..........

Not just me then. :unsure:

Looks to me as though it's been heavily edited. It would be interesting to see these articles in their entirety as originally written before the papers editors get at them.

It'll be drowned out by the sheer volume of coverage we get about the actual sport and what to look out for on the field.

Oh.

On the same weekend that some RU internationals get played you mean?

So Catalans big 8

Only for half of the season though.

So Big 7½